Cooking Tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try oven baking next time yr cooking ribs. Place smells great all afternoon, ribs are moist, and you only hafta touch them 3 times. Consider using a different flavor for each rack of ribs, and cut/tray accordingly: gives more flavor choices for basically same amount of work.

Bang the pans around a lot when prepping sides: let sides heat/ melt/ mix/do their thing while yr cutting ribs. Ribs back in oven to retain heat while you finish sides, and folks will think you were slaving hard over the stove for hours. :grinpimp:

I'll beg to differ. Get a good kimodo style bbq (green egg, steel keg bbq), real wood charcoal at 230-250f, leave them alone for 3-4 hours depending on the thickness and you will end up with incredible ribs with a nice smoke ring. I use Big Ron's a bit of houston rub and brown mustard, put them on and leave them. Among the best ribs and the insulated BBQ keeps them moist because you don't use much charcoal.

When you're frying up your quesadillas, mix a little hot sauce and garlic salt into the oil before it gets hot. mmmmm

Heresy, no such thing. Not strong enuf to eat the food, perhaps.

Hatch Chile fest is coming folks, getcher taste buds prepd!! It's green chile season soon. :clap:
fair enough, bring the heat

Thorough attention to detail; will you teach us about ramen next please? Don't forget the 'add a protein' versions. :p
:hmm: Add a cracked egg, peas, and habenero (I olny eat it when I'm sick as soup). If you add a touch of vinegar the egg will hold together better and give you a hot and sour/egg drop soup. Bomber.
However, if you boil the noodles in less that a cup of water, with a little soy, and then you flash fry them in a pan with some sweet and sour sauce spiked with sambal oelek; instant winner. They come out like mongolian grill. I like to add cashews and frozen california veggie mix (broc, carrot, cauli). Pork is a given in my world, but not essential.

X a million. If you're baking in the oven, it should either be a cassarole at proper temps, have a cooking grease (ie: Pam) down, or be on foil. dont care to remember how many trashed pans have had to soak for hours when it's my turn 4 dishes.
:doh:

Last edited:
I'll tell you a little hint I heard from John Galt/Legion:

Don't add salt to food, either during cooking or before eating. Salt doesn't accentuate food's flavor, it just makes it taste saltier.

Centuries of culinary traditions be damned, there's no reason to salt anything, at any time, for any reason.

I don't add salt. It's not an ingredient I like to use (as it's in eveything).
But I disgree with this statement. It does serve a purpose, at least in baking. I mean chemically, not just taste.

Although I do like what salt does for any recipe.

I love msg too though so, take that with a grain of.........:D

I don't preheat the oven for party pizzas. You can get a crisper bottom and perfect cook time if you throw them in before it's hot.

Double the time and microwave at 50% power.

It makes the kittens extra tender

I'll beg to differ. Get a good kimodo style bbq (green egg, steel keg bbq), real wood charcoal at 230-250f, leave them alone for 3-4 hours depending on the thickness and you will end up with incredible ribs with a nice smoke ring. I use Big Ron's a bit of houston rub and brown mustard, put them on and leave them. Among the best ribs and the insulated BBQ keeps them moist because you don't use much charcoal.

differ away: the FD don't supply Green Eggs or Steel Keg BBQ, stove works just fine for me in my environment.

Happy to play the cook-off game next time you're coming through Abq.

don't make coffee w/tap water from a well...

How the water is delivered to your tap really makes no difference. It's the chemistry of the dissolved solids in the water, not the well it comes out of.

differ away: the FD don't supply Green Eggs or Steel Keg BBQ, stove works just fine for me in my environment.

Happy to play the cook-off game next time you're coming through Abq.

Baked/boiled/broiled ribs are gross. Braised beef short ribs? Okay.

Women don't understand how to cook red meat by and large. They just don't get it like men do.

Baked/boiled/broiled ribs are gross. Braised beef short ribs? Okay.

Women don't understand how to cook red meat by and large. They just don't get it like men do.

Also reported. Not taking your **** any longer.

I've known a lot of women, and not one of them can make any sort of roast or grilled or braised red meat item than the men I know. I don't think that women and men see red meat the same way, or that women really get red meat the way that men do.

WTF happened?
Seriously, I first read this thread two days ago, and come back to see what's new and there's some kind of shouting match brewing. What happened?

Back on topic:

Open up ears of corn to remove the tassles, while leaving the husks intact, soak said corn in affordable beer you don't mind parting with for about an hour, the rewrap the corn, and grill over the fire. Beer corn!

If roasting a chicken in a DO, and fresh bay leaves are to be found in camp, lay them over the chicken's breast to trap moisture and add some flavor.

empty beer bottles make a great ad-hoc potato masher.

When cooking outdoors, Moose Drool makes everything even better... That's all I can think of right now...

Allways have the water boiling before makeing hard boiled eggs, cook for 11 minutes.

How the water is delivered to your tap really makes no difference. It's the chemistry of the dissolved solids in the water, not the well it comes out of.

yeah, I have lived on a well for years and cooked everything with the water from it, including my morning tea :meh:

Great thread! Time for a resurrection?

Maybe everybody knows this but here’s our new-to-us hack for eggs, enabled by our Dometic fridge/freezer:

We like eggs, sausage and bacon for breakfast. Note we’ve tried egg-beaters and don’t care for the taste as much. Problem is, transporting eggs is a problem. We found they break even if you have a hard egg case. Plus, you have egg shells to deal with at the campsite when you’re done cooking. Bears and other critters like egg shells, in case you didn’t know, so you have to stow them carefully. So, what we do now is days ahead of our trip we break 3 ex-large or 4 large eggs and carefully place them into a quart Ziploc freezer bag, remove air, lay flat and freeze. Do your best to keep the Ziploc strip clear throughout filling and flattening.

The bags are thin and thaw in 30 minutes. Thaw them even faster by placing into some warm water. Once thawed just open and pour into your skillet. If you’re careful you can even keep the yolks from breaking and do eggs over easy. We’ve taken a ½ dozen Ziploc egg bags on trips as they take up surprisingly little room. And they don’t break!

If you want an omelet dice your onions, mushrooms, <whatever> etc…and add your favorite shredded cheese to the Ziploc and then add the 3 or 4 eggs.

Thanks, that's a great tip. We do canoe camping, and each person chooses a meal to cook for everyone else. I always do breakfast because I'm up with the sun. I don't have problems with eggs breaking in the hard case, but it's annoying having those cases in the way the rest of the trip. Plus anything I can freeze in advance helps the cooler ice last longer. Breakfast is usually sandwiches with bacon (cooked in advance in an oven), fried eggs, cheddar cheese, on a toasted bagel with butter, or sometimes sriracha honey. And a bunch of coffee made in a drip-o-lator.

The one time I volunteered for dinner, we made chili in advance and froze it into quart ziplock bags. Made it real easy to portion out, quick to cook up, and helped out the ice.

The one time I volunteered for dinner, we made chili in advance and froze it into quart ziplock bags. Made it real easy to portion out, quick to cook up, and helped out the ice.

A vacuum sealer is a great way to prep meals way in advance.
Soups, chilli etc will last 12 months plus in a freezer once vacuum sealed.
No worries about leaking in a cooler either.
I like to pack meals I can heat in a single pot for days you're road tripping and arrive late to a campsite and don't want to have to cook.

Fresh meat can be portioned out, and vacuum sealed too. It will stay fresh for days even if ice in your cooler is gone.
No worries about meat getting soggy and cross contaminating everything in the cooler because a zip lock leaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom