Costco trip gone bad.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we take the family to Costco yesterday, we get out of the car and my wife says " well aren't you going to lock the door?" I said " I don't have the key you do?" She says "I had the key but I put it back in the house"

What??????

So here is what happened when we are loading up the car to go. I was in the driver side, she reaches in to put the baby in the car. The key is "inside the car" so the green light comes on and I start the car, she says I need to get something inside the house can you finish putting the baby in the car... so i get out and finish, she runs in the house to get her things decides it's too hot for a jacket, drops off the jacket and the key inside the jacket pocket. I get back into the driver side seat and just drive to costco, we had my wife, kids, mom and dad so it was kind of hectic and I didn't notice the no key things flashing on the dashboard.

Needless to say it looks like if you start the land cruiser with the key in the car and then you take the key out, you can drive for a while and the car doesn't shut off or anything, until you shut it off. Luckily we only live 5 minutes away from costco... I walked home grabbed the key hopped in the FJ and drove back to costco and locked the Land Cruiser door.

Seriously dumb so dumb...

I feel your pain.....hope you had your pedometer on.

Haha! I always wondered what would happen if you drove it without the key. Now I know...thanks!

I was at the parts counter of a Toyota dealership in Las Vegas last year and was told the story of a couple who had driven all the way to Vegas from San Diego ... and left the key fob in San Diego :censor:

I was telling myself I am glad this is only a 10 minute walk it could have been much worse

I was at the parts counter of a Toyota dealership in Las Vegas last year and was told the story of a couple who had driven all the way to Vegas from San Diego ... and left the key fob in San Diego :censor:

So what do you do in a case like this? Find a way to get the key shipped to you, or get a tow to the nearest dealership and get a new key for $$$? Just curious, in case I find myself in the same situation.

I understood the solution was $$$$ for a new key fob from the dealer :bang:

From my experience an alarm goes off if the door is closed without the key. You get the three beeps once you close the door and if you remove it from park it's a continous beep. I'll try it out today (if you put the key in area for the coins in front of the gear lever it doesn't get a reading, it's as if the key is not in the vehicle.)

My bad. It's the open door that gives a continous beep and then keeps beeping at you when you drive off. No key just one bong :confused: you'd think there'd be more of a warning.

My instrument dash screen reads out "no key detected" .... Something like that. Thank god it's verbiage and not in a woman's voice or I'd totally ignore it.

Last edited:
Haha.

So this how you could remedy that problem. Take the battery and the physical key out of the spare fob. Put the fob in the glovebox or other hidden place and then put the physical key on a ziptie under the chassis in a secret hidden location. Now if you find yourself locked out or without the key you normally use you can get in and/or start the truck.

Consider removing the battery from the fob left inside the car---for a variety of reasons.

I think just pay attention to the center display... No key detected, no driving lol

Or you simply keep the fob in your pocket at all times. I have nothing on the key ring other than the fob / physical key. That sucker is always in my pocket, even if I am not driving the 200 that day.

Seriously, this seems like something that'd come up in testing that they'd realize they shouldn't allow it to drive without the key in the car. Why not just have it so the transmission lock won't disengage or something? Also, how'd they drive to Vegas without stopping the car for gas ot anything?

my battery in the fab gone bad . tool me a a while to find the answer on my iPhone on the web ho to start the car with smart key.

Best way to make sure this never happened again would of been to make your wife walk back home to get the key, since she is the one that forgot it!! My wife has her own key I have mine. I even have to remind her when we go to the gym that we can not lock her purse in the car unless she takes the key with her. Finally bought a key lock that she keeps in her purse to lock her purse in a locker in the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom