Cold Truck = Odd Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed that whenever it's cold out (below freezing), I get a fairly loud buzz/whine that sounds like it's coming from the left side of the steering column or behind the left side of the dash. I only hear it from the interior, but as it's been cold, I have not done much checking outside yet. The noise gets louder as the RPMs go up and when I turn the steering wheel. Once the truck is fully warmed up, the sound completely goes away. Also, it never happens unless it's really cold. I have not noticed any change in performance - engine, steering or otherwise.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

I get the same thing, don't sweat it. Unless it explodes, it's fine.

Speedo cable. Easy to pull the inner cable at the transfer case, clean and lube. Reinstall and you should be good to go - quietly.

Would the tach cable be an option? I think the noise relates more to RPM than speed. Why do you think it only happens when cold?

nope, because there is no tach cable, its electonic off the ignitor.

QuietMike said:
Would the tach cable be an option? I think the noise relates more to RPM than speed. Why do you think it only happens when cold?

I have similar sound on cold mornings. I assumed it was the PS pump because it makes the noise while stopped or driving and definitely changes/gets worse when turning. After 1 minute or so it quits.

gulp3000 said:
I have similar sound on cold mornings. I assumed it was the PS pump because it makes the noise while stopped or driving and definitely changes/gets worse when turning. After 1 minute or so it quits.
By your explanation it does sound more like the PS pump or belts. Maybe time for a power steering fluid replacement and/or new fan belts.

Definitely PS pump. I've go the same whine. Tried to solve it with cheese and crackers ... no luck. Don't think new fluid and/or belts will help. Already did that earlier this year. PS fluid is clean and on the cold mark of dip stick when ... ummm ... cold.

Any other ideas ?

Cahil

P.S. Wine ? Cheese & Crackers ? Oh, never mind ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom