Cocktails (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Ok...this thread topic seemed sorely needed :D

Local strawberries seem to be in season here most of the time but right now they're just candy sweet, juicy and plentiful. Bought a bunch at Friday's farmer's market in Monterey and well what does one do when they have too many strawberries on a fairly warm day (for here ;))? Yep...make strawberry daiquiris :D

Fresh candy sweet strawberries + cachaca rum + coconut milk + (a 1/2 banana if you have one...I didn't darn it) a little fresh lime juice + powdered sugar + ice cubes then into the blender = Fine way to end the hot day!

Some consider the daiquiri a girly drink...these tasted so good I had two. So to hell with stereotypes :D

photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg

I feared it was another way my laptop was trying to get itself replaced. My phone is in cahoots with it, too. There goes the rear swing out I was saving for - so depressing when life gets in the way of fun. Not even 900am and I need a drink! Looks like I'm in the right thread, at least.

No kidding. Sitting here drinking my morning vegetable juice and thinking this needs vodka.

Bacon vodka Bloody Mary's = Morning problem solver :D

We enjoy the Margarita thing when it's hot.

On the rocks; 1 shot tequila, 1 shot of grand marnier and the lime mix of choice.

Fill the blender with ice, adjust the ingredients, and you have something that will take the core temp down while getting dinner prepped.:cool: Makes the fud taste better also, imo.

Campari: No in betweeners...you either love it or hate it (ditto for bitters in general). I'm in the former category...started drinking it decades ago. Much to cruiserdrew's chagrin :D the only way I like gin is in a Negroni.

For those that don't know what a Negroni aka "Italian Valium" is: Equal parts Campari, sweet/semi-sweet vermouth and gin...over ice with a twist of orange peel. Beats the classic martini for stepping me down a notch or three :D

My favorite vodka is Hangar One (plain)...over ice or simple martini with a whisp of vermouth. But for making bacon, or any flavored vodka, Tito's or Ketel One are better values.

Never took to the potato vodkas I've tried...maybe I never tasted a good one.

Been hitting up the vodka sweet tea of late, garnished with fresh picked mint. I keep coming back to Finlandia vodka, very enjoyable drop. I'll give Hangar One a try.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

Another favorite summertime cocktail we enjoy: Caipirinha. Similar to the more renowned (at least in the USA ;)) Mojito...it is also made using cachaca.

For a lime based Caipirinha: Muddle 1/2 fresh lime (2-wedges) with a couple teaspoons of brown sugar in a highball glass. Add ice and cachaca...simple and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon! For a little lighter version add a little sparkling water...

*Cachaca (ka-sha-saw)...rum variant that is distilled from sugarcane juice...rather than whole sugar cane (rum).

Basil Julep, slightly different twist on the mint version. I like the smokiness of an Irish whiskey, and is just fine with your favorite Bourbon too.

1 part Irish whiskey, I have either Bushmills or Powers on hand.
2 parts simple syrup that's had a good handful of basil steep in it.
Shake over ice cubes combined with another handful of basil.
Enjoy.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1402699067.244762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

My go to is a Manhattan; two shots of bourbon, one shot of sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters, shaken and served up.
I enjoy a Cape Cod on a Hot summer day; Vodka, Cranberry juice, club soda and a squeeze of lime over crushed ice.
I'm also a fan of martinis, not the fruity, sweet crap that they serve nowadays just two shots of gin one shot of dry vermouth shaken and served up with an olive and a pickled onion (technically only a Gibson has pickled onions). IMHO a vodka martini is not a martini.
An oldie but a goodie is a Gimlet; Gin mixed with equal parts of Roses Lime juice served on the rocks with a Maraschino cherry garnish, it taste like neither gin or lime.

I used to run Ketel or Grey Goose, until I found Titos. It's $18 at Samrt N Final around here. Been looking for Dripping Springs but can't find it. Tito's splash of Cranberry, and 7Up.

Another fave is the typical vodka-tonic. But swap a Cutie/Pixie mandarin for the lime. Dangerous! :D

Had a few Manhattans last weekend. On top of beer and 99 degree weather, what did I do last night?

Homemade bacon vodka + home canned spicy pickled asparagus (think habaneros in the brine) & slab bacon swizzle sticks + celery salt'd rim + new Bloody Mary recipe = A keeper!

That's how we kicked it down a notch tonight.

FYI: The only change I made to the recipe was not including the beef juice and garlic...only because I wasn't in the mood to make a grocery store run. Otherwise they'll get included next time ;)

This was the first time and only recipe I found that strained the tomato juice and it made a huge difference! Very flavorful but still 'light on its feet' with the subtracted tomato paste/pulp.

Bacon Vodka Bloody Mary.jpg

Attachments

• Rick's Picks Bloody Mary Mix by Rick Field.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom