COMPLETE: Grom Audio VLine VL2 Group Buy Round 3 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

min took 1 week to be delivered to post office. I was alerted it shipped on July 31, and then finally was delivered to the post office today

Just got mine a few minutes ago. How long is it taking you guys to install this and is there a good video for a walkthrough?

I got mine in about 3-4 hours. Planning on writing it up and demoing on a video this week.

I found these videos helpful:

Note, you are probably going to break some tabs on the wood vent trim. Either order new ones in advance or... I dont know if its possible, be very careful. It cams to me after I did mine, perhaps if you could get your hand behind the trim from the glove box, you could push some of them out instead of having to pull on the trim itself. But I didn't get a chance to try.

You will definite need a trim pry tool. I recomend getting a crowbar looking ones, since you need to get under and behind the trim to really pull it out.

Also, be careful with the dashboard material, easy to damage.

Last edited:
mine was finally dropped off at the post office along with my cousins (we ordered the same day) should be here monday. any 2009 to 2010 LX570 guys, please post your installs

Notes from my install, everything went pretty well.

This video was very helpful in the tear down of the console.

Note that with the 2010 the radio is attached to the display so you only have to remove that part, you can leave the dvd part and ashtray part connected.

Be sure and pull the part over the steering wheel off a bit (to the left of the driver vent) or the driver vent will not come out easily. I got stuck there.

Also, lower the steering wheel before you disconnect power.

I drilled a hole in the glovebox and am keeping the unit there for now, may end up relocating it behind the console at some point to get that space back.

I haven’t done extensive tests but everything seems to be working. The only thing that I’ve lost is the screen doesn’t switch to the front and side cameras automatically when I stop anymore. I only really use this when I’m pulling into my garage and if I turn the radio off they come back so I can manage with that.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding a 2010 install.

You guys are the best

Notes from my install, everything went pretty well.

This video was very helpful in the tear down of the console.

Note that with the 2010 the radio is attached to the display so you only have to remove that part, you can leave the dvd part and ashtray part connected.

Be sure and pull the part over the steering wheel off a bit (to the left of the driver vent) or the driver vent will not come out easily. I got stuck there.

Also, lower the steering wheel before you disconnect power.

I drilled a hole in the glovebox and am keeping the unit there for now, may end up relocating it behind the console at some point to get that space back.

I haven’t done extensive tests but everything seems to be working. The only thing that I’ve lost is the screen doesn’t switch to the front and side cameras automatically when I stop anymore. I only really use this when I’m pulling into my garage and if I turn the radio off they come back so I can manage with that.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding a 2010 install.

awesome!! thanks a lot! im super excited!

Thanks for the video also.

I didnt know they had videos uploaded.

Received mine yesterday. Install took about 90 minutes start to finish. I gutted the cd changer and mounted the unit inside its shell so everything looks stock. Ultimately pointless since everything is hidden in the glovebox regardless, but I like the location anyway. All the ports on the vline are accessible if you slide the cd changer door open.

Installed a panavise at the same time which is a big improvement over my old air vent phone holder. Also took this as an opportunity to remove the plastic cover on the clock display so I could polish out some scratches and marring from the PO that had made it difficult to read. A little thing but genuinely a nice little fix.

Wireless CarPlay is surprisingly snappy on the vline. Faster than wired CarPlay on my old pioneer head unit. Some bugs I’m still trying to figure out.The Vline seems to turn WiFi off on its own when I connect to a hotspot which made downloading updates difficult as well as using any apps outside of CarPlay.

Thanks again for organizing the group buy. This was great.

I did all of the updates and got car play working. However, I do have a lingering issue. Do any of you guys have what looks like static in the background of what you are looking at?
At the main screen in the background it reminds me of a tv trying to get the right rf from an old Nintendo setup. I see the picture but the blacks looks wavy and oscillating.

I just made a quick video on my iPhone and posted it to YouTube. Attached is the video. Let me know what you guys think.

Am I the only one that is having these issues with what looks like static interference? I figured since a few of you installed it today you would be the people to ask.

Thanks bcomnes - got my VLine in today's mail and got it successfully installed in 2013 Land Cruiser after dinner. Booted up properly and I'll have to update it in the morning and get wireless CarPlay working. So far I do not see any issue with the black static on mine, but my hardware / video screen would be different from the GX guys here.

I was actually able to fit the GROM unit directly behind the nav/video screen and secure it with some velcro. So far so good but haven't tested much yet

Thanks everybody

Is there a way to adjust the contrast of the display? I’ve not been able to find it in the settings. CarPlay in particular looks a bit washed out.

Hey everyone. I had the unit installed at a dealership - big mistake. They plugged something into the front camera port, which doesn’t seem right to me. And considering that my backup camera no longer works... I’m thinking that they mistakenly plugged the stock backup camera into the front of the GROM instead of leaving it plugged into the back of the nav unit behind the dash.
Does anyone with a working unit have something plugged into the front facing camera port near the USBs? Thanks for your help.

Hey everyone. I had the unit installed at a dealership - big mistake. They plugged something into the front camera port, which doesn’t seem right to me. And considering that my backup camera no longer works... I’m thinking that they mistakenly plugged the stock backup camera into the front of the GROM instead of leaving it plugged into the back of the nav unit behind the dash.
Does anyone with a working unit have something plugged into the front facing camera port near the USBs? Thanks for your help.
yes the instructions have the gps unit plug into that port but it only has approximately 4 pins off to the left that connect. The rest are blank.

yes the instructions have the gps unit plug into that port but it only has approximately 4 pins off to the left that connect. The rest are blank.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is not the issue causing my backup camera to malfunction. Many of the stock radio features stopped working, including but not limited to the backup camera. I guess I will email GROM tech support and hope they can help. Or take it back apart myself and check the connections.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that is not the issue causing my backup camera to malfunction. Many of the stock radio features stopped working, including but not limited to the backup camera. I guess I will email GROM tech support and hope they can help. Or take it back apart myself and check the connections.

it sounds to me like the place that did your install either disconnected wires and never re connected them or something to that effect.

so that you know. The instructions require removal of 2 radio plugs and the grom unit has a special harness with female ports On one portion of a y and male ports on the other so that the harness for the grom connects directly to the radio and nav screen and the wires that used to connect to the radio and nav screen Now connect to the harness that goes to the grom unit.

it sounds to me like the place that did your install either disconnected wires and never re connected them or something to that effect.

so that you know. The instructions require removal of 2 radio plugs and the grom unit has a special harness with female ports On one portion of a y and male ports on the other so that the harness for the grom connects directly to the radio and nav screen and the wires that used to connect to the radio and nav screen Now connect to the harness that goes to the grom unit.
Thank you so much for trying to help me through this. By the way - I did not have any static on my 2009 screen like you were seeing.

The place that did my install insisted that I didn’t need to remove the DVD/CD player and that it would still be functional. I do not believe this is the case. So I intend to remove the DVD player and hopefully that resolves my issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom