Cracked intake manifold repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the small crack on the carburetor side of my intake manifold and decided to pull it to see what else it could be hiding. After pulling it out it became apparent that the PO did a repair job on the exhaust side. The repair looks pretty good to me, except for the extra material on the carburetor side that needs to be ground down. There was also an exhaust block off plate with the flapper and spring removed, it was in decent shape but I still am going to replace it.

Does anyone see any issues with me cleaning this manifold up and putting it back in the rig? I've never personally came across this before, I'd like to hear what people think about the repair job.

Thanks

IMG_20190831_203559.jpg

IMG_20190831_203541.jpg

That is a common place for the intake to crack, due to the excess heat from the exhaust manifold being used to preheat the intake. Personally, I always detach the exhaust manifold from the intake and use a piece of 1/4" thick steel for the block-off. That requires that the mating area of the intake be milled to clear the block-off plate and the bolts holding it. I live where there is virtually no winter, so I don't need the heat. There is no problem with you using the intake as it is, regardless of whether you keep the manifolds connected, or detach and isolate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom