CO, 3.70 gears, OME 2.5", tire thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I sold my 4Runner, today I ordered my OME 2.5" Heavy Kit, and I am very amped to lift my 60 and get some new tires.:bounce2:

I am trying to decide between 31x10.5" and 33x9.5" BFGs on my stock wheels... looking for some ideas from everyone here.

Here's my question for people who live at or above 5,000 feet. With my stock 3.70 gears and 4-speed tranny, will I be able to run 33x9.5 BFGs and still get up the hills on the highway (like 285 or I70 specifically) at 50 mph? I know I will experience a big final gearing change from the stock tires that came with the truck - would I be better off re-gearing before getting 33"s?

Also, will I have rubbing with the 2-3" lift and 33x9.5" or 31x10.5" tires?

Big thanks!

-Jay

Yesterday I sold my 4Runner, today I ordered my OME 2.5" Heavy Kit, and I am very amped to lift my 60 and get some new tires.:bounce2:

I am trying to decide between 31x10.5" and 33x9.5" BFGs on my stock wheels... looking for some ideas from everyone here.

Here's my question for people who live at or above 5,000 feet. With my stock 3.70 gears and 4-speed tranny, will I be able to run 33x9.5 BFGs and still get up the hills on the highway (like 285 or I70 specifically) at 50 mph? I know I will experience a big final gearing change from the stock tires that came with the truck - would I be better off re-gearing before getting 33"s?

Also, will I have rubbing with the 2-3" lift and 33x9.5" or 31x10.5" tires?

Big thanks!

-Jay

Definitely go with 33" tires. You will not regret it. You also should not experience any rubbing issues.

As far as the gearing, you will be fine for now but I would plan on doing it later. I am running 33's with stock gears right now but will soon to a swap.

My 1986 had 33X9.5s and stock gears and I had trouble on long inclines. Wound up in 3rd gear going 45 mph most of those times. If you can anticipate the inclines and get going about 75 it helps, but if the hill is long enough, you will fade eventually. I now have 4.11 gears and it is much better with 33s. Our other 1987 FJ 60 is stock gears and 31X10,5s. It does much better. You will enjoy the OME lift as it really makes the ride smoother but it would be difficult to spend the money and not go with a larger tire. Maybe you can get a set of 4.11 3rds out of a 62 for cheap? We drive at 5000 feet plus around here.

bite the bullet :)

I did that drive (I70 to the Beave) about every other weekend this year in mine (33's/4.11). I need a carb re-build and have a winch and bumpers and junk like that and I'm doing 45 in 3rd up the pull to the tunnel with that setup, and the top of vail pass (especially coming back east up Vail Pass.

for advice specifically regarding that drive, I say go with the 31's on stock gearing...but...really, you want 33's and go 4.11's as suggested above. that brings things back close to stock. it's a nice lift and you'll prbably look at it somedays and say "mmm...wish I got the 33's" ;) they fill the wheel well much nicer.

see...then, what's neat is you can get the locker installed in the used 3rds before putting them in your truck. muaaaah aaaah ahhh

thanks!

After the above responses and reading some of the other threads on tire size, I am def. going with 33x9.5"s... I like my stock wheels, and I like the 9.5" width better with the stock wheels, on the road, and in the snow here in Colorado.

I'm going to see how it goes with stock gears, and if I feel I need 4.11s I will maybe consider doing that after H55 in a year or two. I've never had a truck that did better than 45 mph uphill on I70 anyway.

:beer::beer::beer:

After the above responses and reading some of the other threads on tire size, I am def. going with 33x9.5"s... I like my stock wheels, and I like the 9.5" width better with the stock wheels, on the road, and in the snow here in Colorado.

I'm going to see how it goes with stock gears, and if I feel I need 4.11s I will maybe consider doing that after H55 in a year or two. I've never had a truck that did better than 45 mph uphill on I70 anyway.

:beer::beer::beer:

I'd do the gears 1st before the H55 for two reasons...

#1 They're cheaper
#2 With a 33 / 3.7 / H55 / 2F combo you won't have enough torque to use 5th gear unless you're on flat ground going 80+ (where wind resistance really slows you down).

With 33s / 4.11 / H55 I get good usable power in 5th gear from 65 - 80 mph.(according to the speedo)

:beer:

Hmmm... very good point about gearing (and $$), I hadn't thought that far into the swap.

Here's another question... if I put 33x9.5"s on before I do the lift kit with my nearly flat original springs, will I have rubbing on the highway... I'm just not sure I can wait until next week to get new tires...:cool:

Yes, and Yes...

X2[

QUOTE=FJ60Cam;3218186]I'd do the gears 1st before the H55 for two reasons...

#1 They're cheaper
#2 With a 33 / 3.7 / H55 / 2F combo you won't have enough torque to use 5th gear unless you're on flat ground going 80+ (where wind resistance really slows you down).

With 33s / 4.11 / H55 I get good usable power in 5th gear from 65 - 80 mph.(according to the speedo)

:beer:[/QUOTE]

Seems like a unanimous vote here, 4.10s and 33" tires. I had to change the gears after going to 33" tires as the poor thing just didn't have the poop. I live in Salt Lake City area where it is also high elevation.

I sure like my 33 x 9.50s on the 60. I am moving to Colorado this summer though, and also have concerns about the altitude and the looooong inclines up I70. I also have a winch, OME 2.5, and other stuff that adds weight. I am going to just have to learn to live in the far right lane with the big rigs.

x3 on the diffs before the h55f.
I drove our 60 w/ an h41 (about the same first 4 gears as h55) and 31x10.50 tires and 3.73 gears. It wasn't often that I wanted a fifth gear. If I had 33" tires on it, I doubt I would have needed 5th.... ever.

Id do the 4.11s, BUT Id go 33x12.50.....wider wheel and tire will be much more stable (I know you like your wheels) with the lift...allthough there will be more "resistance" with the wider tire. anyway, 4.11s for sure.

I'm running 33x12.5 Destinations on stock wheels, stock gears, and the stock h41 I think and it's almost the same with the old tires (30x9.5). I really like how it runs and it still a tractor off the road!! I'm also 2" of lift and it's ok it only rubs in the rear wheels inside.. not to worry. I think with 2.5 or 3" you'll be fine.

Quick reminder: "stock" in the states is 3.73 diffs and an h42 tranny, which has higher 1st and 2nd gears than the h41. (Ok, third is also taller, but *barely*)

I'm running 33x12.5 Destinations on stock wheels, stock gears, and the stock h41 I think and it's almost the same with the old tires (30x9.5). I really like how it runs and it still a tractor off the road!! I'm also 2" of lift and it's ok it only rubs in the rear wheels inside.. not to worry. I think with 2.5 or 3" you'll be fine.

Just sold my 60. I had 33x12.50s and stock gearing & tranny. Great for around town and down the interstate, but bad going up I-70 and really noticeable loss when wheeling. If you are for sure going with a 5 speed in the future, I would go one step lower than 4:11s, end up with better offroad gearing, and still great on the HWY with that 5th gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom