Camping Equipment for Our Trucks (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I thought biolite had a generator in there that could charge your phone from the heat energy of the fire?

My usual deposit...

enablement engaged.jpg

Gazelle Tents where at the expo, and lucky for me I was looking for a summer tent as my blue monster is due to retirement. This is the T4 Plus, which has the attached screen room up front. Fairly instant pup up, not hard to take down either. The front room can be enclosed with privacy panels, but not sealed like the back room. Large rain cover on it too, tons of windows created a nice breezy tent during the hot days. The floor is velcroed in to the walls, so could be removed (not sure why) if needed. The tent fitted perfectly on top of my Big Agnes 8 tarp, so close to 13x10.

22046083_10212876015913456_6964174388874035914_n.jpg
22141303_10212876015953457_9186669862362940953_n.jpg

Front zipped up, looking down the tent. The middle door zips close from top to bottom, great for sliding in the propane hose for Mr. Heater.
22089654_10212876015873455_5824249798724394640_n.jpg

Standing inside tent, looking at "bedroom" area.
22045644_10212876015833454_4875793056931581317_n.jpg

Looking from bedroom into screened room.
22089117_10212876016473470_3865997247271961624_n.jpg

So I got drinking whiskey the other night and ended up on Amazon. Got a camping trip in a couple of weeks with a childhood friend and the first round of orders showed up today. Helko Rheinland and Kershaw medical knife and some battery led lights for the new Gazelle T4 tent
930C186F-0743-4011-8904-DCCCF93BFDD8.jpeg
8E908EDC-68B3-4E09-B528-89C3EF8A85A1.jpeg
C2F97915-43A7-48A6-B193-505ADFE1D97D.jpeg
8E1F1EE7-DB61-4F10-9036-DAF0089068BF.jpeg
48271D2F-0A83-4012-A245-BB6829319867.jpeg

So I'm looking to install a small water tank where my spare tire should go maybe 10 gallons for field showers and stuff like that camping.

I want to put a valve so I can pressurize the tank with a hand or foot pump to give myself pressure for a hose to rinse off with.

What do you guys think?

Something like this

IMG_0999.jpg

So I'm looking to install a small water tank where my spare tire should go maybe 10 gallons for field showers and stuff like that camping.

I want to put a valve so I can pressurize the tank with a hand or foot pump to give myself pressure for a hose to rinse off with.

What do you guys think?

Something like this

View attachment 1557468

I looked into it under the truck and I couldn’t figure out an easy/clean way to be able to fill up and pressurize. I am currently working on a version of this that will sit low in the roof rack

solar shower

In my younger days I worked back stage security at the Philadelphia Folk Fest for a couple years. We heavy (truck) camped for 5 days. We built a full deck 8'high over my pick up with sleeping decks over the hood and over the bed.

We got a few 5 gal square plastic jugs with 1/4 turn valves and painted them black and sat them on the upper deck in the sun and we built a small shower stall. Used a garden water nozzle on the end of a small length of hose for a shower head. It worked great. You had to put the jug in the little red wagon and go to the tractor trailer water tanker in the middle of camp and fill up what you emptied. Was great when young ladies started coming around because they heard we had a shower :)

@pkniland I thought about going that route I like that I can use pressure or gravity but I want to put a rod holder and eventually a cheap home made awning on the side.

@NCFJ we did that when I was in the army or similar I did change it up alittle once and put my water can on top of my tracks engine and let it warm it up lol.
Fun in the field!

Round 2 of the single malt Amazon night showed up. Was too dark to set it up outside so I did what any reasonable person would do, set it up in the bedroom. Gazelle T4 thanks to @Izzyandsue, Teton Cot, and pad. Got round 3 coming on Saturday
F542A332-F641-48E0-8F5C-F1216E912788.jpeg
D8CD991C-2BFF-4359-B757-9ED521353454.jpeg
1F5AD3B2-508E-4DE8-A6D4-E1D8CBFEFC27.jpeg

That looks nice! Easy up, easy down. Perfect size.

I bought this axe https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WJGXAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and like a proper geek took it to the axe class at the Expo. It was pretty cool, learned a lot about the differences and fabrication, and recommended sharpening method with a rasp. Joe Flowers was the bushcraft instructor, pretty cool guy from this area who spends most of his time in the Amazon (the one in Brazil, not the jeff Bezos one like I do)
They passed this around too, looks like a good buy. https://smile.amazon.com/Ax-Book-Lo...=UTF8&qid=1508379062&sr=8-1&keywords=axe+book

The Husqvarna axe is made by Hultafors Burks, but costs a fraction of their branded axes. The finish is supposed to be rougher, other than that is the same Swedish steel. used it last weekend, I am impressed.

I've been tempted to pick up one of the Husqvarna axes but I'm still happy with the Fiskars X15. There are also a couple surplus Swedish Military models floating around that are supposed to be the bomb as per a few MUD guys. Truth is, my needs are below minimal, but I like having stuff...especially stuff that works well and looks good.

I've been tempted to pick up one of the Husqvarna axes but I'm still happy with the Fiskars X15. There are also a couple surplus Swedish Military models floating around that are supposed to be the bomb as per a few MUD guys. Truth is, my needs are below minimal, but I like having stuff...especially stuff that works well and looks good.
During the class someone asked about the fiberglass handle axes, Joe made a comment that he bought a "garden" Fiskars 12-15 years ago and he still has it and uses it. Nothing wrong with them as long as you keep them sharp and use them for their design.

One measurement I didnt know for the "perfect" handle length for you, is to grab the axe head in the palm of your hand and the handle should not extend beyond your armpit from your hand. I also got the Husqvarna hatchet, 13" handle for small, home use.

That sounds like a great size measurement for a hand axe, "boy's axe", or hatchet. A full size axe for felling or splitting should be much longer to be safe.
Smaller axes are handy for limbing trees and working on small things but obviously not great for splitting. I'm no expert at splitting wood but the longer axe will hit the ground if you miss hopefully instead of your leg.

I keep a smaller one with my gear but found out how hard it would be to split wood for a campfire a couple of weeks ago. I'm rethinking and might carry a full sized axe.

Council Tool is an NC company that makes nice axes. They're not Scandinavian but they don't cost quite as much either. Nice choice between Chinese and expensive.

That sounds like a great size measurement for a hand axe, "boy's axe", or hatchet. A full size axe for felling or splitting should be much longer to be safe.
Smaller axes are handy for limbing trees and working on small things but obviously not great for splitting. I'm no expert at splitting wood but the longer axe will hit the ground if you miss hopefully instead of your leg.

I keep a smaller one with my gear but found out how hard it would be to split wood for a campfire a couple of weeks ago. I'm rethinking and might carry a full sized axe.

Council Tool is an NC company that makes nice axes. They're not Scandinavian but they don't cost quite as much either. Nice choice between Chinese and expensive.

I used to think the same, having split countless cords of wood with big axes and splitters /mallets during my 15 years in upstate NY (9 months of winter anyone?) with wood burning fireplaces at home. But after taking the class and seeing Joe working it, splitting, etc, my mind is changed. No more need for my old battle axe. The steel one. You know what I mean. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom