Considering the Gazelle ground tent -opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering trying the Gazelle ground tent for its quick and easy set-up and tear down. This would be on trips with the better half along so space, height, and easy set-up are key. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the collapsed length dimension. At 67.5" long collapsed that's a lot of space to give up in a BJ74. Any similar options out there with more compact collapsed dimensions? TIA

Round 2 of the single malt Amazon night showed up. Was too dark to set it up outside so I did what any reasonable person would do, set it up in the bedroom. Gazelle T4 thanks to @Izzyandsue, Teton Cot, and pad. Got round 3 coming on Saturday
View attachment 1557778 View attachment 1557779 View attachment 1557780
That looks nice! Easy up, easy down. Perfect size.

I bought this axe Amazon product ASIN B004WJGXAQ, and like a proper geek took it to the axe class at the Expo. It was pretty cool, learned a lot about the differences and fabrication, and recommended sharpening method with a rasp. Joe Flowers was the bushcraft instructor, pretty cool guy from this area who spends most of his time in the Amazon (the one in Brazil, not the jeff Bezos one like I do)
They passed this around too, looks like a good buy. Amazon product ASIN 0911469168
The Husqvarna axe is made by Hultafors Burks, but costs a fraction of their branded axes. The finish is supposed to be rougher, other than that is the same Swedish steel. used it last weekend, I am impressed.

how have you 2 been enjoying your Gazelle Tents?

I am not, sold mine about a year ago. The floor on it, even using strong subfloors, would tear easily. The floor is "velcroed" in, so should be replaceable but there is no support from the company when I tried to buy a replacement. I could never get anyone from the company to return calls or emails so gave up and sold it a deep discount.

Fast up, but I could not recommend to anyone using it more than say 4 times a year.

Ive been absolutely thrilled with it, I don’t use it as much as Izzy probably did, but for my 10-15 nights a year camping it’s been great

I haven’t had any issues with the floor so I can’t speak to the customer service component.

I am not, sold mine about a year ago. The floor on it, even using strong subfloors, would tear easily. The floor is "velcroed" in, so should be replaceable but there is no support from the company when I tried to buy a replacement. I could never get anyone from the company to return calls or emails so gave up and sold it a deep discount.

Fast up, but I could not recommend to anyone using it more than say 4 times a year.

Thanks. Do you mind sharing what you replaced it with?

Ive been absolutely thrilled with it, I don’t use it as much as Izzy probably did, but for my 10-15 nights a year camping it’s been great

I haven’t had any issues with the floor so I can’t speak to the customer service component.

this would probably be closer to my use. I love that its quick and the T3 fits in my trunk easily.

Thanks. Do you mind sharing what you replaced it with?
Certainly! I am now sporting a Kodiak Spring Bow tent. So far so good and goes up almost as quick as a Gazelle (T4 is what I had). Two bags, one for canvas and one for pole, and the tent ALWAYS fits in the bag. All you do is nail down the 4 corners of the floor, then there is one main pole in the center and 2 legs that hold it up, bow tension.

I also had some delays in asking some questions to them before I bought the T3. Haven't used it yet, but I love the design. I just bought a new ground cover to go under it, a fine mesh of sorts, so hopefully that will be enough for the floor.

I had my old REI 4 person dome tent for 14 years and never got a single tear in it anywhere, but the windows on the fly fully deteriorated, rending the whole thing usless unfortunately. I still have the tarp I used for that REI tent, so I may use that as well.

Certainly! I am now sporting a Kodiak Spring Bow tent. So far so good and goes up almost as quick as a Gazelle (T4 is what I had). Two bags, one for canvas and one for pole, and the tent ALWAYS fits in the bag. All you do is nail down the 4 corners of the floor, then there is one main pole in the center and 2 legs that hold it up, bow tension.

Far out, that thing looks pretty damn sweet. Wish I'd had seen that before!!! I like the video, super clear to see all aspects of it, and heaps of room inside.

Far out, that thing looks pretty damn sweet. Wish I'd had seen that before!!! I like the video, super clear to see all aspects of it, and heaps of room inside.
Hey Mike! Long time no see, sorry I missed you at SEMA. That tent is pretty amazing, I have the 10x14 and can do jumping jacks inside, high ceiling, great ventilation, and insulation.

I have the Flex Bow too...the large one. Easy to setup and take down and no need for a rain fly. Best tent I've ever owned and I've had my share. WIll never need another family tent...

OI001194-01-01.jpeg
20191103_170427-01.jpeg

I like it so far! Its roomy inside! The doors are a little odd at first but its nice overall. Good quality feel to the mats and bag and it fits inside my 80 with the second row down. I have actually considered removing my RTT on my 80. But now you gotta carry the matress pad and the pillow and sleeping bad etc etc etc. Lots of nice camping tents out there too that only use a couple of poles and are relatively quick to setup. They stow a hell of alot smaller than this, but you still gotta carry the other stuff and since I got an exped mega mat and a fancy pants sleeping bag, they take up tons of room anyhow.

I might buy an oztent and try that out for a bit too. I really wanted one of those but couldnt get one shipped in time for Turf n Surf once I was sure I would make it.

Last edited:
Sleeping pad, sleeping bag and a pillow really do take up a lot of space.

I can see why a lot of people go with hammocks

We just had our T4 out for the first time last weekend. Huge upgrade from the backpacking tent we were using.

Set up fast, vertical walls are great for interior room (though maybe not so great for wind). Quality is better than average but it's definitely not a Springbar. It was hot (36-37c highs and only down to 20 at night) so all the windows were a plus though it was still pretty brutal.

IMG_5377[1].JPEG

We just had our T4 out for the first time last weekend. Huge upgrade from the backpacking tent we were using.

Set up fast, vertical walls are great for interior room (though maybe not so great for wind). Quality is better than average but it's definitely not a Springbar. It was hot (36-37c highs and only down to 20 at night) so all the windows were a plus though it was still pretty brutal.

View attachment 3065332
Last time I camped in mine in Colorado, there was another guy nearby with a Gazelle and he warned me to guy rope out the walls where they have the little pull tab thing (like half way up the wall). He learned from experience as the wind pushed it in once on him and started to collapse the tent!!

And wouldn't you know it, the next night there was a huge storm in the middle of the night, but I was all good.

Last time I camped in mine in Colorado, there was another guy nearby with a Gazelle and he warned me to guy rope out the walls where they have the little pull tab thing (like half way up the wall). He learned from experience as the wind pushed it in once on him and started to collapse the tent!!

And wouldn't you know it, the next night there was a huge storm in the middle of the night, but I was all good.
Yeah. We didn’t get any wind but I still guyed mine out for just that reason. This design is similar to the ice fishing tents used commonly here and they have the same issue.

Make sure to consider the stowed & bagged length and how/where you plan to place it in your rig.

I went with the t3 as 1) this is not my base camp unit, 2) it's a slight bit shorter in the bag...can be stowed cross wise in the wife's Subaru.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it😎

gazelle tents remind me of angry birds, or jeeps with the Mr. potato head angry eyes

1659725047514.jpeg

I have enjoyed my T4 here in SoCal so far. I have to admit I did not realize how big it would be in the bag! I'm still trying to find a better way to keep it in the rig.

E91F230E-159D-4B87-81D2-D0AE0FB9F896.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom