CRAP!!! Did the Birfs and still clicking!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo I finished up the Birfs today and put it all back and road tested it..........and the damn "click click click" is still there when I come to a stop. Sooo, I am now going to remove the front drive shaft and see if the angle is too much on the u-joints (I did a J spring lift with caster plate correction and Mr gasket up front). The good part is that the birfs needed to be serviced since the seals were failing and the oil mixed with the grease. I thought it was a cool job to do it anyway, I really did learn a lot. So, has anyone else had this mystery "click click click" after they have done a lift? It could be the birf on the driver side but it really did look good and I replaced everything (Cdan hooked me up with the right stuff) and cleaned it all. Who knows, I guess I am back to the driveline and see how that works out! :confused:

The clicking is when I am slowing down to a stop.....about 15 miles and under. It does do a little clicking when I have it in low and cranking the wheel as far as it will go, but other than that, the clicking is when I let off the gas and coming to a stop. Strange I know, soo I think its the driveline...Who knows!! :confused:

hod did the brass inner look on your spidle when you did the birf job? can you tell if its louder on one side or is it both sides?

mike

Have someone drive it slowly in an open area and walk around it and see if you can determine where it's coming from. Birfs click loudest when the wheels are fully turned and your on the power. Most of the time bad u-joints are also felt as a vibration at higher speed. A click that you just hear could be a lot of things, is it speeding up with the motor, or in time with the wheels?

One of our favorite things to do to new techs that were too smart for their britches was, put a zip tie around the driveshaft leaving the tail sticking out, everytime the driveshaft turned the tail would click on the body driving them crazy, some would tare the car apart trying to find it!

Well the brass inner looked good, but this was my first time ever doing this so who knows. As for the sound, its only there when your coming to a stop, that is why I am guessing (and I am just guessing for real) that it might be u-joints. If I crank the wheel all the way to one side and give it gas there is a minor clicking but nothing like when I am coming to a stop. Crap, I guess I will just have to lay underneath the beast tomorrow and stare up at all the things that could be causing the problem...ie:driveshaft, perhaps front driver side rotor, something stuck where it shouldnt be, who knows. Thanks for the suggestions so far and I will keep you posted. :beer:

is it only wen braking? you say coming to a stop does it do it when u roll to a stop? My guess is its brakes. have you checked to see if the wire is still there that holds the pins for the pads? some times the pin will go missing and the pads will tap or slap the rotor.

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom