Clutch master/slave revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, the search function works. I've been on this forum for many years. I just can't find the answer I need.
Some background: rig is 72 with sbc stroker, NV4500 with Centerforce clutch, built around 2005.

I've been real happy with my 40, but, fast forward. In 2014 I had a stroke which left me handicapped on my left side. Needless to say this presents a problem with my manual xmission as my pedal is stiff. It is extremely tiring to drive, but I'm not ready to give it up, yet! As an aside, when I pulled it out of the shop for the first time in two years, my neighbors lined up wanting first dibs on buying it. Not yet!

What I'm looking for is a master/slave combo that may (or may not) give me a little softer pedal feel. I've looked at all the posts related to this. Lots of info on bore diameters and so on, but nothing on how it relates pedal feel. I'm hoping someone has maybe been down this path an found a solution that works. Then I'll see if it works for me!

Since I have a Centerforce clutch, there is only so much adjustment or you are out of the 'sweet spot', but pedal feel is unchanged unless I'm ready to change some of the geometry or parts. I guess that is where I am. Correct me if I'm wrong,but smaller master bore with corresponding larger slave would in theory provide a softer pedal. What worries me is the loss of stroke on the slave cylinder.

Question: does anyone have a recommendation for a master/slave combo?

1974 master Cylinder and slave. They seem to be a good combination that give lighter pedal with enough stroke.

You’ll also want to consider a 70 series vacuum assist clutch master... or a pneumatic ram to push the clutch.

hI have 2 with sbc. One is early 350 hp 12" truck clutch lc master, slave very easy pusg. Other is lt1 gm shave internal to bell housing. Idk mm of piston very easy also. Much more than enough travel think earlier master is 13/16 .Later 3/4". I use 3/4. My stock 79 I adjusted pedal uooyr stop way down to about 2/3 travel along vwith corresponding pushrod adj and slave to end with very little free play. Worked fine. I had a bad hip and couldn't raise my leg and had to plow snow requiring lots of clutch work. I just had to keep a close eye on adjustment.

hI have 2 with sbc. One is early 350 hp 12" truck clutch lc master, slave very easy pusg. Other is lt1 gm shave internal to bell housing. Idk mm of piston very easy also. Much more than enough travel think earlier master is 13/16 .Later 3/4". I use 3/4. My stock 79 I adjusted pedal uooyr stop way down to about 2/3 travel along vwith corresponding pushrod adj and slave to end with very little free play. Worked fine. I had a bad hip and couldn't raise my leg and had to plow snow requiring lots of clutch work. I just had to keep a close eye on adjustment.
Thanks Howard705! Then you know what I mean! I'll give your suggestions a shot. I called the local stealership about a master /slave combo and they were no help. With all the various Land Cruisers in the area you'd think they'd be more help. Thank God there is the Mud Forum! Gonner see if I can source a '74 m/s. I looked at an internal slave a few years ago (big $$$), but that was before there was an LT1. GM part is probably less expensive anyway. I don't want to drop the tranny if there is another way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom