crap! Front oil seal leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got the beast running. I've spent the last several months putting in a "runs great" '71 engine w/ 4 spd and manual xfer in my '70 cruiser. I hadn't really worked on anything since my VW back in the '70s, so this has really been an educational experience.

But, when I hit the road with it oil came out the front end. Looks like the seal behind the pulley. Several threads caution me to wipe and look carefully, that if it is the front seal it really isn't a big deal, just time and patience. I can buy that, but that damn pulley has me woried.

My old engine's fell off, and I found that there's no 'keeper' of any kind, just a key. So,
How the heck do I get it off, and what's the best way to get it back on and make sure it stays on? One thread said something about dry ice?

A 71 should have a nut, not just the press-on method.

Front seal

Howdy, I was in the same place about 3 years ago, my TLC was my first project car and "real" mechaniking since my '62 bug rebuild back in '74. I am swapping a '72 into mine and mine original '66 F(fried) motor had the press-on pulley, too. From the looks on the nose of it, they were put on with a toyota SST BFH.

Regarding your engine work, Check Jeff Zepp's site at
http://rzeppa.org/ - his was the first site I found in my TLC online education, and his tech pages are great - almost as good as the "How to keep your volkwagen alive" book in hominess. he discusses pulling the front pulley from an F in his cam change tech article at http://rzeppa.org/tech/cam.htm. I followed the breaker bar on the frame technique that Jeff talks about to get the nut off and it works great but youll need a puller to get the pulley off.
I pulled and replaced my seal when my timing chain cover was off, so I don't know how much of a PITA it is with the radiator on. When you get it off, check the seal surface for wear (grooves) and if it's grooved, pick up a Speedi-sleeve for it; a pump or farm & heavy equipment supply store should have them, or a machine shop, and the part numbers are given in several threads on this forum. Chicago rawhide has a x reference book, too, but just ask here if you cant find it. Feel free to pm me - I'm up in Nor Cal too.
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom