Copper and Rust (72 FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I’m going to go the route of pulling the body all the way off the frame. It’s a lot more work but at least I know I will be able to get all of the rust. The parts of the body that I thought were ok have about 1/2” of bondo and are not I. Great condition. Here are a couple of pics of the progress.

Pics

IMG_1049.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

The advantage of doing bodywork on the frame is that it will keep it in proper specs. Kinda like a jig. This does nothing however when you need to body mounts. My advice is do as much as you can on the frame and continue bracing. Enjoy the madness.

We’ll…. I found out last week that I will be moving to the Pittsburgh area. Now my timeline to get the rug back “driving” again is pretty accelerated.

Question for you guys. Are the rear corner panels spot welded to the rear sill support (in the curved portion)? The quarters are not going in as smoothly as I had hoped and I may need to weld them to get them to sit right but I also don’t want to do something that is totally out of the box.

IMG_1065.jpeg

I got the quarter panels done and started reassembly. I am not reconditioning as much as I had planned because I’m up against the clock (I need to get the garage presentable before we start showing the house). I like the stance with the 35” tires and no body lift. I got it running for the first time today and I was very happy until I noticed the massive puddle of transmission fluid under the fj40. It sprayed all over the back of the engine. The leak appears to have stopped after I turned the engine off. Now I need to research th400s and why this could have happened. I did disconnect and re-connect the linkage from the transmission. I wonder if I have too much pressure in the selector switch? Who knows. On the plus side, the transmission fluid looks to be in great condition.

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

Did you do anything with the transmission cooler lines when you were moving the body?

I did not touch the cooler tans cooler lines. I will need to install a new radiator (this one is about 3 inches too tall) but that project is on hold until I get it moved. I was reading last night that th400s that have been sitting can leak after starting up for the first time. I’m not sure I want to try it again though.

I finally got Humpty Dumpty back together enough to ship. The final product is not what I was hoping for and I wish I could have changed the radiator so I didn’t need the pool noodles. The current radiator is about 2” too tall. The transmission leak fixed itself. After doing a lot of research it sounds like the torque converter on a th400 can drain back into the pan while sitting for a while. Starting up with a very high level caused the ATF spray. After running, the TC refilled and the level came back down to normal. I’m still not happy with how she runs overall. Either a motor rebuild or swap will be in the cards the next time I start tearing her apart.

IMG_1089.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom