Club tools idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume this is meant to be a list of the more specific and pricey tools that most people wouldnt have in their tool kit.

1. Gear puller/splitter set
  2. Trans jack
  3. 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches (only issue here is they need to be calibrated if dropped...so everyone would need to be honest if they dropped it)

I think this something that could be explored more once the bank account is fatter.

:hmm:

Morning all,

I think it would be a cool idea to have a set of "club tools" that we can loan to club members. I have seen other clubs do this with the knuckle alignment SST.

Let's make a list of tools and maybe we can come up with a plan!

1. Knuckle alignment SST - $421 from Marlin
When you say knuckle alignment SST, are you talking about a cut and turn axle job, or a wheel alignment?

When you say knuckle alignment SST, are you talking about a cut and turn axle job, or a wheel alignment?

neither
it's the tool to use to get the knuckle centered back on the axle housing. the alternative method is just to reuse the old shims in the same locations they were in.

3/4" Torque Wrench 300 ft pounds good enough for balancer bolt. Also 3/4" impact sockets and 3/4" breaker bar.

neither
it's the tool to use to get the knuckle centered back on the axle housing. the alternative method is just to reuse the old shims in the same locations they were in.
Roger that.
Or use Marlin axle seals and hope for the best.

In case someone uses these HF Jack Stands. They have been recalled.

Jack-Stand-Recall-56371_61196_61197.png

^^^ Thank You for the heads up on these. I just put the LX up on all 4 corners on these today trying to chase down a squeal when braking.

One tool that is hard to find is the proper puller to remove the countershaft bearings on a Toyota 4 speed transmission. While I was still working I had made a nice set of custom puller arms that were perfect for this, but, alas, I neglected to bring them home when I retired. Never was able to have any of my cronies turn them up. Bummer.
Last week on my way to see my daughter in Richmond, I stopped in to say hello to Ryan and the boys at OTRAMM. Always interesting to see what they're up to at any given time. Lo and behold I saw a cool different looking puller on his shelf. Asked him what it was for and of course it was the ideal tool for removing the aforementioned bearings. The ends of the puller legs are ground to a sharp edge that allows them to nestle into the groove in the outside diameter of the bearing, the groove that holds the retaining ring. Ingenious. I had to have one. Not cheap, almost $200 but to be able to pull those bearings without fighting it's worth it. It's a Posi-Lok 1TMPG. I never saw such a design in several areas- the ground edge especially, but the ingenious way they keep the puller arms from popping out is awesome. I bought mine from a company named ZORO, found it on eBay.
The knuckle alignment tool is a great idea. To use this tool accurately you first need to read through the instructions and understand just what they're trying to accomplish. It takes some time to dial in your shim pack using this tool, at least that's what I found when I used one. I had one but sold it a few years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom