Clutch slave cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My clutch slave cylinder rod broke on my 1980 FJ40. I think it broke because the rod is not aligned with the slave cylinder and after years of pushing in a slightly off angle - it broke. My old clutch slave and rod is 6.5" or 165mm length (see pic). I ordered a new clutch slave cylinder and the rod is shorter - only 4", which causes the internal cylinder "pop" out under pressure when I bleed the system (see pic). Does anyone know where or what serial number of clutch slave cylinder rod to buy? No place describes the length of their rods.
*By the way, does anyone know how to align the cylinder and rod?
Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.

IMG_4414.jpeg
IMG_4295.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest making one. Cut the end off of a properly sized bolt and round off the cut end.

Thanks for your quick response. I was going to do that, but I wasn't sure if that part was something I could just gerry-rig or if bore size, specifications, etc matters?

The rod itself is NLA from Toyota, but the clutch slave cylinder with rod (Part Number 31470-60071) is still available. Did you order an aftermarket slave cylinder?

I have a rod in very good condition from a '78 FJ40, same part number. It's about the same length as yours (6-1/4") but looks a little different. I believe it's OEM. PM me your address and I'll mail it off tomorrow.

Damn! I asked a variety of sites for help, and FJ Parts told me the part, which i just ordered. Rod, Clutch Slave Cylinder, 75-80 FJ40 45 55
I should be good, but if not, I will definitely PM you. Thanks for your help!
*By the way, do you have any ideas on lining up the rod and cylinder or do you think that's something I'm just going to have to gerry-rig?

Aisin hydraulics still makes them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom