Christened the LC today (with a k-rail) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have better tires on the way, but decided to come down the mountain and drive the cruiser on the worn BFGs (sorry BFG lovers, all terrains suck in the snow once they're half gone). Unfortunately I hit a slick spot and just barely managed to turn the cruiser before giving a K-Rail a love tap. Bull bar up front got a scrape and the quarter panel behind the rear driver side door got some love. Rear bumper pushed in a bit, the tire stopped the damage at that point.

I'll say that most stock cars would probably have been totaled - the height of the LC and the bull bar kept the damage down. I think I can push the body back out but will probably want to find another door sometime.

Mostly I'm just a bit pissed, but I'll take a scrape and a dent over rolling into a mountain creek any day. Clearly, now I have to buy a new rear bumper. :)

Yeah, I really should have waited until I got the new tires on. Body damage was minimal, so I guess I'll keep my eyes out for a door. Meanwhile, I guess I can tell my wife I want a bumper kit for christmas.

Any pics of the damages?

Definitely post pics. Door might not be bad enough to necessitate new door. Had some good luck pulling dents with the paintless dent pullers.

Looking the the pics, I'm also seeing where the bumper pushed up into the fender as well.

arb.jpg

backdoor.jpg

rear.jpg

Dude that seriously looks like NOTHING. Expected so much more from a k-rail kiss. I would wash the truck to give yourself a better understanding of what is going on then go from there. That door dent honestly is something that will probably buff out on the door itself and that small side rail/step piece is damaged but depending on what material it is you may be able to salvage.

So I have better tires on the way, but decided to come down the mountain and drive the cruiser on the worn BFGs (sorry BFG lovers, all terrains suck in the snow once they're half gone). Unfortunately I hit a slick spot and just barely managed to turn the cruiser before giving a K-Rail a love tap. Bull bar up front got a scrape and the quarter panel behind the rear driver side door got some love. Rear bumper pushed in a bit, the tire stopped the damage at that point.

I'll say that most stock cars would probably have been totaled - the height of the LC and the bull bar kept the damage down. I think I can push the body back out but will probably want to find another door sometime.

Mostly I'm just a bit pissed, but I'll take a scrape and a dent over rolling into a mountain creek any day. Clearly, now I have to buy a new rear bumper. :)

As a BFG lover myself, they are not good in the snow, even when brand new. They're just too hard a compound. I run KO2 in the spring/summer/fall and dedicated snow tires in the winter.

Looks like OP is running older and worn first- gen KO's. Thankfully damage looks minor.

The damage really is just a love tap on the whole truck (and my pride). Alignment is a bit out of wack now but I'll be redoing that in a week or two after I toss on the new lift bits. The steering wheel is now off to the right a bit, but the truck tracks well.

I will be eyeballing the accordion bits that the ARB is mounted to, it looks to have turned up just a bit during the impact and settled back down after. I'll also take a hard look at all suspension parts in case they bent a bit, but considering the minor body damage they are likely ok.

Looks like that ARB did its job. How many miles on those KO2's - they look pretty well worn.

As a BFG lover myself, they are not good in the snow, even when brand new. They're just too hard a compound. I run KO2 in the spring/summer/fall and dedicated snow tires in the winter.
I keep seeing people dis on KO2s in the snow, and frankly, I’m perplexed. I grew up in upstate NY driving 2wd cars with street tires, for context. So I’m used to bad traction issues. Also, I work for a Front Range Colorado municipality that runs KO2s on most of our pickups (1/2 t to heavy cab and chassis duals) including plowing responsibilities. I bought my LX with Blizzaks and swapped them out for used KO2s due to wear rate. And I am consistently impressed with how the KO2s perform in snow. In fact, the only sketch I’ve experienced was after freezing rain and hard freezing afterwards. Now, due to fuel economy I’m admittedly light on the throttle. Are you all not adjusting your driving style for conditions? I really don’t understand the dynamic here?

IMO I've found that KOs aren't the worst tire in the snow, but they absolutely get worse as they wear - the rubber is harder as you go along. BFG MTs are espeically like that. That said, there are several better AT choices for snow. I found that the General AT2 and ATX are excellent, and this year I've been putting Falken Wildpeaks on... well everything except my car. All three of those are also snow rated, unlike the BFG options.

I can confidently say if my new tires (which just arrived by UPS two days early) were on the truck, I wouldn't have damage on the truck today.
To be truly fair, only studs will help on ice (which you can add to the AT2/ATX by the way) but for non-studded I'm very happy with the wildpeaks especially for the price. My new set of 305s cost me $150/ea from amazon. Equivalent BFGs were 225 each when I priced the other day.

IMO I've found that KOs aren't the worst tire in the snow, but they absolutely get worse as they wear - the rubber is harder as you go along. BFG MTs are espeically like that. That said, there are several better AT choices for snow. I found that the General AT2 and ATX are excellent, and this year I've been putting Falken Wildpeaks on... well everything except my car. All three of those are also snow rated, unlike the BFG options.

I can confidently say if my new tires (which just arrived by UPS two days early) were on the truck, I wouldn't have damage on the truck today.
To be truly fair, only studs will help on ice (which you can add to the AT2/ATX by the way) but for non-studded I'm very happy with the wildpeaks especially for the price. My new set of 305s cost me $150/ea from amazon. Equivalent BFGs were 225 each when I priced the other day.
Actually, current KO2s are snow rated.

I keep seeing people dis on KO2s in the snow, and frankly, I’m perplexed. I grew up in upstate NY driving 2wd cars with street tires, for context. So I’m used to bad traction issues. Also, I work for a Front Range Colorado municipality that runs KO2s on most of our pickups (1/2 t to heavy cab and chassis duals) including plowing responsibilities. I bought my LX with Blizzaks and swapped them out for used KO2s due to wear rate. And I am consistently impressed with how the KO2s perform in snow. In fact, the only sketch I’ve experienced was after freezing rain and hard freezing afterwards. Now, due to fuel economy I’m admittedly light on the throttle. Are you all not adjusting your driving style for conditions? I really don’t understand the dynamic here?

The KO2s are fine for an all season tire, but they can't compete with dedicated snow tires. Have you driven your fleet vehicles with brand new snow tires compared to brand new KO2's? I think you'd see a significant difference. I experience the contrast every year as I swap my tires out normally after the first big snow or two. The KO2s just aren't as good as a dedicated snow tire.

My KO2's are also E tires so that doesn't help. Non-E load range would be more pliable I'm sure.

Actually, current KO2s are snow rated.

Yes, but the snow rating symbol just means they have the right compound mix to barely meet the minimum criteria. Due to recent chemistry changes in tire rubber (or perhaps the ratings system) more all-season tires have the snowflake. I haven't experienced an increase in performance though. There's still a big difference between dedicated snow tires and all-seasons, IMO.

The KO2s are fine for an all season tire, but they can't compete with dedicated snow tires. Have you driven your fleet vehicles with brand new snow tires compared to brand new KO2's? I think you'd see a significant difference. I experience the contrast every year as I swap my tires out normally after the first big snow or two. The KO2s just aren't as good as a dedicated snow tire.

My KO2's are also E tires so that doesn't help. Non-E load range would be more pliable I'm sure.

So what snow tires do you run @suprarx7nut? And do you run them off-road as well during the winter months?

When I bought my LC it also came with a set of Blizzaks. Great tires on-road, but not so much off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom