clutch master and slave R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 fj40 which has been having a clutch issue. It's getting air in the lines somewhere. Anyway, I got sick of bleeding it all the time so I bought new lines, slave and master. I have never swapped the master before, looks pretty straight forward: Disconnect at the pedal, remove 3 bolts and pull. My question is once I put all this back in, will bleeding the whole system at the slave be sufficiant? Is there anything I should do prior to swapping all this out? I figured I would replace the lines because those fittings look pretty corroded and since I don't know exactly what is causing air to get in, I would be better off replacing it all (needs it anyway).

Any input would be appreciated. :dunno:

hope this helps. Bleeding at the slave is the only place to get the air out of the lines. When you get everything back in place and connected(be sure no cross threading occurs)(I use an anti-seize compound on all connections and bolts, it makes getting everything easier to undo or bleed) fill resevoir with fluid, back off bleed valve on clutch slave(release)cylinder, pump clutch pedal slowly and release slowly. when only brake fluid comes out your done, retighten bleeder valve. Bingo!

You can do a bench bleed of the master, but you can easily bleed air from the system at the slave. The same cannot be said for the brakes :).

I just replaced all my master cylinders (dual pedal/3masters) and the clutch slave. Ever try to gravity bleed a hydraulic system?

Get a piece of vacumm hose and a coffee can. Connect the hose to the bleeder and open it up a 1/2 turn or so. Fill master to the top and keep an eye on the level. If it runs dry you have to start over. Gravity will force the fluid into the slave and displace the air. Once you see a steady flow of fluid, shut the bleeder and let it sit. Go back later and repeat process.

I bled all for corners of my brake system this way after replacing/replumbing the whole system. No need for pumping the pedal at all. This is how you get stuff done with NO helpers handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom