Cottonland Overland Opine Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a bit short, but I like the size and it was cheap.

8916956E-4298-4412-8DA0-0917C0353BA0.jpeg

Reactions: dnp
I think it’s a lot of truths mixed with some self-righteousness.

Look at yourself...huge social media presence, but a grass-roots off-roader with years of experience building rigs and a hobby born of both wanderlust and an appreciation for Toyota 4x4s and, especially, Land Cruisers.

You’re an OG according to the author...but your social media isn’t just a record for your inner circle of self-made wheeling buddies as he says it should be...it is for all walks of off-road, Toyota, Land Cruiser and 4x4 enthusiasts...including web-wheelers and the Millenials he complains about.

He’s likely a great guy, very likely a friend of yours...but he never indicates in the article that these
social media posers are actually treading heavily or trashing trails or aiding in the extinction of the spotted owl...in fact, he says they pose on a patch of dirt and then pack-up and go home. If he offered some proof of his damning accusations, I’d be happy to lump them in with all the other millennial snow flakes I’ve experienced in the last few years...but it seems like the most heinous offense is buying a 4Runner, paying to have it built, financing it, then pretending to overland and putting pictures and hashtags on social media. Silly.

You think his article is ridiculous or the trend @dnp?
His article. All experts were novices at some point. I'm not crazy about the trend he's shunning, and there are definitely kooks who can ruin any situation, but his position seems to be, if you're not an OG overlander and you don't do all of your own wrenching, you don't have the cred to be out there........someone was probably saying that about him when he started out

Yeah I rarely see these people anywhere but the internets either but they are the “Jeepers do it better” and “If you can read this turn Me over” guys

I’m just gonna call what I do what it is.

Car camping off mostly gravel roads to see the most scenic areas I can

I just had a chance to read the article.. I see a lot of parallels to my rock days, I know a guy that spent probably close to 80k on a tube chassis bad ass bronco and has probably never seen a 5 rated trail. Remember when the Jeep rubicon first came out? Everyone talking about buying one and being a instant wheeler instead of building based on experience on what worked or didn’t. We’ve all seen this in the “ overlanding” or the “crawling” crowd. As far as the social media goes, I have no real input, as I don’t participate, but it is getting new people out there, and hopefully they will raise a outdoor family, rather than in the direction the man bun urban crowd seem to be heading. My only regret on the social media or website posting is we are losing our private places when all it takes is for one guy to post up coordinates or how to get to a cool spot that they probably had someone share with them. It then winds up trashed from overuse or by people with no respect for what a awesome place that is. We all know this carries over to all aspects of outdoor activity, I’ve had hunting spots ruined after I showed it to a guy I was trying to help out, who then took his buddies to his new spot. This is the same in all aspects of about all activities. We old guys way before the term “overlanding” was ever used, have beat and scratched our rigs exploring looking for that special spot, then doing a trail repair way the heck back in the woods on a 25 year old rig that we know inside out , only to find some guy in that spot from another state who saw it online. It’s great he is out there doing what he is, but as in a new guy rock crawling in a 80k rig he had built , Or the guy that kills a a pope and young buck from a place someone put him on, then posts hero shots all over social media. I harbor a thought that maybe he hasn’t earned it . Right or wrong I think that’s a fairly common thought process from us old guys that think we have put in the legwork before we had social media to show us the way. I have a son in law who is a awesome guy and has always been a outdoor guy but never has done any type of vehicle based camping or wheeling, he recently bought a 4 runner and a new offroad camper and is very excited to take my daughter and thier 2 young kids camping, I’m very excited as well and know he is humble and has the respect for the land and those special places that he will do it right and instill that into his kids. Those are the ones in the future that will pass on the ethics and respect for the land we all want to see. We were all new at one time. Sorry I kinda got off topic but that article parallels so many other things in life

Last edited:
According to his article, I fit his profile of an IG Overlander. I have never rock crawling, I’ve never built a rig from the ground up, I haven’t been on a multi-week expedition to try and cross the Darian Gap; but rather I bought a vehicle and bought all my gear, and I take pictures of my vehicles and gear and post to social media.

Fortunately, I was introduced to the right crowd of “overlanders” from the beginning. I bought an 80 series already mostly built and on our first trip Nolan took me under his wing to show me the ropes. I have continued to buy vehicles and buy parts and pay some people to do work on them for me but I don’t think that makes me a “poser” or fake overlander. I think a lot of it comes down to who you choose to surround yourself, luckily I fell into a group that respects the outdoors and the sport in its purest form.

That first experience cultivated a desire to continue with vehicle bound exploration of the country which has now grown into a main hobby of mine. I don’t think posting to social media is bad in itself, but I absolutely don’t agree with people sharing GPS coordinates to hard to reach places for the masses to see. I have a dent in the door of my 80 that’s gonna cost a lot of money to fix but i got that dent while finding a super awesome campsite in the Ozarks and you must be crazy if you think I’m going to share that spot.

According to his article, I fit his profile of an IG Overlander. I have never rock crawling, I’ve never built a rig from the ground up, I haven’t been on a multi-week expedition to try and cross the Darian Gap; but rather I bought a vehicle and bought all my gear, and I take pictures of my vehicles and gear and post to social media.

Fortunately, I was introduced to the right crowd of “overlanders” from the beginning. I bought an 80 series already mostly built and on our first trip Nolan took me under his wing to show me the ropes. I have continued to buy vehicles and buy parts and pay some people to do work on them for me but I don’t think that makes me a “poser” or fake overlander. I think a lot of it comes down to who you choose to surround yourself, luckily I fell into a group that respects the outdoors and the sport in its purest form.

That first experience cultivated a desire to continue with vehicle bound exploration of the country which has now grown into a main hobby of mine. I don’t think posting to social media is bad in itself, but I absolutely don’t agree with people sharing GPS coordinates to hard to reach places for the masses to see. I have a dent in the door of my 80 that’s gonna cost a lot of money to fix but i got that dent while finding a super awesome campsite in the Ozarks and you must be crazy if you think I’m going to share that spot.
Perfect example for my original comments. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom