Clarification on Toyota Coolant [Pink and Red] (2021) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

closing this chapter:

Just to clarify to all for those who wish to remain in the red coolant category:

Super Long Life Coolant - Toyota ( 00272-SLLC2 ) (Also says "pink" on the label) is not the same as Red Toyota Antifreeze Coolant (1 Gallon) - Toyota (00272-1LLAC-01)

The latter, toyota red, is designed for the older toyota models and must be mixed with distilled water (either 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30).

I’ve read more water means (the 70%) is better cooling at cooling with (30% antifreeze) as water is better at transferring heat. Readers should do their own research on this topic. I will be going with the boring 50/50 mix.

math.gif

Last edited:
closing this chapter:

Just to clarify to all for those who wish to remain in the red coolant category:

Super Long Life Coolant - Toyota ( 00272-SLLC2 ) (Also says "pink" on the label) is not the same as Red Toyota Antifreeze Coolant (1 Gallon) - Toyota (00272-1LLAC-01)

The latter, toyota red, is designed for the older toyota models and must be mixed with distilled water (either 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30). More water means better cooling as water is better at handling heat.

View attachment 2691406
Thank you for posting this.

I would like to see your support of this comment though:

"More water means better cooling as water is better at handling heat."

That would insinuate that just water would cool better than water mixed with coolant, and that is certainly NOT true.

Thank you for posting this.

I would like to see your support of this comment though:

"More water means better cooling as water is better at handling heat."

That would insinuate that just water would cool better than water mixed with coolant, and that is certainly NOT true.

Specific heat of water: 4.2 j/g C
Specific heat of etheleyne glycol: 2.433 j/g C

Pretty big difference between the two. Straight water certainly WILL cool better.

This is why NHRA race cars along with others run pure water.

Here is an interesting article on the subject.

Glycol Or Water - Which Is The Better Coolant? - Hot Rod Magazine - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/glycol-or-water-coolant/

That being said coolant is also important because it inhibits corrosion and extends the life of a cooling system, not to mention the whole freezing issue.

This is why NHRA race cars along with others run pure water.

That one needs a little clarification.
They run straight water because race cars crash, and when they dump their coolant system on the track its a whole lot better for everyone involved if it's
A) Non-toxic,
B) Not slippery, and
C) Non-flammable.

Closed: Pink is not the same as Red. If you do choose to go with Red, make sure you know how to mix it properly, account for the distilled water still inside the cooling system from the repeat flush and then. Red is a premium option as the green is cheaper and much more common option. I am going with red since its done me 27 years of service.

Here is a pic of me doing my calculations for how much water/coolant and measuring how much distilled water is still in the system:
View attachment 2691423

Hey y’all so I’m here going through my cooking cooling system and doing some base line. I have been flushing it out with distilled water (on flush #3) and I need someone to just give me a quick sanity check. I was able to get the Toyota red (undiluted) which I plan to mix myself. I calculate how much distilled water remains in the system once I drain but the question is on the coolant itself. I have this 50/50 which I was told is Toyota red but it says pink on the bottle. I really don’t trust the order takers at the parts counter. (Remember the Toyota service technician that told me the factory lockers were “after market”🤯)

can someone confirm I’m good with using this and the “pink” is really Toyota red and turned pink with the 50% water plus 50% Toyota red?
Thanks y’all

View attachment 2689034

View attachment 2689035

View attachment 2689036

View attachment 2689037
Quality thread. Use the Red stuff folks.

Ive found from years of experience working on customers cars that no matter what coolant you run (red, pink, or green) the most IMPORTANT thing to remember is to stay on top of your cooling system maintenance. If you follow the FSM reccommendations on how often to flush, and change your coolant (and stick to that maintenance schedule) you'll get years of trouble free service out of your cooling system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom