Convince me to buy an 80 in 2023 for my family of 7. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's my big concern with the Sequoia. Having already owned an 80 in the past, it's honestly a really high bar for any other vehicle to meet. Not even the Highlander has the same build quality as my old 80, and it's 24 years newer.

This was the biggest thing for me when we got our Sequoia. It definitely is NOT a Land Cruiser. It is a beast of a vehicle for not being a Land Cruiser however after some modifications, and is actually fun to take off road. Added a rear locker, OME lift, bumpers, tires and redid all the front end bushings and arms.
If the 100 series would have worked size wise, I would have just got another 80, and still keep my eyes open for a clean one at the right price. If you can make that third row and cargo area behind it and a decent roof rack work, I would do it

My fiancée and I are seriously contemplating trading her paid-off 2015 Highlander for something a bit more capable.

Don't do it......

If anything buy an 80 series and keep the highlander

Don't do it. this is a labor of love. If you are not mechanically inclined, and know what to look out for, this can become your money sand trap real fast.
This won't be my first round of Land Cruiser ownership. I used to own a 1991 80. I rebuilt it's front axle myself with chromoly birfs and inners, and a sort-of part-time conversion (never got around to the transfer case). Among other things. I've been on this board since 2006 😂

Don't do it......

If anything buy an 80 series and keep the highlander
I mean, we already have a Sienna for family hauling duty. I don't know how many times I've stated that already, and it's in my sig. I'm the only one who likes the Highlander, and the only reason she likes it is because the AC works faster.

Get an 80. Guaranteed you’ll have to wrench, just make sure those tikes are close to hand you the tools. Let them help! Stuff them in the car, adjust your (captain and co-) seat and go adventure.

5 kids get a sequoia or the newest cruiser you can.

I have 2 80s and 2 200s. Only had 2 kids and have had 4Runners sequoias and cruisers.

For 5 kids no cruiser works. If you have to have a cruiser buy a 200. Better seats better access, smoother ride, better mileage.

I love my 80s and would buy another in a heartbeat. But for 5 kids not happening. I am moving back to 80s more so now that my kids are graduating and out of the house.

If I had 5 youngsters I would buy a sequoia or another all wheel drive sienna and buy a beater 80.

Trust me the kid time goes way to fast and you will be free to buy whatever you want much sooner than you realize. You also want to spend the time with them and not wrenching on an 80. As I have been there and done that.

John

Trust me the kid time goes way to fast and you will be free to buy whatever you want much sooner than you realize. You also want to spend the time with them and not wrenching on an 80. As I have been there and done that.

John
This. If you even have time.

Also, you’ll blink and those three still in car seats will be decent size and anything more than short trips will suck.

Also, 2 car seats and a booster means the older two will be in the 3rd row. Unless you really want to hate life and have car seats in the way back. Ingress/egress from the third row with the middle row filled with car seats will suck too.

Terrible idea.

Final answer.

😂😂🤙🤙
Ayyyyyyyyy long time no see!

Yeah if I end up getting a cruiser, it'll probably be a 100 or something. Mostly because of the 60/40 middle row.

Also, 2 car seats and a booster means the older two will be in the 3rd row. Unless you really want to hate life and have car seats in the way back. Ingress/egress from the third row with the middle row filled with car seats will suck too.
That's how it is in our Sienna right now, three oldest are in the back (one with booster) and the two big carseats are in the middle row, with one seat removed to make third row access easier.

I'm curious how your kids will feel being packed like sardines after a 100 miles of driving? On the flip side, when I was a kid, our family of 4 went on long trips in a 1981 Starlet 2 door hatch and we didn't die.

Some of you guys must have really wide standards for individual space or really large children! We've had 7 in our 80 series for very long trips and everyone was comfortable and happy. The big kids step right over the back of the middle seat to get in and out.

I'm curious how your kids will feel being packed like sardines after a 100 miles of driving?
They're packed even tighter in the Highlander vs an 80. But we already have a Sienna for family hauling and roadtrips, so we're not really losing any capacity by trading the Highlander.

On the flip side, when I was a kid, our family of 4 went on long trips in a 1981 Starlet 2 door hatch and we didn't die.
I grew up in an 80 with three other siblings, it wasn't terrible.

Last edited:
just get a Ujoint Offroad E350

or a 4wd sprinter
Nah. Toyota or die. I'm never owning American ever again, and I won't even consider German (unless it's a 40 year old 240D).

Some of you guys must have really wide standards for individual space or really large children! We've had 7 in our 80 series for very long trips and everyone was comfortable and happy. The big kids step right over the back of the middle seat to get in and out.
I have no problem squeezing my whole family in the Highlander. It's just really inconvenient and there's practically zero cargo space if we decided to roadtrip in that vs our Sienna. We only really use the Highlander for commuting (me), and occasional trips up the local canyon and its trail system. But the Highlander can only handle so much offroad, and there are some trails I can't go on without a winch or serious body damage. Trails that my old 80 tackled with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom