Cooling System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I've got a cooling system leak somewhere around the waterhouse/thermostat housing on my '76 2f - anyone know how to pinpoint the leak. I've already changed the hoses - but still have scale dripping down onto the water pump and across the block. It only seems to leak at high RPMs - can't get it to do it in the driveway. Any help?

Tucker

Tucker: I would first let a trusty repair shop have your cooling sys. pressure tested. This is a very cheap and easy way to pin point a leak. Most shops can do this for you in a short time. I would also check into replacing the water pump. It sounds like yours is starting to go bad. Often when WPs go bad they will begin to leak thru the weap hole on the side of the pump. (this may be your leak). Makes sense that it does it at higher engine temps. (hi-way speeds), as the waining pump is unable to keep up with the demand. With cooler temps nearing, I'd get it corrected ASAP.
I hope this helps. i just replaced my entire cooilng sys over the course of the summer on the FJ60, so I can feel your pain. GOOD LUCK :cheers:

I'd also check and re-torque the thermostat housing bolts and double check any hose connections. Be careful not to crack the housing by over tightening.

It's got a new water pump so I don't think that's the problem - I think I'm going to have it pressure tested before I throw any more money at it.

Thanks for all the help - it doesn't get cold down here though, just hot...and hotter.

If there is water dripping onto the waterpump, then it should only be coming from the thermostat housing. Pull the whole unit off, clean it and replace with new gaskets. Very easy & quick job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom