Clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I know I need a new clutch, cuz it slips like crazy. How do I know if I need a new flywheel?

Also, are there any directions you know of explaining the process of replacing a clutch in a 40 on here? Did a search-couldnt find too much.

might not need a new one but you will need yours re-surfaced, the shop(machine or brake) that does it will be able to tell you if it's OK or not. I haven't had to replace one in a Cruiser before, just had resurfaced.

unless there are deep heat cracks in the flywheel you probably dont need to replace it i would recommend that you get the flywheel turned though they can usually take out most of the small heat checks and most places can usually tell you the specs on the thickness and if it has never been turned before you shouldnt have any problems. have fun

The process is no that bad, other than having to work inside the bellhousing. Make sure you have an alignment tool, as it makes it much easier.

You can ruin a new clutch by not surfacing the flywheel. I have a, new in box, clutch and freshly turned flywheel if you are interested for the F. I assume that is what you still have in yours.

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=8681;start=msg74522#msg74522 date=1071164829]
The process is no that bad..... [/quote]

It just about doubles the work, IMHO, having done it twice (once on new engine, once on old). It is a PITA. Maybe when you get to the decision point, you can take a picture and we can vote on whether you go on.

I didn't say it was quick, just not that hard. ::). It is a "fun" project to say the least.

"I have a, new in box, clutch and freshly turned flywheel if you are interested for the F. I assume that is what you still have in yours"

Still have the F. Why do you have them sitting around, if you don't mind me asking? How much $ we talking? What else would I need to install (tools, throw out bearing)?

I changed my mind midstream and put a 2F in. I have a hardly used TO bearing also. I will see what all is in the kit when I get home and let you know. I think I even have a new rear seal if you want that as well.

$200 plus shipping for all. I have no idea how much shipping the flywheel would be though.

You will need a pilot bearing for sure.

Tools:
Hand tools to remove access plates and clutch/flywheel.
Help to turn engine over to get to all the bolts or it takes even longer.
Alignment tool, I think is still in the kit.

The pilot bearing may not have to be changed, but it is usually a good idea. I think there is a recent thread here about the removal of that.

Assuming you know how to remove tunnel and tranny/xfer.

"Assuming you know how to remove tunnel and tranny/xfer"

Damn-not really. Wondering if I should take it somewhere to get this one done?

If you have the space and time, I would do it. It really is not that difficult. The hump comes out with about 12 bolts. I generally have to remove my seats and move the gas tank some. There are 4 bolts holding the tranny on the bellhousing. If you have a cage you can lash the trany/xfer to it with straps. It also makes putting everything back easier.

if i were you i would definatly change the piolet and the throwout while you were there. because once you have it all apart and realize what a pain in the a** it is to do you will not want to do it again when your throwout goes bad and you realize you should have just put a new one in when you had it out the same with the the piolet. a clutch job like everyone said is not a technical job it just requires time and patience the hardest part about doing a clutch is that the trans and transfer case are heavy and awkward so if you dont have a nice floor jack and a good friend i wouldnt attempt it but if you do then it is just basicly remove and replace parts and put it back together like i said not that hard but just awkward and you will probably drop a few f bombs on the way but an experience everyone should have to experience at least once in there life so enough said good luck

Ha! "F-Bombs" for sure....

--3 timer. ( I love my buddy's engine lift, through the passenger door for this job).

Hey 73. I'm interested in the clutch if you have not
already sold it. Where did you purchase the pressure
plate and disc? Is the pressure plate new?

No shipping needed as I'm local to Atlanta.

I agree with the others, if you have the tools, place, time and manuals it really isn't that hard. If you have it done you'll spend quite a bit on labor.
Like Stretch said:
if i were you i would definatly change the piolet and the throwout while you were there. because once you have it all apart and realize what a pain in the a** it is to do you will not want to do it again when your throwout goes bad and you realize you should have just put a new one in when you had it out the same with the the piolet
Also, I used two floor jacks, and a helper to maneuver everything into place. There was one jack sticking out each side and it went in pretty easy.

Having done more clutches than you can imagine I would always machine the flywheel or get one that is already done through your local NAPA auto parts or good parts store. Doing the clutch job once is a piece of cake. Doing it multiple times is a pisser. Take your time, do it right and it can be fun. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom