Cordless Impact Wrench-recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need an impact wrench. These days it seems everything is battery operated. All of our vehicles now have 2 sets of wheels with tires to change (all terrain or sport 3 season set and a winter tire set), the John Deere requires impact wrench to remove any bolts, fluid changes/etc. Any recommendations pro/cons for a specific manufacturer or model would be greatly appreciated.

any brand name impact is pretty decent. best recommendation is to match you cordless drill, etc so you can share batteries. that said my 20v dewalt has been reliable it has about 600ft breaking torque. they even have a larger 20v model that does about 1200lt lb

The Milwaukee is pretty good as well.

Do you have an existing brand? If so, go with hmwhat you have batteries for. If you are jumping in new, my 3 lines would be Makita, Milwaukee and dewalt. Makita and Milwaukee have the best overall mechanics style line-ups, but it comes down to preference.

Agreed with both @fourtrax and @ceylonfj40nut - I borrowed my neighbor's super-HD Milwaukee for some needs, it was awesome. Then got my own Dewalt 20V 1/2" drive, the mid-range one (probably the same as Eric's). I suspect any reputable brand would be fine.

As important as the impact specs is the battery itself. A larger capacity/higher ah battery will generate more power for longer. I have Dewalt 2.0Ah and 4.0Ah batteries - the 2Ah came with a drill, the 4Ah with the impact. The 2Ah will power the impact but it'd be best for very light-duty or one-off work, whereas the 4Ah gives me the full power of the impact for longer.

Thank you guys for the input. I have 6 year old DeWalt 18v drill, which I suspect is 2ah. Only one of the 2 batteries holds a charge at this point. DeWalt has been my go to manufacturer; however, I have heard and read Better reviews of the Milwaukee line recently. I Purchased a Milwaukee circular saw a few years back due to reviews. It has impressed Me with its capabilities and durability.

the best enhancement was brushless motors a few years ago.

I like my dewalt impact (I think the same as what Eric and Allen have). Most of my power tools are yellow which makes using batteries across them all so much easier.

Yeah, battery is key. Look at other things that use the same battery in a line-up and decide which one looks like it has the things you'd like to add in the future, then just go with it. As has been noted, as long as you go with a reputable brand you should be good.

Detent vs Hog Ring Anvil: Is it personal preference or is one more superior in this cordless application?

Detent vs Hog Ring Anvil: Is it personal preference or is one more superior in this cordless application?

For wheels and stuff it wouldn't matter. The ring holds it more firmly in place though because it is constant pressure through the connection while the pin is just at the one point and the socket will still pivot (rock) a bit.

The rings will need to be replaced after a while, not super hard. No idea if the pins do.

Last edited:
the detent can be a pain cause you have to depress it with a awl or nail or such to remove the socket. unless you really crank on it. it will usually loosen up over time.

the hogs ring is great at first but as AL mentioned it becomes a POA unless you replace it .

pick your poison

I went corded for 1/2 impact. Whatever the Lowe’s brand is. It had two more years of warranty (five) than a similar Dewalt (less umph) model. So far it has abused a half a dozen different cars with no issue. I HIGHLY recommend the wobbly Impact extension too. The hog ring is a pain to get the socket on until you practice a little.

Hog ring anvil for sure. The detent is a PITA if you're changing out sockets or extensions a lot.

Whatever you get, pick a battery ecosystem first, impact second. If you already have yellow tools, get a yellow impact. If red, red, etc. Batteries and chargers are the more expensive prat of cordless tools in most cases, so go with what you've already got.

It's funny that even these power tools have become walled gardens - like iphone vs android, windows vs mac. I suspect via adapters batteries can be used across colored lines. Just hate that everything is moving toward committing to one ecosystem, then you're hostage.

I guess we could all just use hand tools; or air tools or plug-in tools (standard connector zOMG!!!11!!!1!).

Can't really add much that somebody else has already said, like if you already have something in 20V, get something of the same brand. Like Jon said, I have the Dewalt DCF894 and I love it. All the power that I've needed so far. I liked it so much, I got it's little brother, the DCF887 for lighter duty work. If you're gonna be using it on a tractor, you may want the even bigger brother, the DCF899. That's the one that Eric is talking about that has 1,200 ft./lbs. of breakaway torque.

Milwaukee M18 High torque for sure. I went with the mid-torque and it works awesome, but every now and then I have to get out the old IR and hook it up to an air line for something that's extra stuck. Since you mentioned working on a tractor I'm guessing you need the high torque.

How does the friction ring work compared to the detent or anivl ring?

Thanks guys for all the input. With the 6+ yr old 18V yellow being on its last leg, I get to chose the ecosystem.

For most things I go with the motto, you get what you pay for and 1 more expensive item is better then maintaining 2. Hence we own the JD 4005 with a 6' finish mower and no lawnmower. The Milwaukee M18" High Torque and the DCF899 are the final competitors, Price and understanding Milwaukee's friction ring are the remaining factors.

I've been using Makita brushless stuff and love it. Batteries are several years old now, charge fast, and last a long time. Don't rule them out if you see a good sale or something, but I can't imagine it's any better than the other quality brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom