Cleaning Throttle body fix high start up idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Another thread had morphed into touching on this subject but I thought I'd post it directly as it sounds like a few folks have had great success as a result of cleaning the throttle body. So, for a :banana: guy like myself, can anyone explain how to do this on a FZJ? Pics?
thanks,
Jason

Also- Has anyone considered that the high rpm start up/idle could be the root cause of the notorious 80 series driveline clunk? i.e. the Higher the RPM's when it is put into gear the more stress is put on the driveline, thereby creating more play in the driveline components, eventually leading to the clunk being present even at normal idle? By all means, slap me if it sounds impossible. (ducking now).

I removed the throttle body and cables last week to access the vsv and then replaced them with basically no attempt to clean it (it looked clear at the time) or adjust the cables. Afterwards my startiup idle has dropped from 1800 to 1500rpm. Go figure.

It's a 1.5 banana job. The 2 bolts underneath the throttle body attached to the intake chamber sit in a guide so they are not hard to rethread after you remove them (so don't worry). I removed the cables after I got the throttle body off as it is easier to access them then. I only removed the front coolant pipe not the rear and had almost no coolant leakage.

I did not remove the throttle body. I only removed the air intake tube (be sure not to crack it), and followed the instructions on the Throttle Body Cleaner. I used the NAPA brand.

It brought my persistant high idle start from a sustained 1800-2000 rpm's down to 1400-1200 during the warm-up period.

Steve 94'

is the throttle body gasket reusable? I would like to pull mine off today to clean it and do the o-ring trick on the idle air valve, if I need parts it will have to wait

the revving at start before oil pressure gets to the parts is bad for the engine

Since this is so common of a question, how about if someone posts some pics? Maybe even just to identify the throttle body and the two bolts' locations. Could also be refernced in the VSV posts then too.

[quote author=RavenTai link=board=2;threadid=12430;start=msg128215#msg128215 date=1080478745]
is the throttle body gasket reusable? I would like to pull mine off today to clean it and do the o-ring trick on the idle air valve, if I need parts it will have to wait

the revving at start before oil pressure gets to the parts is bad for the engine
[/quote]

You don't need to pull the TB in order to do the O-ring IAC trick...just unscrew the two phillips-heaad screws holding it onto the TB and it comes right off. A 0.1 :banana: job.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom