Clicking Glow Plug Relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 86 HJ60 manufactured in Canada. My 24v glow plug relay is clicking (loud chattering) for about 8 seconds when I move the key to the pre-heat position. I checked the voltage coming from my battery with a meter and it’s a sold 24v.
1. Is the relay toasted?
2. If yes can I replace it with a aftermarket 24v relay?
3. Can I bypass the relay?

93AC527B-E819-4B62-BFA9-63FA9CE523B2.jpeg

I’ve read about installing a Wilson Switch, but that seems to address the the timer.

How should I proceed?

5E24063D-C860-4CF2-ADAF-CA4DCC8BD739.jpeg

The two thin wires will be the trigger wires.. temporarily unplug it and put an earth on one wire and 24V+ on the other wire, the relay should click on and stay on.. this will confirm operation of the relay itself for you.

To expand on duncanrm's answer:
  1. Test as duncanrm suggests. If it latches solidly with power applied, then the relay is good and you have another issue.
  2. Any 24V relay with similar ratings could be used. Just make sure that it has the amperage rating required - you're passing a fair amount of current to the glow plugs.
  3. See #2 - trying to pass that current directly through the switch instead of a relay isn't a good idea.

@PAToyota what switch are you referencing?

This is the solenoid I'm looking at. 24v 200amp. I'm not sure how to wire it up,

I'm thinking about installing a Wilson switch too.

Solenoid pic.jpg

Attachments

• Napa 24v Solenod.pdf
    192.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Pins 2 and 3 in your diagram are your trigger wires for the relay.. so one side should be connected to earth and one side should be switched to 24V+ via a momentary push switch in your cab.
  • Pin 1 should be connected with a big fat wire to 24v+
  • Pin 4 will be connected to your glow plugs
Appropriate fusing etc needs to be considered:
  • 10A on your switch circuit would probably be on the high side
  • Many glow plug feeds are not fused at all

Last edited:
Exultant information, thank both of you.

1. What gauge wire should should I use form 24v battery terminal > solenoid > solenoid > glow plugs?
2. Should I use a inline fuse 24v battery terminal > solenoid?
3. If yes, what amp?
4. What gauge wire should I use for my switch circuit?

Are those connections tight, or is it possible they are arcing? In your pic above, the connection looks loose, could be an illusion, or maybe you'd had it apart or something?

@PAToyota what switch are you referencing?

You mentioned bypassing the relay, so I assumed you meant just using the switch that controls the relay. Or did you mean bypass the relay with a new relay?

If the relay is working.. your Wilson switch can drive the relay.. I've done this on my HJ60. Wilson switch is activating the factory glow relay.

As fare as I can tell I think my HJ60 H2 has a super glow system. Please correct me if I’m wrong. When I replaced my plugs 2 years ago the plugs I removed were 14v. The new plugs helped but the 2H has always been difficult to start in cold weather.
5B536811-7DB2-4261-9E49-BDC721E11A53.jpeg

I did consider adding a push button switch, replacing the relay and using the stock system, Ibut I can’t find the #2 glow plug relay
C8E01095-B8BC-4703-A815-59A0918BE924.jpeg

I did find 2 empty plugs 1 male & 1 female. The wires are to short to plug into each other. Should I have a #2 glow plug relay here?
3CDEECEC-85C9-4BFA-A3CB-68FD54EBD7CF.jpeg

7DE586FD-5131-4075-A86C-0A8F7C171F75.jpeg

Any thoughts?

Hey Wharfrat- I've got the exact same truck as you. I'd suggest that a chattering solenoid is probably not dying, but is just not getting enough power.

First thing to check is the fusible links from the high side battery positive pole. One of them goes to the glow system and I'm willing to bet that the connectors are a bit corroded. Put your multimeter on the solenoid input itself and see what the voltage reads. Also clean the connectors on the solenoid itself.

Second thing is that "a solid 24 volts" may not be good enough. A fully charged 24 volt system should be at about 25 ½ volts. Your batteries might be going a bit flat.
Yes, you have a super glow system with 14 Volt plugs. Installing a wilson switch means replacing your plugs with higher voltage plugs.
I would try to fix your current system before a Wilson switch, but I'm a bit of an outlier on this forum- I like the super-glow system and think that everyone is a little over-eager to get rid of it. Definitely put a wilson in if you break some expensive Glow system parts- but if they are all there and working, i would suggest you spend some time cleaning connections and getting the voltage back up.

The plugs in your hand in the above photo are mystery plugs to me- but mine are also disconnected and always have been. Never bothered to figure out what they are... some option that neither of us have, evidently...

Check simple things first. Battery terminals dudes! Bad grounds dudes! Lets not re-invent the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom