Codes P0130 and P0133 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently had a few codes pop up on me. P0401, taken care of due to Ebag333's bypass mod!! and P0130 -- O2 sensor malfunction (Bank1 Sensor 1) and P0133 -- O2 Sensor CKT slow response (Bank 1 sensor 1)

is this as simple as replacing the sensor, or os there more too it? Easy to do?

Anyone bough any aftermarket O2 sensors that they have had any luck with? I know these boards are full of using toyota parts, but I would try a different sensor if someone has something that would/has worked well!!

Let me know,

...is this as simple as replacing the sensor, or os there more too it? Easy to do?

with those codes I'd change both sensors out with OEM ones.

x2 on using OE, especially O2 sensors, and how easy they are depends on how much corrosion you have on the nuts holding the sensors in.

Start spraying rust penetrant on now, and then every day until Saturday, and by then they should be able to come off pretty easily :D

g'luck, Dan.

My rig is from Cali, and it's only been in snow for 2 years, so I hope it's not too bad!! is there a reason that you guys recommend the OE O2 sensors? Just wondering?

I had the same codes, called up CDan and got some oem for cheap. Problem solved

any other comments?

I think some of the early years of the FZJ had problems with the O2 sensor wire harness detaching from the frame rail and rubbing on the driveshaft. Have you looked under your truck to check that everything is where it should be? The FSM has some wiring checks you can do too.

I think some of the early years of the FZJ had problems with the O2 sensor wire harness detaching from the frame rail and rubbing on the driveshaft. Have you looked under your truck to check that everything is where it should be? The FSM has some wiring checks you can do too.

ooohh, that's a good point. Actually happened to me, but it would blow the EFi fuse because it rubbed through the O2 sensor power wire. It could just as easily have rubbed through one of the sensor wires! Cheap to check that one for sure. The harness runs along the PS inside of the frame rail and might rub on the front driveshaft.

Why OE? That's the way Dr. T intended it! Serously, better fitment, meant for the truck, lasts a long time, etc... want the whole list or will that do? They are likely a little more expensive up front, but will last for another 100K miles.

Dan.

P0130 -- O2 sensor malfunction (Bank1 Sensor 1) and P0133 -- O2 Sensor CKT slow response (Bank 1 sensor 1)

P0130 can be caused by a problem with the O2 sensor (or wiring) or a problem with the fuel trim (as per my FSM).

P0133 only lists the O2 sensor itself as a possible cause.

xWhatever on checking the wiring, then replacing the O2 sensors if the wiring is good.

(From my '97 FSM, but should be the same idea on yours.)
O2 Sensor.jpg

Thanks guys I ordered new parts from Dan today... Just to let you know that I looked into generic parts at a local store........

Be prepared this a frightening, and also letting you know how badly we get ripped off here in Canada!!

Keep in mind that the Can/US dollar is close to par right now!!

Auto Value ---- Generic part for front sensor----- $253. Replacing both sensors would be over $600.
Local Toyota ---- Toyota Part, not in stock--------$353. Replacing both sensors would be over $700.

Cruiser Dan ----- In stock, but needs to ship to me Probably pay about $15-20 for shipping and about another $40 for duty at the border..... Toyota Part is 109.65 I ordered both, and the nuts too!!

Front, list $146.20, net $109.65
Rear, list $160.92, net $120.69
Nuts, list $2.13 each, net $1.60 each

Replacing both would be approx. $325 shipping, tax, duty, exchange all included!!

THANKS A MILLION DAN!!

I bought a 97 LX450 a month ago. I have been working on performing the routine baseline. The muffler was shot, so I replaced that on 10/18. On 10/22 I got my first CEL. On 10/23 I changed oil to synthetic for the first time and also replaced an aftermarket air filter with the OEM 17801-61030. The CEL started to come and go on a daily basis. It was pretty much on every morning, but it would disappear later in the day (when it warmed up? - I am in MN).

Today I had Autozone read the code for me and it was a P0130. They gave me a price of an aftermarket of the O2 sensor at $132.

I had a CEL in my 99 Tacoma for years knowing it was an O2 sensor. Finally I had the dealership look at the sensor. I thought they were going to want to replace it. But, they were able to 'clean' it. They did not charge me and I never had another CEL.

So I guess I have a couple questions. If it was the muffler replacement - why did it take 4 days for the CEL? Any idea why my CEL does not remain on? Is the PM to just replace the O2 sensor no questions asked? Ebag mentioned fuel trim. How do I confirm this is not the reason before I replace a sensor?

Oh and I am less than a 1:banana: mechanic.
D

Digging a thread back from the dead....

How can you tell your pinouts when they are not marked? It seems like the correct pins have blue and white colored wires, but I would like to be sure, as the black wires indicate the correct resistance, but all other combinations indicate open. Thoughts?

Thank God for this thread and the FSM manual location. I was looking under the hood :whoops:

I just did both O2 sensors. Wow. What a bear! I bought the factory ones from the dealership. The nuts were so firmly rusted onto the threaded shafts that I gave up (for fear of simply snapping the threaded shafts off) and went to the local exhaust shop.

It took two guys from the exhaust shop 2+ hours to get the O2 sensors swapped out! They were kind enough to let me watch (and assist), so I could clearly tell they knew what they were doing and were actually very clever.

They definitely knew what they were doing, and even they ended up snapping one of the threaded shafts and needed to put a new one in.

Suffice it to say that they used a number of tricks like welding new nuts onto the rusted ones and using the new nuts as a way to 'grab' the rusted nuts to get them off there. They used penetrating oil, welders, torches, bucket wrenches and I learned a lot watching them.

Next time, I'm definitely taking it to the exhaust shop to replace!

-Muddy1

I just did both O2 sensors. Wow. What a bear! I bought the factory ones from the dealership. The nuts were so firmly rusted onto the threaded shafts that I gave up (for fear of simply snapping the threaded shafts off) and went to the local exhaust shop.

It took two guys from the exhaust shop 2+ hours to get the O2 sensors swapped out! They were kind enough to let me watch (and assist), so I could clearly tell they knew what they were doing and were actually very clever.

They definitely knew what they were doing, and even they ended up snapping one of the threaded shafts and needed to put a new one in.

Suffice it to say that they used a number of tricks like welding new nuts onto the rusted ones and using the new nuts as a way to 'grab' the rusted nuts to get them off there. They used penetrating oil, welders, torches, bucket wrenches and I learned a lot watching them.

Next time, I'm definitely taking it to the exhaust shop to replace!

-Muddy1
Getting the same codes on my new to me 1996 cruiser. They go away for a few days after I clear them then come back.
Anyone know if CDan is still on the forum and how to reach him.
Thanks a lot.
R

Getting the same codes on my new to me 1996 cruiser. They go away for a few days after I clear them then come back.
Anyone know if CDan is still on the forum and how to reach him.
Thanks a lot.
R
Dan is not selling parts anymore. They put him in a museum. People have had success cleaning the sensors (if you can get them off).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom