Coolant leak…how concerning does this look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This seems like something to see if you can bring back to the shop that did the work.

Frankly, if they used an off brand gasket that is leaking this early, I would be suspect of the other components that they used for the full timing belt service. I know in regards to being more maintenance oriented I do fall in the "oem is better most times", but I'm not in that campexclusively. This is one of those areas where I'd buy an AISIN timing belt kit for the technician to have on hand while doing this in the event they find cheap parts were used originally. They can put them in on their way working back out with minimal extra time and you'll trust what you have in there. You're paying the labor, the parts on this job as you've noted are the cheap bit. If they find you've got the right parts in there, as long as they haven't opened the new timing belt kit you can return it and just pay the restock fee if charged.

I have done timing belts with AISIN assemblies and Koyo bearings that were at 120-180k and they were still going (bearings were a bit scratchy and the pumps were weeping a little). Alternatively, I just helped a neighbor who had a cheap timing belt kit installed by a shade tree mechanic. At 30k the tensioner failed and she skipped two teeth. We replaced with AISIN and Koyo and all is well.

I've never had a water pump gasket leak if I cleaned and prepped the surface, used the ASIN kit's provided gasket, and torqued it to spec. So again, I'd be suspicious of the rest of that kit. The AISIN products are solid.

I've never had a water pump gasket leak if I cleaned and prepped the surface, used the ASIN kit's provided gasket, and torqued it to spec. So again, I'd be suspicious of the rest of that kit. The AISIN products are solid.
x2

Typical a new water pump gasket will not leak. Not much way they can, if water pump butted up to and bolt in. Although I do see Aisin t-belt kits, where gasket damage and or water pump damaged in shipping. If used will leak for sure. For this reason I buy 2 kits at a time.

But I've yet to see picture here, showing point of leak!

Last edited:
Appreciate this feedback. Unfortunately I bought the truck from a dealer in FL who had the TB/WP done at one of his mechanics shops. I’ve inquired about the issue with him and he’s going to see what he can do with the mechanic. Being so far away best bet I get reimbursed for my expense.

When changing the gasket out, will look for other parts that may be suspect.

No picture yet as I’m not doing the work. Not enough time or skill for me :)

Typical a new water pump gasket will not leak. Not much way they can, if water pump butted up to and bolt in. Although I do see Aisin t-belt kits, where gasket damage and or water pump damaged in shipping. If used will leak for sure. For this reason I buy 2 kits at a time.

But I've yet to see picture here, showing point of leak!
You've been a great help in the past and was hoping to get some guidance/advice from you regarding a new leak I have in my 06' lx470. I have replaced tstat, radiator hoses and radiator has been replaced in the near past. The timing belt and water pump was done at lexus a ways back as well. Suffice to say this is a new leak-I've had the truck about 18 months. I think it is the front water bypass and have included some pictures. Is there a gasket/fpig needed just below where the main build up is-I am guessing this is the culprit. There is evidence of coolant just below the air intake as well.

20220307_152159.jpg

20220307_152804.jpg

20220307_152223.jpg

You've been a great help in the past and was hoping to get some guidance/advice from you regarding a new leak I have in my 06' lx470. I have replaced tstat, radiator hoses and radiator has been replaced in the near past. The timing belt and water pump was done at lexus a ways back as well. Suffice to say this is a new leak-I've had the truck about 18 months. I think it is the front water bypass and have included some pictures. Is there a gasket/fpig needed just below where the main build up is-I am guessing this is the culprit. There is evidence of coolant just below the air intake as well.

View attachment 2945964

View attachment 2945965

View attachment 2945966
Upon further review it looks like the leak is coming from up high. I can't see a leak at the hose, but it looks like where the hose inserts into the water bypass(the metal part) right behind the electrical clip is the possible culprit. I am not sure otherwise how the coolant would get up so high.

Difficult call, as I can't see end of hose. But looks like the water sensor leaking. Which is threaded into water bypass joint. Wouldn't hurt to replace. But you may be able to remove, clean and seal threads with a little Toyota 1282B FIPG (or any good coolant rated FIPG).

Best would be to clean area spotless, with high pressure water. Best if front of vehicle higher than rear. Start with cold engine, start engine and let idle as you wash. Once clean and dry watch very close as it idles for leak. It may be to slow to see while idling. So look after each drive or long drives stop and look. Yhe idea is to see first appearance to pinpoint.

8942233030.jpg

Difficult call, as I can't see end of hose. But looks like the water sensor leaking. Which is threaded into water bypass joint. Wouldn't hurt to replace. But you may be able to remove, clean and seal threads with a little Toyota 1282B FIPG (or any good coolant rated FIPG).

Best would be to clean area spotless, with high pressure water. Best if front of vehicle higher than rear. Start with cold engine, start engine and let idle as you wash. Once clean and dry watch very close as it idles for leak. It may be to slow to see while idling. So look after each drive or long drives stop and look. Yhe idea is to see first appearance to pinpoint.

View attachment 2946123
Great advice and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I cleaned it up a bit and ran the truck tonight - I'll see if I notice any fluid. That part leaking would make sense to me - the leak came out of the blue - I hadn't been running the truck as frequently as before. I am going to replace that & report back.

Woke-up with some concern, with my recommendation "But you may be able to remove, clean and seal threads with a little Toyota 1282B FIPG (or any good coolant rated FIPG)." Some concern with FIPG inhibiting ground or heat transfer. Although sensor has ground wire, so may not be a concern. Heat transfer may not either. Airframe mechanic once told me, silicone will squeeze out and not interfere.

Best would be best to use new ECT gasket with old or new ECT sensor.

If replacing ECT Sensor replace gasket.
9043012005.jpg

Last edited:
Woke-up with some concern, with my recommendation "But you may be able to remove, clean and seal threads with a little Toyota 1282B FIPG (or any good coolant rated FIPG)." Some concern with FIPG inhibiting ground or heat transfer. Although sensor has ground wire, so may not be a concern. Heat transfer may not either. Airframe mechanic once told me, silicone will squeeze out and not interfere.

Best would be best to use new ECT gasket with old or new ECT sensor.

If replacing ECT Sensor replace gasket.
View attachment 2946319
I haven't replaced this seal yet but I don't think it's leaking from there. I ran the engine from cold to see if I could spot the leak. It doesn't seem to leak when warm. I went out to the truck today after it's been sitting for a few days and there is a little puddle of coolant. It looks like maybe the seal is failing at the water bypass? There seems to be a piece of the seal visible as well.

20220315_090618.jpg

20220315_090342.jpg

20220315_090501.jpg

The water by-pass joint seals (one each side, front and rear joints we've total of 4), is very common leak. It puddles just like in your picture. Mostly leaks when engine/coolant cool. Perhaps your earlier pictures with coolant around ECT sensor. Was just some coolant the air/fan blew up on it. Which is why, cleaning and watching is always best, to pinpoint! Good job!

In the non VVT 98-05 4.7L we can replace those gaskets. By just removing throttle body and pulling the W/BP joint front.

With the VVT 06-07 4.7L, we need to remove intake manifold. So good time to mod the S.A.I filter and R&R starter while in there!

Coolant water by-pass possible leak.JPG
IMG_0464.JPEG

IMG_0476.JPEG

IMG_0469.JPEG

The water by-pass joint seals (one each side, front and rear joints we've total of 4), is very common leak. It puddles just like in your picture. Mostly leaks when engine/coolant cool. Perhaps your earlier pictures with coolant around ECT sensor. Was just some coolant the air/fan blew up on it. Which is why, cleaning and watching is always best, to pinpoint! Good job!

In the non VVT 98-05 4.7L we can replace those gaskets. By just removing throttle body and pulling the W/BP joint front.

With the VVT 06-07 4.7L, we need to remove intake manifold. So good time to mod the S.A.I filter and R&R starter while in there!

View attachment 2953038View attachment 2953040

View attachment 2953048
View attachment 2953044
That was my next question - what else to handle when it's open-thank you. Starter is original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom