Costco Oil Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing of note is that the Costco oil does not seem to come in a synthetic high mileage variant. Is anyone concerned about that? I have been using high mileage Valvoline full syn oil in my 80 Series and it has reduced the minor leak I have, and otherwise works well. If the users on this board are planning to drive their 200 series for many years, why not use a high mileage oil? That is the reason I have not switched to the Costco oil. I'd rather pay a bit more for an additive package intended for higher miles engines (not longer oil change interval, mind you).

One thing of note is that the Costco oil does not seem to come in a synthetic high mileage variant. Is anyone concerned about that? I have been using high mileage Valvoline full syn oil in my 80 Series and it has reduced the minor leak I have, and otherwise works well. If the users on this board are planning to drive their 200 series for many years, why not use a high mileage oil? That is the reason I have not switched to the Costco oil. I'd rather pay a bit more for an additive package intended for higher miles engines (not longer oil change interval, mind you).
The additive package in HM oils has seal modifiers in it designed for engines that will benefit from restored pliability and “expansion” to prevent leaks.

2UZ and 3UR have no such seals. Zero benefit to run a HM oil, at any mileage.

The additive package in HM oils has seal modifiers in it designed for engines that will benefit from restored pliability and “expansion” to prevent leaks.

2UZ and 3UR have no such seals. Zero benefit to run a HM oil, at any mileage.

All of this can't be said enough. Seal swellers may slow or stop a leak, but in doing so they make the rubber prone to wearing even more quickly. Other than potentially slowing a leak, there is nothing in a high mileage oil that is necessary beyond what a modern synthetic changed often enough can do. 99.9% marketing hype.

Last edited:
All of this can't be said enough. Seal swellers may slow or stop a leak, but in doing so they make the rubber prone to wearing even more quickly. Other than potentially slowing a leak, there is nothing in a high mileage oil that is necessary beyond what a modern synthetic changed often enough can do. 99.9% marketing hype.
That's interesting. Posts on Bob Is The Oil Guy have led me to believe that HM oils contain more detergents, reducing sludge build-up more than non-HM oils. I'm no expert, just reporting what I have read.

That's interesting. Posts on Bob Is The Oil Guy have led me to believe that HM oils contain more detergents, reducing sludge build-up more than non-HM oils. I'm no expert, just reporting what I have read.
I'm glad you mentioned BITOG. A thread 1/257:

jk

You can do some deep dives over there. IIRC, they go into who (typically) makes the Kirkland oil and compare it to other majors. Project farm on YT may have also dome some sort of tournament type of video including it.

Routine oil changes are THE BEST preventative measure towards sludge accumulation. Not HM oil. Toyota V8s don’t sludge if maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom