Converting a 2WD turbo trans to 4WD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
I'm thinking that rather than try to fix some of Patch's issues that it might be better to convert my turbo 2WD truck to 4WD. The only question mark is can the 2WD turbo trans be converted to accept a toyota transfer case?

I already own this truck and I rather like that trans' gearing match to the engine so I don't see any point in trying to find a 4WD version unless that is the only way to get the necessary parts to make this work.

I did post this Q on Marlin's forum thinking that maybe they had gone down this road before, but I'm getting no traction over there. Anyone have some insight or info?

yeah... you can... :confused: But that (economically) means you'd have to get the adapter and TC off another truck...

So why not just get a R150 out of a V6 4WD and bolt it in... They're the same tranny?

Let me state that better. A 2WD RTE 5 speed IS a R150. NOT an R151 the Turbo 4WD's came with...

5 speed manual.

I would expect the V6 trans ratios to be different than the 4cyl turbo's trans ratios? I thought that I'd seen a ratios listing somewhere, but I've yet to be able to find it. Found Marlin's list, but it doesn't list the 2WD turbo trans ratios.

I have a Marlin doubler nearly ready to go, another transfer case is not a problem. I just didn't know if it is as simple as a different output shaft and the adapter, or if there is more to it than that.

5 speed manual.

I would expect the V6 trans ratios to be different than the 4cyl turbo's trans ratios? I thought that I'd seen a ratios listing somewhere, but I've yet to be able to find it. Found Marlin's list, but it doesn't list the 2WD turbo trans ratios.

That would be a negative... The 2WD RTE's are the same gear ratio's as the V6 R150.

Look at the "Tm" code on the firewall of door jam...

I'll save you the time, it says "R150"

I may have a tail case off of a 4x4 R151F that I might sell. I think that should be all that you need?

He'll need the 23 spline output, and a 23 spline TC...

Then he'll have a R150f:D

Interesting link. So all R150's have the same gearing regardless of what they were bolted behind. Hum, methinks to go to one of my local JY's as I've gotten some good deals on 091 trans-axles there in the past. Maybe I can score on a V6 5 speed too.

Any idea why Marlin breaks them down by year range for core values?
Will the '95-'05 version still work with the geared t/c? Seems like if it is a iterational thing that the latest trans would be the one to get.

Curious, my RTE truck has those same door panels as in the linked truck. I've never liked them all that much, but then I've not liked the power windows either. Maybe I should put the doors on ebay when I'm all done.....

The R150F wont bolt up to a 23 spline 4 cyl t case though... it bolts up to a 23 spline chain driven case.....

And Im not sure that his R151F bellhousing will bolt up to an R150F.

I have the 23 spline output also and either way he's gonna need a transfer case.

He'll need the 23 spline output, and a 23 spline TC...

Then he'll have a R150f:D

Which brings me back to my original question. Can I, assuming that I could source the parts, simply install the 4WD output shaft and tail shaft housing to my 2WD trans?

It sounds like it would be easier to go get the V6 trans, but it also sounds like that will not have the correct tail shaft housing to bolt to Marlin Doubler sitting on my garage floor. I'm pretty sure that I've seen that Marlin offers the 23 spline input part. What I think that I need is the 4WD output shaft and the R151 tail shaft housing.

The tranny case is pretty much split in two. So you'll need the rear half of the tranny, an output shaft, and a correct TC.

I'm not sure if the iron adapter ring (that holds the tail shaft on) will work or not. But I don't see why... I can't imagine they made the 2WD tail and 4WD tail bolt patterns different...

tail housing to plate bolt pattern
tn_Apr22_0004.jpg

R151F guts with coupler
tn_Apr22_0005.jpg

tcase side of tail housing
tn_Apr22_0006.jpg

trans side of tail housing
tn_Apr22_0007.jpg

coupler removed
tn_Apr22_0008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back