Clutch Troubles - FJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1993 FZJ75 pickup’s clutch pushes to the floorboard and then stays there. No hydraulic leaks, reservoir is full, and the clutch does not engage. Is this a classic case of a bad master cylinder?

When I look at the transmission there is no movement on the slave cylinder (at least I think that’s what is shown in the picture) when pushing and pulling the clutch pedal.

Looking for advice on how to properly troubleshoot, and a part source (USA) if you got it.
Thanks!
85E6D076-EC43-4B8C-B860-2BAD2D86C9CE.jpeg
19779F1C-B7C3-4FFC-BE7A-C983B92C2D82.jpeg
6994071E-1250-4EF3-AC18-70DAAD893A5C.jpeg

I had a similar issue when I went to bleed my clutch system after 2 years of inactivity. It turned out that the internal seals in the master cylinder weren't sealing any more and the system wouldn't build pressure. I happened to have a master cylinder from a T100 and it turned out that while the bodies were different the piston and seals were the same. I swapped parts and it worked fine.

In other words, it sounds to me like a master cylinder rebuild kit or just a new master cylinder will fix the problem.

Hello,

Chances are your either your clutch master or slave cylinder, or both, gave up the ghost.

FJ7x Cruisers had a different slave cylinder type than diesel or FZJ7x models. I am not sure if this type of cylinder is still available.

You can try replacing the seals. There is a clutch cylinder repair kit. Part numbers are:
  1. 04311-60110: master cylinder kit.
  2. 04313-60100: diesel/late model slave cylinder kit. The catalog says it can be used with FJ7x models.

Hope this helps.

Juan

I replaced both of mine for peace of mind after one observation of weird sticking. I bought them through FJ parts to save money. Check your local dealer, too. I used TOYO DIY to ID the parts, then referred to Ih8mud to learn more about the PN history and availability, then ordered the parts from FJ parts and/or local dealer.

I also had a custom stainless clutch cable made by Cruiser Outfitters IIRC, because the factory hose is NLA (not to mention an old-ass new-old stock hose would probably fail pretty soon if it was manufactured decades ago).

(not to mention an old-ass new-old stock hose would probably fail pretty soon if it was manufactured decades ago).

Definitely not the case.

Why would a clutch hose made of steel and rubber and hermetically sealed deteriorate?

Also, you can use a later hose in place of the discontinued hose for the BJ75 by getting rid of the rigid metal line on the LH fender.

Definitely not the case.

Why would a clutch hose made of steel and rubber and hermetically sealed deteriorate?

Also, you can use a later hose in place of the discontinued hose for the BJ75 by getting rid of the rigid metal line on the LH fender.

Rubber deteriorates. Not sure if many car parts are “hermetically sealed”. You use that word, but do you even know what it means?

PM me @Arizona Jeff if you would like more info. Or, just ask @Onur for his opinion; I’m sure he’d gladly give it to you 😂

Rubber deteriorates. Not sure if many car parts are “hermetically sealed”. You use that word, but do you even know what it means?

PM me @Arizona Jeff if you would like more info. Or, just ask @Onur for his opinion; I’m sure he’d gladly give it to you 😂

Brake fluid components can be understood as hermetically sealed as brake fluid is hygroscopic. You don't want air getting mixed into the brake lines :) If you are...well we all know what happens when air is in the lines.

Something makes me think we all know that...but here we are.

“Hermetically” & “hygroscopic” ..... this is one of those rare threads where I had to go “Google” the meanings. :lol:

Did you figure this out @Arizona Jeff? I was able to figure out equivalent master/slave cylinders used in 60-series trucks here in the USA... and ordered the AISIN replacements for much cheaper than OEM at my parts dealer.

Also, I can't resist the hermitically sealed conversation. @Onur is correct in my experience... all brake/clutch hoses I've ordered from Toyota have come in a sealed bag. Air tight kind of like a food item. Also, none of hoses I've ordered for my 40, 80, or 75 have been that old when I bought them... they all have manufacturing dates printed on them and the oldest I got was like 18 months or so.

Finally, I'd take an OEM hose made 18 months ago and sealed in it's bag over ANY aftermarket stainless line. My FJ40 (1977) had the original hoses on it when I restored it in 2016... the originals lasted 39 years. They were cracked and weathered, but the date rings were still attached! My FJ75 (1991) still had the original hoses on it when purchased and I've still not replaced the clutch hoses... 29 years and still going. I just can't imagine any generic, universal-length, non-purpose-built part comparing to the quality of Japanese OEM. To each their own.

Finally ordered the parts. I ordered them off megazip.net
Here are the part numbers I ordered. These are new parts and not rebuild kits:

Master Cyl - 31410-60400 $180.23
Master Cyl gasket - 31415-60020 $1.68
Clutch Release (slave cyl) - 31470-60171 $94.48

These are all shipping out of a warehouse in Japan. $36 shipping (for 2-6 days) and there was a coupon code for 10% off. $307 total. Estimated deliver Nov. 3rd-11th.

This site has all sorts of parts with good diagrams. The bolt configuration in their image looks like it's correct. I'll report back once I get the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom