Clutch Stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My slave cylinder leaks, and I believe that 9it got a little air in it and is now stuck. Hint: 3000 rpm's and only going 15 miles an hour in 4th. Will a rebuild kit for my slave be sufficient or will I need a whole new one?

I would verify what is really going on with the hydraulic system. It is possible that the acctuation rod has bound up, and will not allow the clutch fork to release the clutch.

Good luck!

-Steve

I would think that if the leaky cylinder would cause the clutch not to disengage so that it would be stuck in the engaged position. I would look as poser described and see if the forks are not engaging. Before you go pulling it all apart make sure you have the adjuster set all the way as it may just need some TLC as mine did. A few turns of a screw is alot better than rebuild o' anything.

Latter model 60 series do not have an adjustable slave cylinder acctuation rod, as the earlier 60's did.

-Steve

It is stuck to where I can go through all the gears while it is running without pressing the clutch pedal. I got a new slave cylinder and put it on yesterday, and that didn't do anything, i am going to bleed it a little better, but i don't think that is going to work either. Think i need to open it up and check the clutch???

I would remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the flywheel housing, and see what is going on. Sounds to me like something is bound up. Did you notice that the shift fork was loose when you swapped out the slave? Make sure that the little throw out bearing retaining clips have not broke and that your throw out bearing is not wedged between the input shaft and the clutch assembly some how.

Good luck!

-Steve

The shift fork was stuck, wouldn't move more than a quarter of an inch, i had to compress the slave cylinder by hand to get it into place(that was a pisser).

So, does it work properly now?

What caused the fork to get hanged up?

-Steve

[quote author=BigRed87 link=board=1;threadid=10611;start=msg96453#msg96453 date=1075322082]
The shift fork was stuck, wouldn't move more than a quarter of an inch, i had to compress the slave cylinder by hand to get it into place(that was a pisser).
[/quote]

Sounds normal to me. You'll never disengage the clutch by pushing on the fork with your hands. And the slave is normally compressed until you step on the clutch.

I'm betting you have to replace the clutch.

Do like Poser says and watch what happens when someone steps on the clutch!

cheers,
t

I took the clutch cover off, it moves, but while it is running i can go through all of the gears without depressing the clutch pedal.
Can I use a new stock clutch assembly for a SBC? or do i need a special V-8 assembly, they are all the same size.

Is the t-case locked in high or low range?

So you have a V8, you will need to measure the diameter of the clutch disc/plate, if you do not know exactly what you have. IIRC Chev has a couple different clutch assemblies that could be used...

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10611;start=msg97217#msg97217 date=1075525459]
Is the t-case locked in high or low range?
[/quote]That's a funny thought. T-case in neutral won't go very far.
So you have a V8, you will need to measure the diameter of the clutch disc/plate, if you do not know exactly what you have. IIRC Chev has a couple different clutch assemblies that could be used...
There is a few different sizes and types so measuring is required when it's a PO mod. I'm using chev parts but if you can afford it the centerforce is one tough SOB.

The t-case is in 2 High, and I don't have the V-8 yet, I wanted to know that if I got an all new clutch for my 2f right now, if I could use it when I got my V-8?

Oh yeah, and before it finally gave up, if I hit the gas, it would rev up like an auto in gear, if that tells ya anything.

[quote author=BigRed87 link=board=1;threadid=10611;start=msg97328#msg97328 date=1075566671]
Oh yeah, and before it finally gave up, if I hit the gas, it would rev up like an auto in gear, if that tells ya anything.
[/quote]
One thing...smoked clutch...did you smell it...sorta like fryed truck brakes... 8)

Yeah, will i need an all new assembly, or just a new plate or something?

You're supposed to change the disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and have the flywheel resurfaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom