Chevy motor Questions 283, 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found an 73 FJ 40. It has a 283 chevrolet V8 in it now. I was wondering if the bell housing adapter that is on this setup right now would fit on to a 79 fj with the four speed tranny. Also what do you think about the 283v8 motor anyway. Is it a sibling of a 327 or a 350. And finally can this bell housing adapter fit a chevy 350?
All help is appreciated. This cruiser is priced right, so I want to act fast.

The Chev 283, 327 and 350 are all small block engines and almost all parts are interchangable. The 283 is just as good and durable as a 350, just a little less HP. If the 283 is good and you want more HP, there are plenty of upgrades such as power pack heads, dual exhaust, Eldebrock intake with Holly carb.

If the Cruiser is priced right, buy it anyway and worry about the details later.

Well, the 3-speed adaptor that Advance Adaptors sells is a different P/N than the 4-speed adaptor. So there must be some difference.

There's nothing wrong with the 283. And it's the older brother of the 327 and 350. It will be a bit easier on fuel and will put out less power (if set up similarly). I have a 350 in mine, and enjoy the extra power. But I do wish I could wring some better mileage out of it.

Are you looking at swapping the engine and transmission/transfer into a 79? Or are you just wanting to put a 79 vintage 4-speed into this 73? If I had a blank slate, I'd go with a 700R4 behind a smallblock.

I'd suggest buying the Cruier, and then getting a Land Cruiser catalog from Advance Adaptors http://www.advanceadapters.com/ to see what your options are. This catalog is well worth the money.

Here's a link to the Landcruiser bellhousing adaptors:
https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/c...gory.jsp?category_id=1449&czuid=1167348586790

thanks for your help, I am on my way to pick it up. 200 bucks for the whole shooting match. Plus the 283 has a functioning holley carb and a decent intake. I do not want the three speed tranny, but for the price. I can trade and swap for what I really need. Anyone need parts?

See here is my dilema, I have a 77 a 79 and now a 73 fj40. They are all in various states. My plan is to put the V8 into the 79 with the four speed and scraping the remainder of the parts. Nowhere to store a fourth cruiser. Oh the fourth is an 83 fj60 that is in need of a V8

that sounds like a bargain!
I had a 283 back in highschool after the 427 got me into too much trouble:)
Excellent engine, GM had them in many vehicles and revs like a bugger cause it has a shorter stroke than the 327/350's I believe.

I personally like the idea of the 283. As far as bolting up, Melloj123 has it right, any small block will bolt to the bell housing. I would guess 3 sp vs 4 sp, Brian is correct, if the part numbers are different, the converter must be different, but I do not personally know that for sure. GL

Pete

I don't know how to post links to past posts, but, if you go to advanced search and put in the title " Bellhousing-SBC to Toy Tranny " and clic search title only a thread where I asked about the difference between 3 and 4 speed Toy bellhousings will come up. The second post (from Mr Manny)in that thread has a link to a pic of a 4 speed bellhousing. My 3 speed bellhousing has a round opening for the tranny to bolt up to. Hope this is of some help,to you.

My 1st Cruiser had a 283 in it, it will work good with the 4.11's as they like to rev. You'll give up some bottom end torqe, but gain in the gas mpg dept. NOT a bad motor at all. Maybe that with an SM420 4spd for some off road gear reduction/keeping the motor rev'd up a bit? Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom