Coating/Painting Wheel Wells. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just pressure washed the underside of the 80 and I’d like to coat or paint the wheel wells. Post up ideas of what you have done please. BTW, I have NO rust under this 80.

I've used brush-on truck bed liner in the past with good results.

Even with no visible rust IMHO I would use a rust convertor type coating or treatment before any type of undercoating, there will be some stone dings down to the metal that just haven't rusted yet.

There are many brands, here's one:

Amazon product ASIN B001RETVDK

Last edited:
Interested … I think some folks used POR15 as well

Toyota used seam sealer. Like this,

E8425974-F2CC-473C-AAF7-1396C456108B.jpeg

Chances of yours being toast are slim. It does blow up over time but I have stripped it off a truck with over 400,000 miles on it and there wasn’t much rust under it. To get it off you need to burn it and strip with a wire wheel. You can get seam sealer in brush on. It says softish which to me is best for rock hits.

I would top coat it with a color matched paint. Or you could do a high quality rubberized undercoating on it.

I wouldn’t put bedliner in the wheel well. It will chip out over time from rocks.

Cheers

I remember wanting to have a third can so the last two weren't progressively thinner. With all the prep necessary what's another ten bucks? Results last about a decade.

Toyota used seam sealer. Like this,

View attachment 2250646

Chances of yours being toast are slim. It does blow up over time but I have stripped it off a truck with over 400,000 miles on it and there wasn’t much rust under it. To get it off you need to burn it and strip with a wire wheel. You can get seam sealer in brush on. It says softish which to me is best for rock hits.

I would top coat it with a color matched paint. Or you could do a high quality rubberized undercoating on it.

I wouldn’t put bedliner in the wheel well. It will chip out over time from rocks.

Cheers
Totally agree with this, I am currently working on my 94(fitting 39s )it has 280k miles on it, the under Factory undercoating is in perfect condition it's over an eighth of an inch thick.I have been using a wood chisel to Chisel it off. Zero rust underneath. Unless your rig saw tens of thousands of miles of gravel roads I don't know how this could wear off.
To finish my work off arm using an automotive primer, then seam sealer suggested over all seams and a rubberized undercoating over everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom