Cobbler. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Thinking of suprising the wife with a fresh peach blackberry cobbler tomorrow. She has to work, and is the pro at this (so it's always been left in her hands), anyone have any good recipes?

I have and make 1/2 dozen different cobbler recipes...basically variations of the same.

This is a go to recipe for me: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/easy-to-gobble-cobbler-recipe/index.html

Another way to amp up crisp and cobbler recipes, courtesy of Cook's Country, is to take 1-1/2C apple cider (for apple crisp) or peach/nectarine juice (you get it...) and reduce it down to 3/4C (50%) and use it in your fruit portion of the recipe.

I expect a pic post :)

I have and make 1/2 dozen different cobbler recipes...basically variations of the same.

This is a go to recipe for me: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/easy-to-gobble-cobbler-recipe/index.html

Another way to amp up crisp and cobbler recipes, courtesy of Cook's Country, is to take 1-1/2C apple cider (for apple crisp) or peach/nectarine juice (you get it...) and reduce it down to 3/4C (50%) and use it in your fruit portion of the recipe.

I expect a pic post :)

Just got back from the market with the stuff not on hand, even found tapioca four (whatever that is)... spresso, thanks for the link, it does sound like a good one. And John, if I can pull this off, you can, I cake mangle anything baked as well.:hillbilly:

Yes, good or fail, I will post a pic.;)

SS you inspired me...

Organic Apricot Galette...local apricots. Playing second fiddle to a rack of lamb tonight...

Apricot Galette.jpg

This is how I cheat. It also turns out nicely done indirectly on the grill with some applewood, cherry or pecan smoke.

DUMP CAKE
--in order of placement
9x13 greased pan
can of crushed pineapple
can of cherry pie filling
dry white cake mix
1.5 sticks of butter cut up and spread on top
chopped walnuts if you like
350-degrees for 1 hour.

--john

Some folks have that baking gift, my stuff is actually yummy if you are blindfolded, lol.

101_1258.jpg
101_1259.jpg

101_1258.jpg

101_1259.jpg

Perfect SS!

ooooh I couldn't stand it! Made a Peach/Mango/Blueberry cobbler last night. I didn't have the required 1/2 cup cranberries, so used some of my fresh frozen Sour Orange juice.--turned out great!
yeah, cobblers frequently look a little messy--Try this crust:
Basic Cast Iron Crust---Courtesy Jack's Skillet
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
2/3 cup butter
Pinch salt
1/2 cup ice water

keep the butter COLD! cut it into the flour with a couple of knives, or a pastry wire- til the butter is about the size of a pea. Add the salt. Cut in more til the crumbles are 1/2 the size. Add the water a little at a time til you get a good dough--DO Not Knead!
Roll the dough out on a floured board till you get it ~ 1/8" thick(this should be about 2" larger than the size of a 2" deep X 8" diameter cast iron skillet)
Preheat oven to 375 Deg F.
Place the dough in the skillet, trimming off the overhang(save for top crosshatch)
Add the preferred filling(if you cooked down the filling beforehand, you need to toss the dough/skillet into the oven to just toast it - maybe 10 mins.)
Add the filling, and bake for ~ 50 mins.

Not made in camp...but could be ;)...but at home. Local strawberries and blueberries...and they're like candy right now. So...what to do with an over abundance of berries (in addition to daiquiris, margaritas, mojitos, etc.,) Yes: COBBLER!

Easy, quick and damn tasty!

Strawberry & Blueberry Cobbler.jpg

I expect a how to my way.;)

^ That one is easy peasy...basically a crepe batter with baking powder...atop berries. But here's the details (recipe courtesy of Divas Can Cook):

I cut this in 1/2 and held back some on the sugar given the berries were so sweet to begin with...as always YMMV:

3C fresh strawberries, diced (as you can see I added blueberries too...but apricots, blackberries, peaches, nectarines...well you get the idea). Often I kick this to 4C of berries...again YMMV.
1/2-3/4C sugar
1C AP flour
2t baking powder
1/2t salt
1/2C sugar
1C milk
1/2t vanilla extract (I also add 1/4-1/2t almond extract too)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375* (I found 400* works better for me...even at sea level...go figure)
2. Add strawberries and the 1/2 to 3/4C sugar into a bowl; stir to coat
3. In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar)
4. Add in milk, vanilla (and almond extract if using) and melted butter; stir to combine...but don't overdue it...a few lumps are perfectly fine!
5. Butter up a 9" casserole dish
6. Pour the batter evenly into the casserole dish
7. Spoon the berries/fruit atop the batter...I gently press some of the berries into the batter (even though the author says "not to" :D)
8. Bake for about 45-minutes or until golden brown
9. Serve warm or cold

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom