Coastal Off-road Front Bumper & HF Badlands ZXR winch build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pieces 11-13 tacked in place. Once 14 goes in the right wing assembly will be done.

588383DF-63EB-4DF2-902C-814EF896CC9B.jpeg

6C089F37-1442-4EEC-A7F8-F99CC8967132.jpeg

AB2E236E-D9A8-443A-A1FD-E13243F9DAD3.jpeg

I dropped the bumper after tacking it all together. There are some gussets on the backside to tack in place that also hold the cube lights.

Kind of bummed, bottom plate has elongated bolt holes and i didn’t shove it all the way forward when tightening. My #6’s are off as a result. I’m going to remove them and tack them in the proper position flush with the wing rather than try and bridge the gap (1/4”).

C5EA3A64-C1AC-4FE7-A382-C1A3593C1ADA.jpeg

F43E5121-E335-4033-821A-9DB1656CFA9B.jpeg

40D1DFA5-F242-483F-8EB1-2185AA41CD86.jpeg

Are you sure about the holes? My son’s Coastal kit with hoop had no holes in the top plate. I believe we cut the ends to be in the same plane and welded it straight to the plate, then used the included gussets.

Are you sure about the holes? My son’s Coastal kit with hoop had no holes in the top plate. I believe we cut the ends to be in the same plane and welded it straight to the plate, then used the included gussets.
It was just what I noticed on the instructions. Thanks for sharing that, my guess is that the plate with holes cut is for the full hoop coverage for the option available that extends all the way out to headlights.

Welding is about 90% complete with some minor stitch welding on the backside left to be done. Couple hours of grinding today, will move to flap disk next.

View attachment 3038267

View attachment 3038268

View attachment 3038269

View attachment 3038270
Welding those outside 90s (of which there seem to be several hundred inches on these plate bumper kits) and ending up with the chamfer or round edge you envisioned is quite the learning experience. Maybe when I retire I’ll get in enough practice to significantly cut down on my grinding!

Coastal nicely left those two holes for forward facing lights. We put Diode Dynamics fogs in my son’s bumper, which he loves (lots of bad weather mountain driving in his life these days). Do you have similar plans?

Welding those outside 90s (of which there seem to be several hundred inches on these plate bumper kits) and ending up with the chamfer or round edge you envisioned is quite the learning experience. Maybe when I retire I’ll get in enough practice to significantly cut down on my grinding!

Coastal nicely left those two holes for forward facing lights. We put Diode Dynamics fogs in my son’s bumper, which he loves (lots of bad weather mountain driving in his life these days). Do you have similar plans?
The nice thing about having a welder is that it's NEVER too messed up to fix. Just add more weld and time.

Yes, I'll be installing 4 3" cube lights in the openings provided, just not sure what yet. But after a google search I've sourced a stinger, which will just need angle cut for fit then welded in. Sort of odd you can get them cheaper from Summit then on TrailGears site.

Yes, I'll be installing 4 3" cube lights in the openings provided, just not sure what yet. But after a google search I've sourced a stinger, which will just need angle cut for fit then welded in. Sort of odd you can get them cheaper from Summit then on TrailGears site.

So I ordered the stinger yesterday from Summit and it arrived today, color me impressed for standard shipping. One perk of living in NE Ohio I guess. Should be able to weld that on tonight, came with a couple of gussets as well.

70E6CD03-D480-43B9-B107-71268ECF37ED.jpeg

05093FE9-9669-4AE5-ABEA-3981D0389E14.jpeg

If I had to guess, I'd say the bumper will be somewhere in the ball park of 12-20 hours depending on skill experience and equipment to build.
HAHAhahaha.....not so much. If you are a novice like me, bank on 50 hours start to finish.

HAHAhahaha.....not so much. If you are a novice like me, bank on 50 hours start to finish.
I’ve figured as much. I just started my rear bumper. I’m about 6-8hours in and it’s just barely all tac’d up. Looking forward to the welding, not so much the grinding.

I’ve figured as much. I just started my rear bumper. I’m about 6-8hours in and it’s just barely all tac’d up. Looking forward to the welding, not so much the grinding.
welding good, grinding bad....be sure to wear a respirator/face mask

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom