chevy rear main seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
how hard is it to replace a chevy 2 piece rear main seal? any tips? i figure while i've got everything pulled apart to do the shift fork in the tcase, i may as well do the rear main that's been leaking worse and worse over the last two years.

its not that hard, pull the pan and the rear main cap and you should be able to pull the old seal out aroud the crank. needle nose pliers may help, clean the area best you can and you should be able to slide the new seal around the crank. and stagger the end of the seals halfes so that they dont line up were the cap meets the block (it helps to prevent future leaks) slightly offset so one end of the seal stikcs out of the block and the same on the cap, add a dab of sealer to the ends and torque to spec, i think its like 75 ft lbs. of course its always easier if the cranks pulled but can still be done, hope this helps and didnt confuse you. good luck!!

Pull the oil pump, the pump drive shaft will slide out to.Next take out the bolts holding the rear main.You gotta tap it with a deadblow to knock it loose.That side the seal just pops out,on the block you push out old one with the new one.Make shur the lip of the seal is faceing the right way.---it's the most important part---install the main ,torq it.line the shaft with distrib slot and oil pump slot run down bolt.

damn...what happened to the simple pull tranny, pull clutch/flywheel, pop out old seal, push in new seal, reinstall trans, clutch and flywheel?

nuclearlemon said:
damn...what happened to the simple pull tranny, pull clutch/flywheel, pop out old seal, push in new seal, reinstall trans, clutch and flywheel?

86 and up sbc are like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom