Crashed last week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
Well, last Wednesday I got into my first accident. I rear-ended a couple of years old Acura TL. Man the Cruiser takes a while to stop!
I was in surface street traffic, light turned green, we were moving, then I was watching a guy in the right lane trying to move into my lane and when I looked back in my lane the Acura was on the brakes hard. I hit my brake and then hit him. Everyone was fine and we were just happy it wasn't worse.
Anyway, I am posting in here first because I am looking for parts that I can pick-up rather than ship such as the brackets that attach the bumper to the frame, a new bumper, & a front body panel that surrounds the marker lights.
I am going to get a quote from a shop this week and have AAA cut me a check. The only part that I am going to have the body shop do is the front corners of the fenders that the bumper dinged and chipped. The rest I can hopefully score from you guys and install myself. So let me know if you have any parts.
Here are the pics, not too bad!
P1010001.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010010.JPG

The best part was that this accident didn't hinder me from taking my gurl to Guadalupe Canyon this past weekend. Look for that thread tomorrow.

Glad your ok bro. Time for a new bumper. No biggie. Another reason to upgrade!

You think your rig is hard to stop now? Wait till you add 2,000 lbs of crap to it.

Oh yeah, they don't swerve to easy either;)

That's why i have to drive like a big rig truck driver with our 80.

Once again, glad your ok dude.

I had a punk back into me at the gas station, did about the same amount of damage.

Got a 1800 dollar check and bought the Slee shortbus, a set of MT sliders and had a hundred bucks left over for gas and taco's.

Now I wish someone could tap my rear bumper and I can get a 4x4labs and a winch!

glad your'e okay, give yourself lots of distance, most punks won't jump in front of you.

Glad your good and whole Bluetribal. :cool:

Got a 1800 dollar check and bought the Slee shortbus, a set of MT sliders and had a hundred bucks left over for gas and taco's.

Now I wish someone could tap my rear bumper and I can get a 4x4labs and a winch!

Oooooooooh. Thats it!

Ive been doing it the hard way in getting my mods! :doh:
Remember not to open own wallet when buying mods.

Dont let your insurance company hear you say that.

Shoot! We pay enough, i wouldn't feel bad! We pay more than anyone in the country just about for Insurance!
We deserve to take them for a ride every once in a while. (im lucky enough to never have had the chance)

Now if we can figure out how to screw the oil companies out of the gas prices lol

Yeah, on my last ride (S-10) I got hit by an 18 wheeler tire on the freeway and the guy visited the shop and accounted for rock chips in the paint, and a busted passenger mirror that I had broken. And gave me a check for 1,200 so I had the door handles shaved off and popers added to my alarm.
I would have rather had someone bump me so I didn't get the ding on my record but hey since I am paying for his ride I might as well repair mine right! Plus since this is my first incident they said it shouldn't raise my rate.

since this is my first incident they said it shouldn't raise my rate.

dont count on it... they say that to keep you as a customer just wait till you get your next bill...

glad you are ok but with a cruiser it takes a major hit to hurt it/you.... thats the reason I pay the extra couple of hundred a month in fuel so that if someone hits my wife and kids they walk away ok...

I agree with everyone else time for an arb/slee and some touchup on the fenders...

Glad all are well. FWIW when I was hit the lady had AAA and they are good about issuing a check and letting you take care of the repairs. If you do take it to a body shop don't mention insurance just tell them you are taking care of it cash. You can probably negotiate a better deal and you wouldn't invite any possible conflict or AAA finding out. I would take off the bumper and brackets before you get the estimate or thell them that you will as they charge 1/2 hr rate just to ubolt the thing.

Good luck

They were good on giving me a check last time but they ask to make an apointment and let them know a day ahead of time so they can go to the shop and do an estimate. So it is pretty hard to not tell the shop about insurance. My plan is to tell them that I am getting a used bumper and hopefully front skin and I only need them to fix the front fender corners.

I had them meet me at the tranny shop and do thier estimate there. I got the check a week or so later. I wish I had thought of this before as I could have gotten a Slee or 4x4 labs rear instead of replacing the factory crap. :doh:

Oh man, that bites. FWIW: I just did my Slee brake lines last weekend. New fluid and Christo's lines make a difference. I still need new rotors and pads though.

I've got good parts from my bumper. You can have anything you need. Let me know.

Are you going to make it to the Sandstone run tomorrow? If so, I can bring stuff with me.

BTW: We've got to do our PHH's soon!

I think its time to go with a big scary bumper like an ARB or something!

Not only is it protection on the trail, but I can assure you people think twice before cutting me off when they see that bad boy out front. I like to call it the "Bumper Effect" haha. I'm thinking of strapping a stuffed ET doll to strike even more fear into wreckless drivers

Good luck with the insurance claims, but now imagine trying to stop with FJ80 brakes!

LandCrusher'70 said:
Oh man, that bites. FWIW: I just did my Slee brake lines last weekend. New fluid and Christo's lines make a difference. I still need new rotors and pads though.

I've got good parts from my bumper. You can have anything you need. Let me know.

Reid, I left you a mesg on your phone so hit me up when you get a chance. Bluto is going to send me some brackets but if you have some and possibly a gray bumper I will get them off of you so I can just cruz up the road since my truck goes in the shop Tuesday.

Are you going to make it to the Sandstone run tomorrow? If so, I can bring stuff with me.

Not going to SS Canyon

BTW: We've got to do our PHH's soon!

YES, we need to do the PHH soon. I am reading that we should also replace starter contacts and something else while we are in there.

that guy said:
I think its time to go with a big scary bumper like an ARB or something!

NO, not an ARB for me Short But or one off but sliders and rear bumper more of a priority.

I just wanted to thank Bluto for offering up his bumper and Reid for hooking me up with his bumper and doing most of the driving for meeting up. This will help me buy some time from spending $$ on a Short Bus Slee before the sliders. There is an order to my armor madness!

Well truck goes into the shop tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

Well, this didn't work out... Apparently AAA has stopped cutting checks on liability claims. So right now I am sitting at $900 that AAA will pay the shop to fix the tuck and I have a $500 deductible. They won't put the used bumper I got from Reid on and if I take it away now there is a $300 service and storage fee from the shop. So for $200 more dollars I might as well get the dang thing fixed. Oh and they still won't tell me if my insurance is gong to go up or not.
Slomo I should have listened to you in your post but they are pretty adamant about you having an appt. at a shop. Oh well, expensive lesson, and the thing that sucks is I would have been fine with the dinged and chiped fender corners.

OK, so here is the deal. I ended up calling the Bureau of Automotive Repair and because the paper I had signed and had a copy of had NO pricing written in on it except $50 storage fee the Bureau told me I should not have to pay for what I thought would be a quote. So they told me to get my truck out of there so I don't get another storage fee so I planned on just paying the $300 to get it out. In hopes I would get it back.
When I got to the shop I told them don't even put the bumper back on and to give me the keys and I will pay. The owner must have noticed that the sheet was empty on pricing so he acted like he was doing me a favor and didn't charge me the full $300 and only $100 for storage fees. So that was less $$ out of my pocket and not sure if I am going to go after the $100 because it was a miss understanding on both parties.

And as for insurance I found out that because I have a lean on my truck and am making payments that's why they don't send me a check. They need to show proof to the lean holder that the vehicle was fixed correctly. But unlike the shop thought I don't have to put a stock bumper back on, I am able to work something out with the shop to upgrade the stock bumper to an after market bumper.

So as of now I have my jacked up bumper back on with a bracket from Reids bumper and my corners pieces are off since they still rub on the body. I am in the market for a bumper filler the panel that holds the turn signals just below the grill. They are around $90 on ebay but I would like to score one off of a parted out Desert Dune cruiser so I don't have to get it painted. So if any of you come across a desert dune rig at a parts yard or on here please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom