Replacement for clutch master > slave hard line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
1978 FJ40.

Options are:
Bend up a custom hard line.
Source and replace with soft line.
Source and replace with hard line.

Are stock hard lines still available?
Does anyone make a hard line replacement?
Are the soft line replacements I've seen a good or bad idea?

Thanks all,

Mark

Last edited:
What year? I think the early "weird" size is mia. The later ones that are a more normal size are easy to duplicate.

Always a good idea to specify the year when asking for help. My 72/40sat for like 12 years with a bad slave - I had a kit; then I got sick.

A few weeks ago I started working on Elsie. The bleed screw was frozen bad - I was sure it would snap as it didn't respond to any tricks or treatments. I googled around and found a new master, slave, and braided stainless steel hose for like $160 on ebay. The hose is like 2' longer than necessary; it was $50 more to get the correct length. i just have a large loop in the line. Use one of the copper gaskets at the slave and screw on the hose. Route the hose install the slave. Put on the new master with your old fork. I long ago cut a slotted screw driver slot in the bolt that is behind the brake booster to make it way easier to R/R.

The old master was rusted too - the retaining clip was rusted away - good thing I got the whole system. I still have the hard line and hose which are OEM.

I got a new soft line from @cruiseroutfit. No complaints. Fit perfectly.
Are you talking about the short soft line that goes into the slave? I'm talking about the longer hard line from the master to the junction to the soft line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom