Chewed wire. Any thoughts on how bad the fix will be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the "Check VSC system", 4Lo flashing, check engine light" lights on the other morning. Had the error codes read. C1201 - ABS - Engine Control system malfunction. Also P0441 - Evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow. Found a nest under the hood and found this chewed wire, on drivers side. Anyone have an idea of how bad the fix is going to cost me? Any thoughts are appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving!

photo.jpg

Shouldn't cost you much. Disconnect your battery, disconnect both ends of damaged harness, remove the insulation, dress the wires with heat shrink/insulation/tape, add additional wire of like type/color if necessary, solder corresponding wires back together, and bobs yer uncle. Or, find the damaged components on Toyota parts diagram, whip out that credit card, and wait for the fedex guy. I know electrical seems like sorcery to most people but it's really just like plumbing if you isolate the power source (disconnect battery/shut off vehicle). Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Thanks. Brother in law is an electrician so he probably has a solder gun / wires I would need.

Tell him you need "machine tool wire" or MTW. It's flexible and easy to work with. It will match the look and feel of the factory wires as well as solder well. Post up some pics when you're done

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

whoa once done try a mixture of tabasco hot sauce and water in a spray bottle and wet the area to prevent them from returning. This is a very common problem here (south new jersey). Last winter had a discussion with my lexus tech guy while he ad an entire fuel tank and assembly out due to similar infestation on a LS. This is what they use to prevent them from returning.

Yep easy fix, but btw what was in the nest

I believe it was a chipmunk or squirrel. Seen both around. Nest was made from grass clippings. I will try the tabasco sauce method. Need a taller entrance to my garage so I can get it in there with the ski box on.

Fixed it??

Ended up using 2 crimp connectors, didn't need any additional wire as they filled the gap. Codes are gone and haven't come back for a week now.

Funny story I was at the auto store getting connectors / crimping tool, wife and kids are b-bopping to tunes w/ the engine off and guess what? Dead battery. At least I was at the right place to get a new battery. Very cold day that day and battery only tested at 250 CCA's. It was the original battery in my 08'. Definitely want to do the dual battery upgrade at some point too.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom