coolant leak during freezing temp cold start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i saw all the 80 series posts on this, but none for the 100.

i recently drove my texas truck to the mountains and left it in a driveway for a few days in the 20 degree weather (with mild snowfall). when it was time to leave, i started it up and started to scrape off the ice on my windshield when i noticed some coolant dripping from the belly pan. I opened the hood and saw a sizeable puddle of coolant at the top of the radiator on the right side, under the upper radiator hose. I hoping that's the only place that leaked, but i saw coolant along the entire bottom of the radiator so i cant be sure (of course, the coolant at the bottom could easily have been from that puddle at the top).

I kept an eye on my scan gauge the entire way back and the temp stayed at 185 degrees for pretty much the entirety of the trip, only ever reaching a max of 190. my question is, do i need a new radiator or is this just part of the fun of having a koyorad in freezing weather?

Myself and @JunkCrzr89 had similar issues with our radiators last season.

In both our cases I believe it was the age of the radiator meant that it could not seal too well in the low temps, but once everything warmed up all the issues went away. I we ahead and put a new OEM unit in mine since I do a lot of cold weather activities.

Myself and @JunkCrzr89 had similar issues with our radiators last season.

In both our cases I believe it was the age of the radiator meant that it could not seal too well in the low temps, but once everything warmed up all the issues went away. I we ahead and put a new OEM unit in mine since I do a lot of cold weather activities.
wait a second... are you me?

the similarities are eerie! the crazy part is my radiator is only 1 year old. it sounds like you didn't have any issues from the time it leaked until you replaced with OEM? i wonder if i should risk it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom