Converting to MPH from KPH speedo face (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at Lockwood for a faceplate conversion for my 1995 HZJ75 with a basic cluster. This is what I have and following is what i think I need.... anyone have experience with this specific cluster conversion?

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 2.51.07 PM.png

c836_toyota_landcruiser.jpeg

Talk to @FJ73Texas on this....
I did already about this, he doesn't have anything for 180kph speedos.

Lockwood would more than likely be your best bet, that is where FJ73 told me to reach out to.

I did already about this, he doesn't have anything for 180kph speedos.

Lockwood would more than likely be your best bet, that is where FJ73 told me to reach out to.

Sorry I must have not had anything at the time we spoke about this but I had the 180 made up for @Honger Perhaps he can report how they work out for him.

Looking at Lockwood for a faceplate conversion for my 1995 HZJ75 with a basic cluster. This is what I have and following is what i think I need.... anyone have experience with this specific cluster conversion?

View attachment 3223007

View attachment 3223008
Yours is a 180kph gauge… and the Lockwood one is for the 160kph gauge.

Sorry I must have not had anything at the time we spoke about this but I had the 180 made up for @Honger Perhaps he can report how they work out for him.

I’m thrilled with how it came out! I watch the MPH pretty faithfully now. The yellow works great.

See below…
One concern that @FJ73Texas raised was whether or not I had a metal speedo backing for the overlay to apply to. As it turns out, it is metal.
703metalface.jpg

Since my cluster has a hood that covers the center of the speedo I didn't need to pull the needle, I just cut a slot so it could slide in behind the needle.
704overlay.jpg

While into all of this I decided to repaint the gauge needles. It was either fluorescent red or orange... (as a side note, I highly recommend Tamiya paints for work like this. They are high quality enamel paints that go on very well if done in multiple, light coats).
705fuelneedle.jpg

706speedoneedle.jpg

So I went with the red. It seemed the better fit.
707reassembled.jpg

Ah.... so one could actually just leave the KPH alone and add only the yellow MPH part. It isn't illuminated but....

I am happy to send you the file for both versions. One is where the MPH is the main dial and KPH is the secondary dial (you can remove the KPH dial if you wanted to if you use adobe illustrator). Below is where when the MPH is the main dial. Problem is your odometer is still accumulating in KPH, that is all. These files are 1:1 scale to the face in your cluster. Access to a high quality printer will get you a very nice overlay.

speedometer2.JPG

Ah.... so one could actually just leave the KPH alone and add only the yellow MPH part. It isn't illuminated but....
There’s no illumination through the gage on these… it’s from within the housing. My gauge is very easy to ready at night with the cluster lit up. That post from my thread has some pics of it illuminated after I did an LED swap.

I heard back from Lockwood. They are willing to make me the gauge face that I want at a considerably higher cost than the ones that they stock. That leads me to wonder if there are a handful of other people with the same speedometer gauge as I have that would be interested in a mile per hour conversion, a group buy so to speak.

Moving this to a different thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom