Complete A/C system replacement?

flintknapper

SILVER Star
I have a HDJ81 Jap import, I think I understand the system now but two things I still don't understand..
1. Where is the evaporator?
2. How do you actually flush the system as my pipes were left open when I bought the truck, I am replacing all parts but not sure how to do it. Also how to I fill it with hat kit at the end?

You're asking for a complete tutorial on repairing/replacing your A/C system.

You can use the 'search' function here (80 series forum) and type in key words (I.E. evaporator) and it will pull up relevant posts.

To answer your first question: The evaporator is housed in a black plastic box/housing under the dash, behind the glove compartment door.

Your second question is more involved and rather than type out the entire procedure....just search here. Your model is a diesel engine and I will assume the vehicle is right hand drive. So some differences from our petrol, left hand drive vehicles is to be expected....BUT the principles of the A/C system will be the same.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
I have a HDJ81 Jap import, I think I understand the system now but two things I still don't understand..
1. Where is the evaporator?
2. How do you actually flush the system as my pipes were left open when I bought the truck, I am replacing all parts but not sure how to do it. Also how to I fill it with hat kit at the end?
The evaporator and thermal expansion valve are both located beneath the dash on the passenger side. I’m not sure about the proper way to flush the lines other than using compressed air.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
so i emptied the new compressor of oil. it even states to in its manual. only about 4oz. came out. @flintknapper you have been saying 8oz needs to go in a new compressor so i split it and started to put in 6oz into the H chamber (the larger of the two). but it seems to only want to take about 4oz. is it just really slow to fill? turning the clutch causes bubbles but no movement of the oil. does it matter which chamber it goes into? both? please advise...thanks!

NO....the entire system takes about 8ozs. (80 series) U.S. Spec. A new/replacement compressor will come with 'some' amount of oil in it. Typically the compressor will contain about 4 ozs of that and the rest of the components (Condenser, Evaporator, Drier and Lines) will have the rest. So if replacing ONLY the compressor.....drain the old compressor, measure the amount and add the same amount of NEW oil to the new compressor after having drained it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom