Consider buying a GX... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. Long time 100 series owner here. I am considering a GX due to recent hail storm event in Iowa a couple weeks ago. I've been reading through the GX threads and it seems there are a considerable number of transmission problems on the 460 drivetrain. I am curious if there are any high mileage 460s are out there (250K and beyond) with the original transmission, and what if any the owner was doing for maintenance.

There has been a handful of transmission issues mostly on units without fluid changes. As long as it has a good maintenance history you are fine.

Reactions: r2m
I think the issues come from the "lifetime transmission fluid" which appears to indicate that if you never change the transmission fluid, the lifetime of the transmission is 150-200k miles. As the 460s age and start to climb in miles get to their 2nd/3rd/4th owners, you'll see more of this.

A Number of transmission problems? That is news to me.
Me too. Considering how many 460s are out there, I would say this is actually pretty rare compared to most vehicles. But if anyone has any actual statistics I would love to see them.

Every time I've read about a trany issue in this forum it's because of four primary issues:
  1. Never changing the fluids.
  2. Improper towing, e.g.: too heavy a vehicle, too long of a grade without a trans cooler.
  3. Driving too fast, far and too hard with heavy loads.
  4. Not installing a transmission cooler if towing anything near the max tow capacity.
These will last you a half million miles as long as you keep them up.
Just consider what you're purchasing this GX for and build/modify it accordingly (if necessary).

Not meant to be a food fight. Just looking for testimonials. Do a search in your own forum for "transmission."

About 10 years ago, the 100 series forum started to see posts regarding transmission failures and over time a couple folks on there corralled the data and it turned out there was about 10 month period of production in 2000/2001 that clearly had a problem with a spike in transmission failures at 130-150K.

Every time I've read about a trany issue in this forum it's because of four primary issues:
  1. Never changing the fluids.
  2. Improper towing, e.g.: too heavy a vehicle, too long of a grade without a trans cooler.
  3. Driving too fast, far and too hard with heavy loads.
  4. Not installing a transmission cooler if towing anything near the max tow capacity.
These will last you a half million miles as long as you keep them up.
Just consider what you're purchasing this GX for and build/modify it accordingly (if necessary).
100% this. Do your due diligence when buying and you won't have anything to worry about. It's pretty easy to find a GX that was taken care of and not beat on. Other than a fluke here or there the number of legit transmission issues from even a half maintained GX are infinitesimal.

@ the OP, consider this. Why is it that it's almost impossible to find an engine or transmission in stock for replacement for a GX? Because they don't have problems, so no need to stock them. Now, search for any GM engine or trans and see what you find. Dozens to hundreds available on the market. Let that sink in.

100% this. Do your due diligence when buying and you won't have anything to worry about. It's pretty easy to find a GX that was taken care of and not beat on. Other than a fluke here or there the number of legit transmission issues from even a half maintained GX are infinitesimal.

@ the OP, consider this. Why is it that it's almost impossible to find an engine or transmission in stock for replacement for a GX? Because they don't have problems, so no need to stock them. Now, search for any GM engine or trans and see what you find. Dozens to hundreds available on the market. Let that sink in.
👍 👍 👍

I'd been scrolling the interwebs trying to decide between a LX570 and GX460 to replace the GX470, and no mechanical issues ever swayed me one way or the other between the two, nor did any issues make me nervous. With that being said, I did purchase a 7yr 70k miles bumper to bumper warranty through the well established local selling dealership on the 2017 Luxury we purchased last month, only for a piece of mind for the KDSS, air spring system, and infotainment systems.

It's got 52k miles on it, and it is due for all new fluids soon. We will be towing frequently, and it will be getting a larger trans cooler based on the temps I was seeing while towing last wknd.

Reactions: r2m
KDSS is pretty reliable as long as the mechanism on the under body under neath the driver's seat is kept clean .

I specifically looked for a base model to avoid the air suspension.

Anecdotally, there have been several reports of GX460 transmission problems on this forum, while seemingly fewer GX470 failures. But the 460 transmission is shared by multiple other platforms (earlier LC200s and 2nd gen Tundras as well). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most 460s don't have an external transmission coolers, but the 470s do. From watching trans temps on my 470, the OEM cooler is definitely under-sized for towing/mountain roads/etc. I seems plausible the problem is worse on a 460 if they indeed do lack an external cooler.

I'd personally have no issue buying a GX460, but would definitely change the transmission fluid ASAP and add an external cooler, which is not overly expensive to do. Maybe opening the fill plug or dropping the pan to check the condition of the fluid would be a good thing to do on a higher mileage 460, before pulling the trigger.

I'd been scrolling the interwebs trying to decide between a LX570 and GX460 to replace the GX470, and no mechanical issues ever swayed me one way or the other between the two, nor did any issues make me nervous. With that being said, I did purchase a 7yr 70k miles bumper to bumper warranty through the well established local selling dealership on the 2017 Luxury we purchased last month, only for a piece of mind for the KDSS, air spring system, and infotainment systems.

It's got 52k miles on it, and it is due for all new fluids soon. We will be towing frequently, and it will be getting a larger trans cooler based on the temps I was seeing while towing last wknd.
Which trans cooler are you going with? OEM?

I plan on getting the transmission cooler installed once I live somewhere with competent Toyota mechanics outside of dealerships.

I’ve got a Hayden cooler I believe the 698 or 678 sitting in a box waiting for install.
Definitly need to do a trans flush. I’ve been stacking needed products to do allll the fluids soon. Diffs, trans, motor, transfer, even got me a grease gun to do the UCAs and drive shafts.
These things will last if taken care of.
One issue that seems to be popping up a lot is the coolant valley leak.

Which trans cooler are you going with? OEM?

I upgraded the GX470 oem cooler with the Hayden 679 (I think it was the 679?) and I felt it did a really good job of not only handling the towing, but also allowed the trans to stay warm in the cold WI winters which is just as important imho.

I fab'd my own brackets for the 470, and likely will also for the 460. The truck has 53k miles now, and I will have a trans fluid exchange done at Toyota after I get the cooler installed. I'm really surprised the GX460 didn't come with a larger trans cooler, as it really does need it when towing imho. I plan on keeping the 460 for a while, and think it's essential to add the cooler. I'm also curious if the trans fluid is currently low, as cruising on the interstate at 70mph @ 85* ambient I am seeing close to 195* avg trans temps. Too hot imho.

195F average temp was what my GX470 ran prior to installing a Hayden 678. Now it's usually ambient temp plus 80 degrees. Towing our camper it stays 170F in the summer, when the TC is locked, and only climbs to 200 when it's unlocked pulling a big hill.

In the winter I have to block off 2/3 of the Hayden 678 with a sheet of rubber to keep temps up in the 150F range on cold days.

One issue that seems to be popping up a lot is the coolant valley leak.
Regarding coolant valley leaks, from what I've seen on this forum there has only been several (less than 6???) that have had coolant valley leaks.
BUT... there has been a TON of discussion on it, which when perusing over the wealth of information about coolant valley leaks, my guess it that most of the content was for only about half dozen MUD'ers having that problem out of all the members on this forum.
The reason for so much discussion is the difficulty in repairing it yourself, so with all that being said, the appearance is that it's a chronic problem, when, in my opinion it is not.

Regarding coolant valley leaks, from what I've seen on this forum there has only been several (less than 6???) that have had coolant valley leaks.
BUT... there has been a TON of discussion on it, which when perusing over the wealth of information about coolant valley leaks, my guess it that most of the content was for only about half dozen MUD'ers having that problem out of all the members on this forum.
The reason for so much discussion is the difficulty in repairing it yourself, so with all that being said, the appearance is that it's a chronic problem, when, in my opinion it is not.
Sometime in 2014 is when Toyota changed the gasket material I believe. It is common and all 2010-(early) 2014 1UR-FEs will have the issue, but it isn't serious almost all of the time. You have plenty of time to find out you have the leak and plenty of time to get the service done. I ran over ~5k miles on a road trip out west during the summer with this leak without trouble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom