Cost of assembling a homebrew turbo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
I have notes written down about what parts I need to turbo the 3B, manifold, turbo, oil lines, gauges etc...

It was sort of a moot point before as I had a budget of $0, but I recently made a bit of money on a construction contract that isn;t dedicated to tuition, so I was wondering...

Is there someone who, for a fee, would help me locate components and install said components? I can surf eBay as well as the next guy, but I can't afford to f-up my daily driver by incorrectly routing oil lines or water lines etc.

The install help could be at-a-distance, I'm savvy enough to follow directions and have all the tools.

For starters, what is a complete list of items needed for a budget turbo install on a 3B BJ70 with factory idiot lights (no oil pres. gauge, no tach, no pyro etc)?

What would you charge to walk me through the install once I gathered up all the bits?

Food for thought.

the cost is totally different for everyone. I probably paid more for turbo(junkyard) but a lot less than new.
how are you going to do the manifold? you need an adapter from Wayne and maybe an adapter to mount a Garrett....

or you could go see Radd Cruiser and talk about a denco....... I haven't heard of many running the denco on here. maybe he will give you a screaming deal.....

since your 3bII the 13b-t manifold doesn't fit. thats why I said adapter from Wayne...

I would figure on a little less than 1k when all is said an done. so put in some fees for help...maybe a kit is worth it. I dunno

since I got a basic 3b, I think it was easier. Wayne's the guy who can be of most assistance, since he has done the 3bII turbo.

as far as plumbing goes... I would only worry about oil lines, cap the water jackets and forget about them. I don't know what you need for oil px. see if you have the bsp hole in the oil gallery. since its on the 3b it must be on your engine.

good luck. and good patience.... as I am starting to find out. there is a lot of fab work required. relocation of heater lines and manufacture of a intake tube that doesn't hit the valve cover. uuugh.

these are things I never realised until the day I started. so prep work is required.
but its impossible to foresee all.

I've come to the conclusion that I have a 3B with a rotary pump, rather than an actual 3B-II. I think therefore that the manifold selection should be easier.

I'm on the fence about flipping the manifold or buying a 13B, looks are important to me (I'm an ugly bastard, I mean my truck) but so is money.

BBear, if you have a digital, could you record your progress as you go along?

Thanks for the advice.

brownbear said:
or you could go see Radd Cruiser and talk about a denco....... I haven't heard of many running the denco on here. maybe he will give you a screaming deal......

Last time I queried Rob for the cost of the Denco kit, it was like $2k USD--forget how much in CAD$. I'm going to watch the exchange rates and get one when the rates are favorable for the USers. Which will be when? :confused:

Kits are for wimps, like me. But then again I also don't want to screw up my perfectly good 3B, and I hate running around getting parts etc.

B

Island Moose said:
I've come to the conclusion that I have a 3B with a rotary pump, rather than an actual 3B-II. I think therefore that the manifold selection should be easier.

I'm on the fence about flipping the manifold or buying a 13B, looks are important to me (I'm an ugly bastard, I mean my truck) but so is money.

BBear, if you have a digital, could you record your progress as you go along?

Thanks for the advice.

ok, I will record the progress.

a flipped manifold just might not fit under your hood. ask wesintl. he was trying that I thought.

also have a look at your oil filter, mine is down and out of the way, I am told some are angled up and would interfer with the 13b-t manifold....

brownbear said:
a flipped manifold just might not fit under your hood. ask wesintl. he was trying that I thought.

Yeah.. I suspect it would only fit with this little d-50 unit. Bj 40, 42, 60's might have more room. I could get the d-50 to fit with a banjo type fitting for the oil but then the heat might be too much for the paint only ~1" away from the hood. there is no way a bigger turbo would fit unless you made an adapter or redid the manifold. I think I'm going to do a body lift if I do the d-50. I have no $ right now and bigger issues to fix so i'm stalled on my turbo. I really normally like doing s*** myself and making things but this project is a PITA. I would either buy the 3bt manifold and a NEW turbo or buy the denco or axt kit on a project like this. that's my .02 :cheers:

brownbear said:

also have a look at your oil filter, mine is down and out of the way, I am told some are angled up and would interfer with the 13b-t manifold....

My oil filter projects upward...(sigh)...and would be a problem if the 13BT manifold dumps from the middle.

I think if I could get an impression from the stock manifold, I could have someone water-jet me a flange from which I could weld up my own manifold, maybe a collector in the middle but straight out instead of down.

Of course, you could also flip the manifold and add a 90degree elbow prior to the turbo?

wesintl said:
heat might be too much for the paint only ~1" away from the :cheers:

I don't think I inch would be a problem. that gives you room to put in a heat shield glued to the hood. and as well the inside heat blanket that comes with the truck should handle it.

they make lots of reflective padding with heat blanket stuff padded inside'

I will have tight clearences too with the firewall. all I can do is stuff a piece of stainlesss steel between,.

for Moose. ask around about the kits... ask how the overcome the oil filter issues. call sheldon and ask about this problem. He's the guy who first told me it could be a problem before I got my manifold. but you could always try to see if it fits.

all I know is lifes too short to go 60 kms up a not so steep hill.....time for a turbo!!

brownbear said:
all I know is lifes too short to go 60 kms up a not so steep hill.....time for a turbo!!

I hear you buddy!

brownbear said:
I

You ever get caught in the left lane at a stoplight on the highway?, you can't get over because the right lane is passing you, and the guys behind you are loading a round into the chamber...."come on baby!!"...as you start bouncing in the seat like a kid on a toboggan!

I dunno what it is but it seems like a waste to me, my 3b is just fine the way it is, maybe its just me.

I would rather put money into some FF cable locking axles!!!

Almost everyone who went turbo including the installs I have completed all say one thing "best mod I could of done".

That being said its thier dailey driver and when you live at altitude or even drive at altitude you will understand why.

We did the shake down on the FJ45 1HZ and it suffered on the long hills going into whistler. Seemingly a Denco will be fitted to this engine. We are running the 3:70 H55 and 33 inch tires.

As for the home brew turbo, flipping the manifold and dumpster diving for a turbo at the wreckers or looking in the island buy sell would be a inexpensive choice. I completely agree with capping the water side also, just add a turbo timer or as one of my customers said"listen to one song then shut it down" this is what he did in the farm combine.

Building your own manifold sounds like fun, I have the time to try something like that. Bruce (Lowenbrau) built one recently he posted up, not sure of the outcome?

Rob

Eric,

Have you been to BC man? I've never been to Ontario, but I am getting a little tired of getting passed up hill by big rigs and grandpa, who slows down on the downhill which I need to get my speed up so I don't have to shift into second gear going up the next hill!

Just bought a garrett T3 turbo to start my home brew kit

Ryan

Island Moose said:
You ever get caught in the left lane at a stoplight on the highway?, you can't get over because the right lane is passing you, and the guys behind you are loading a round into the chamber...."come on baby!!"...as you start bouncing in the seat like a kid on a toboggan!

oh ya! been there! the hopping up and down does make it go faster!

there are lots of situations on the highways were the lack of power seems to be dangerous. in this little town i really have no problem with the power. But on the highway dealing with mountains and semi's.......

as well when I was in Calgary I had hard time merging onto highways, seemed very dangerous.

so I hope a turbo helps. I don't want v8 power. but I need to haul some gear and keep 80 up a hill.

next I will toss in some gears if it helps.

as far as lockers go....yes I am sure they are good. But smart driving in the bush can get you just as far unlocked. pick the path... not bulldoze thru it.
also I think unless you are a wheeling guru everyone should start without lockers. makes you a better driver. also less chance of snaping s***.

but if yur into rock crawling. then lockers be your thing. and turbo's arn't needed at idle. just lots of clutch material.

have fun and keep your wheels on the ground!

lucky said:
Just bought a garrett T3 turbo to start my home brew kit

Ryan
excellant.. have a look at my 13b-t to garrett thread if you need manifold ideas

Moose i've seen afew wrecked cruisers around that had the down projected filter. I think you can just bolt those on to the existing setup. I'm sure they didn't change the engine design just to flip the filter.
I've been thinking about the turbo thing to but think i might go with a kit. Nice clean install. After you factor in your time dickin around and fabbin crap it might be cheaper. But then i have little kids and time is at a premium.

If you need some help give me a call. I drink Lucky

Cheers

Challis

brownbear said:
there are lots of situations on the highways were the lack of power seems to be dangerous. in this little town i really have no problem with the power. But on the highway dealing with mountains and semi's.......

yeah, I bet hungry Hill is a real treat. I can just imagine the language that you are at least thinking... :censor:

My dad used to have an early eighties VW Westphalia. It had a whole 67 HP. It didn't have enough power to get out of its own way.

-Kevin

Technikev said:
yeah, I bet hungry Hill is a real treat. I can just imagine the language that you are at least thinking... :censor:

My dad used to have an early eighties VW Westphalia. It had a whole 67 HP. It didn't have enough power to get out of its own way.

-Kevin
lol, many many hills here. I don't care if I explode that damm litttle engine after I am boosted. if I can't do 80 up the hills. or I be dropping a large diesel in er.

actually I like the 3b. its fine. but seriously what was mister Yoda thinking. 90hp in a 5000lb truck. it would need 10 speeds to handle it. not a five speed with bad gear ratios. but I still love the truck.

downshift 2000rpm 4th 80 kmhr. now 3100 rpm 3rd and 65 kmh. hows that a good ratio?????? I want 500 rpm downshifts.

your bogged down, now yur screaming. so if your living to the pyro, screaming she be. I think I can I think I can.

but I think the 3b is just sweet at the fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom