Convince me to buy an 80 in 2023 for my family of 7. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's not how modern safety engineering works, like not at all. Everything is a tin can compared to cars from the 50s-60s and those were some of the most dangerous death traps every made. Just because you added thousands of pounds of steel doesn't make it 'safer'. The weight of these trucks is actually a downside when it comes to rollovers. You can find countless examples of A pillars completely collapsing during a rollover. The sheer size of these trucks is really the only thing helps IMO. But if you did an apples to apples comparison with an equal sized modern SUV, do you honestly believe the 30yr old truck would do better?

imag0078-jpg.435520

imag0084-jpg.435523

image-jpg.1076282

image-jpg.1076281

img_6990-jpg.2840524

img_6986-jpg.2840523

small-flip-1-jpg.85704

flip-small-2-jpg.85705

I remember 14 or 15 years ago, one of the members here drove headfirst into some sort of concrete barrier or something at like 50-70MPH. I forget the exact details. But his truck was absolutely mangled, it's a miracle he even survived.

I also was going to point out the toothpick-like A-pillars on these trucks. Solid reason for a roll cage, IMO, but a roll cage doesn't replace crumple zones or anything like that.

That's not how modern safety engineering works, like not at all. Everything is a tin can compared to cars from the 50s-60s and those were some of the most dangerous death traps every made. Just because you added thousands of pounds of steel doesn't make it 'safer'. The weight of these trucks is actually a downside when it comes to rollovers. You can find countless examples of A pillars completely collapsing during a rollover. The sheer size of these trucks is really the only thing helps IMO. But if you did an apples to apples comparison with an equal sized modern SUV, do you honestly believe the 30yr old truck would do better?

imag0078-jpg.435520

imag0084-jpg.435523

image-jpg.1076282

image-jpg.1076281

img_6990-jpg.2840524

img_6986-jpg.2840523

small-flip-1-jpg.85704

flip-small-2-jpg.85705
Yeesh that's ugly.
So you're saying lean back in a roll over?
Copy that. 👍

imag0078-jpg.435520

imag0084-jpg.435523

image-jpg.1076282

image-jpg.1076281

img_6990-jpg.2840524

img_6986-jpg.2840523

small-flip-1-jpg.85704

flip-small-2-jpg.85705
Ok this convinced me to cage my 80. Serious.

No can. I stow all the sharp, pointy objects behind my head. Keeps the stakes high. :D
No, no. You're supposed to store the pointy objects on the dashboard, right above the airbag where they can be deflected.

So your daily family hauling is covered with the Sienna, and the commuter car is the Honda, then the 80 would be the third car that's not relied upon everyday?
It seems a lot of people didn't read the signature, is my above assessment correct?

If so, sell the Highlander, and get the 80, you already know several things:
1. It's better made than most other vehicles.
2. What's required to fix it.
3. The reality of how much space is available.
4. In a pinch it can hold the family if the Sienna is down for repairs, but this is not the 80's primary duty.
5. It's a simple vehicle.

The 80 seems like it's purpose would be for wheeling, fun ice cream trips (as mentioned earlier to promote positive memories around it), and for teaching the kids how to wrench on vehicles.

The 80 is a great project vehicle. With the other bases covered, I don't see a downside, other than kids can be expensive and so can 80s.

We use ours as a third vehicle when possible, but I daily my 80 when needed and miss it when I use the other car since it gets better fuel economy. Hopefully when I get the diesel in, then I can daily it for about the same fuel cost as the other car.

I'm not sure how much you could get for the Highlander, but you might try for a diesel 80.

So your daily family hauling is covered with the Sienna, and the commuter car is the Honda, then the 80 would be the third car that's not relied upon everyday?
It seems a lot of people didn't read the signature, is my above assessment correct?
Dingdingding! Except the Honda is a 49cc scooter. But otherwise yes.

If so, sell the Highlander, and get the 80, you already know several things:
1. It's better made than most other vehicles.
2. What's required to fix it.
3. The reality of how much space is available.
4. In a pinch it can hold the family if the Sienna is down for repairs, but this is not the 80's primary duty.
5. It's a simple vehicle.

The 80 seems like it's purpose would be for wheeling, fun ice cream trips (as mentioned earlier to promote positive memories around it), and for teaching the kids how to wrench on vehicles.

The 80 is a great project vehicle. With the other bases covered, I don't see a downside, other than kids can be expensive and so can 80s.

We use ours as a third vehicle when possible, but I daily my 80 when needed and miss it when I use the other car since it gets better fuel economy. Hopefully when I get the diesel in, then I can daily it for about the same fuel cost as the other car.

I'm not sure how much you could get for the Highlander, but you might try for a diesel 80.
I can realistically get $19-20k on trade-in for the Highlander. I don't know what a diesel JDM 80 is going for these days, but I wouldn't turn my nose up if the opportunity arose...

I don't believe I've seen an HDJ80/81 with 3rd row seats... I could definitely be wrong though. Was that a US option only?

I have seen Middle East 80s with troopy style side-facing bench seats in the back though.

My vote for what you're going for would be a 100 or 200. Not sure what your budget is? Seems like 100 prices are going up and 200 prices are coming down. Not much of course, but it's about $15-20K for a solid 100 these days and $25-40K for a decent 200.

I would get a 100, baseline it, throw some 33s on and a small lift and don't mess it up with too many mods. Roof rack maybe for extra cargo space.

Life's too short to drive a boring vehicle. Get the 80, take some road trips with the crew and if it doesn't work out you'll be able to get your money out of it. Hurry up, you're wasting time!!

For small consideration in American dollars (unmarked bills) I am supplying with fine sturdy Russian armored vehicle! Not to be damaged by collision with anything and being able to transport 14 fullsize soldiers or 21 childlike adults!
For further informing please to be calling my office directionally at 1-800-KREMLIN!!

Boris Badenov

I don't believe I've seen an HDJ80/81 with 3rd row seats... I could definitely be wrong though. Was that a US option only?

I have seen Middle East 80s with troopy style side-facing bench seats in the back though.

My vote for what you're going for would be a 100 or 200. Not sure what your budget is? Seems like 100 prices are going up and 200 prices are coming down. Not much of course, but it's about $15-20K for a solid 100 these days and $25-40K for a decent 200.

I would get a 100, baseline it, throw some 33s on and a small lift and don't mess it up with too many mods. Roof rack maybe for extra cargo space.
100 seems to be the direction I'm going. I've found a few around for ~$11-19k. We can realistically get $19-20k out of the Highlander.

2005-2007 sequoia 4x4
Squarebody suburban 3/4 ton 4x4

80’s or even 100’s are cool, but with 7 of you in there how far of a trip are you really going to take?

With my two girls we can’t go down the block without bringing 5 metric tons of kit along with us…

I owned a ‘75 Suburban and albeit 2wd it was an absolute blast to drive with the family. Towed our trailer to campsites, cruised town, trips to the beach… etc. cheap and easy to work on, loads of them out there (made from 1973-1991) and fairly capable if properly equipped…

The later 1st Gen Sequoias are the best of that model in my opinion. Better trans, all the airbags, Toyota v8 reliability and power… plus actual space for you and your herd.

Afternoon guys....it's been a while.

My fiancée and I are seriously contemplating trading her paid-off 2015 Highlander for something a bit more capable... Like a Land Cruiser. However, since I sold my 80 in 2012, I'm well aware of how prices on these got stupid, especially during covid. We have a 2008 Sienna that handles family hauling duties, so we aren't losing any capacity by trading the Highlander.

Obviously I'd love to own another 80, but my fiancée and I have 5 kids together (two in carseats and one in a booster) and as such, passenger safety plays a much bigger part in my vehicle choice than whether it has a solid front axle or not.

Sooo....

I'm torn between having my dream truck (which my fiancée fully supports), vs going for a 100 series (despite being arguably safer and more powerful, with more interior room).

Halp

1st Gen 4WD Sequoia (2005-2007) with a lift and bumpers.

If I was hauling 5 kids I'd be all over a 7.3 Ford Excursion. Plus if you need to tow a camper large enough for everyone it would do the job.

Tons of opinions on here. Problem is, they aren't yours and they may not make you happy. I'm going to offer a few other viewpoints.

Rollover safety: Anything pre 2002- 2004 is going to have smaller A-Pillars. They also allow you to see the trail a lot better. A lot of people roll 80 series trucks because they build tall, throw a lot of rubber on there, put in soft flexy springs and drive too fast. Perfect recipe for bad things to happen. A rollcage can fix these things, but not everyone wants one. How you use it, build it and drive it will need to be considered. Armored up, a stock height 80 can tackle a lot of trails. They also don't fall over as easily.

Reliability: The 80 vs 100 debate is old. I have friends who have 100 series trucks. They are good, for what they are. It takes a metric ton of work and money to get a hundy to wheel as good as an 80 and they are a fat pig if you wheel in the trees and you will always have the front diff weakness to contend with. You also have the semi-float rear axle issue where the bearing design isn't as good as it could be and you have to deal with the weird 5 lug bolt pattern. The worst part is the years where the Nav system runs everything. Expensive to fix. Don't get me wrong, a hundy is a good rig and light years ahead of an early 80 but it's like comparing a 4runner to a JK. They both have their issues, which ones are you willing to deal with on a daily basis?

Fuel Efficiency: None of them are going to be great. They are heavy pigs with Toyota tuning to keep the motors alive with crap gas and overloaded to the hilt. An 80 with a bus trans is going to be worse, but at least you won't be breaking it very easy.

Suspension: Hands down, the 80 is all over a Hundy. Takes a ton of custom stuff to get a hundy in the ballpark of a decent low-end 80 suspension.

Seating: Yes, the hundy has the better setup but you give some to get some. If this is a wheeling rig, where do you wheel? Do you need a narrow rig to get between obstacles, or can you get a squarebody suburban through the trail? Center passenger shoulder belt isn't as critical when you have car seats. As long as you get the car seat strapped in, you can add an anchor for the rear strap and the seats internal belts do the rest. You have to choose and let the kids tell you what they think as well. You won't often be dragging them all to the same places at the same time. There will be times when 1/2 of them have sports, school activities, play dates, birthday parties etc.

Things kids like: Kids like cool cars. Kids like cars they don't get yelled at for spilling things inside. They also like cars that can be used as a jungle-gym to get in and out of certain seats. Kids REALLY like sliding side windows in the back so they can have air and stick their hands out into the breeze. Kids also like rear-air and heat and 12 volt plugs for devices... Which one fits the bill for your family?

Airbags: Kids and airbags have almost no place together unless it comes to side-impact situations. Lots of bad things come with airbags and only a few good ones. Do the research and choose for yourself. None of my wheeling rigs have airbags and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. Others will have differing opinions. That's cool. Do what you think is best.

DIY Compatibility: Hands down, an 80 series. Once they moved into the 100 and 200 series, you have a lot more electronics and special procedures for all manner of things. An 80 can still be repaired at home. You can do almost every single piece of maintenance, outside of machine work, and transmission rebuilding at home with minimal special tools.

Resale Value: I see 100's and 200's getting cheaper as they advance in age and mileage, 80's are losing some, but a pristine one is still sought after. Your call.

Parking: If you are in a place with minimal parking, an 80 is smaller than a 100.

I vote that you get an 80. It'll be a toy, and memory-making machine, for everyone. And it'll be therapy for you. With 5 kids, sometimes you just need to get away with a wrench in one hand and a tube of moly in another...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom