clutch/overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes the po had put an overdrive unit in and I don't think he got to use It and I have no instuctions on It so I'm assuming it's In right but I don't know,and I'm wondering ifthat is why my clutch won't work I pulled the engine and installed It and pulled it again tonight I've pulled the bastard out more in a couple of days then most cars ever,the unit goes on the back anyone with any ideas I'm running out quick :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can you elaborate a little, what exactly is it not doing, enguaging, disenguaging, slipping etc.

Ihave not looked to see what brand of overdrive I no the bastard bolts on the back.The clutch is engaged all the time when you push the pedal while its in gear makes no difference

If you can't feel any resistance in the clutch pedal throughout its stroke, you have a problem with the hydraulic linkage that needs to be fixed first.

If you feel ressitance at the bottom of the pedal, but the clutch doesn't release, you need to adjust the clutch linkage by lengthening the rod between the slave cylinder and the fork.

Oh yea there is pedal restance and Iv'e adjusted the rod so I have about a 1/4" free play at the tranny. I'm about to fly woody up to washington and have him look at it Ive put in a lot of clutchs and this is the worst thats why now I'm thinking they hooked up the od wrong I just don't know thanks pinhead

1/4" is too much play....should be tighter IMO...also make sure you have a return spring on the clutch arm or it may not reseat the slave cylinder plunger all the way. Bleed/rebleed the hydraulic lines...might even flush to ensure no air or water in them. Check play at the master cylinder side too, should start to push fluid almost immediately. Check for fluid leaks on both sides of the firewall, sign of bad master (wet toes - lol).

I had a similar problem once. It seemed like the clutch stayed engaged, but everything seemed to be working OK. There was some rust on the transmission input shaft splines, and the clutch wouldn't slide on them enough to slip. Pull the inspection cover off the bottom of the bell housing, and have someone push in the clutch pedal while you watch it from underneath (engine off!) That way you can see if the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate fingers, and if the clutch disk moves. The other problem could be a seized pilot bearing in the crankshaft. That would keep the trans input shaft from spinning freely from the crank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom