christmas present OBD scan tool? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
alright i have a 1996 lx450 iv heard allot about you guys using your scan tools to pull up codes and stuff and i think that would be really handy to have since i seem to have a check engine light go off every month or so for some reason or another. Im not to familiar with the tools, so what's the cheapest, easiest, best all around one out there to ask for for christmas? how exactly do they work? are they hard to use?
thanks guys
mike

I have the ~$120 one from Checkers/Kragen or whatever you want to call them. I'm at work so I don't recall the brand or model it is, but for a scan tool I think seems to be the fair tradeoff between the cheap POS ones and the "I do this for a living and I need the best" models like Snap-On or equivalents.

It does all the OBD2 genaric codes and I'm guessing most if not all Toyota specific ones. I kept getting my CE light and this thing never was stumped by whatever the code box in my truck was telling it.

I'll post the brand when I get home tomorrow if you want.

LX-Mikey,
I know you hate doing searches and prefer for others to spoon feed you, but if you're serious then search the archives here and on Keep's SOR archives as there are several comprehensive threads discussing the pros and cons of "code readers" vs "scan tools". Sample screen shots, prices, various models others have purchased, etc.
-B-

[move][glow=red,2,300]psssst, try the SEARCH button[/glow][/move]

Type OBD into the Search! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :slap:

Mine's a Innova 3100.

I was told the $50 Harbor Freight one will do both reading and resetting.
HTH
Eric
edit: just checked. It's now $40 and the manual is on the HF site.

I say either go cheap and just get something that will give you the code and the plain bob of what it means, or go the expensive route and get something that lets you run diagnostics. Anything in between to me is a waste, but what the frick do I know. :flipoff2:

in my endless struggle to fight for good and against mechanical evils of all sorts, I went out and bought said reader to investigate its foibles and duly report its proclivities to the Forum.
Will let you know.
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom