Check VSC System Error - Fuel in Charcoal Canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EDIT: PICTURES WOULD NOT UPLOAD ORIGINALLY AND EDITOR DOES NOT ALLOW ADDING PICTURES AFTER THE FACT. SCROLL DOWN THREE POSTS TO SEE THIS REPOSTED WITH PHOTOS.

To confirm my self diagnosis mentioned above I took this to a local Toyota dealer and had it scanned. The results were exactly as I had thought and I was quoted just shy of $1,400 to repair. I told the dealer I would replace the parts myself and the service rep gladly gave me the two part numbers needed for the replacement of the Vapor Canister (77740-60470) and the Vapor Filter (77706-60040). These parts are hard to come by unless it is from an authorized Toyota parts dealer. The best price I found was from Toyotaonlineparts.com where the Canister was $579.43 (MSRP $876.97) and the Filter was $55.69 (MSRP $82.78).

I was a little worried about the difficulty in replacing these parts because I have yet to find a FSM for my 200 series like I have for the 80's and it seems that the people who own these tend not to work on them themselves. Nevertheless, I had a couple hours last Saturday so I jumped in and found this was quite possibly the easiest repair I have ever made on a vehicle (hopefully it works). Below is a step by step for anyone interested (took me about 45 mins working slowly).

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal (10mm wrench)
Step 2: Using the tools provided in the right tailgate storage drop the spare tire as shown in the owners manual (pg 463 i think).
Step 3: Unplug all the connections to the existing charcoal canister (I used a small flathead screwdriver for help) and remove three 12mm bolts that hold it in place (12mm socket).
Step 4: Unplug two connections to the vapor filter and remove one 12mm bolt holding the bracket. You could actually leave the bracket in place as I found out later because the bracket supplied with my new filter was not the same and would not work on my 2008. The filter is an updated part. Also save the rubber hose on the existing filter that connects to the filler neck area because the one supplied is too short.
Step 5: Install the new vapor filter matching the existing layout.
Step 6: Install the new charcoal canister matching existing layout.
Step 7: Reconnect hoses and electrical connection, install hose clamp.
Step 8: Reinstall the spare tire.
Step 9: Reconnect negative battery terminal (10mm)

To add photos after the fact...don't just click the Edit link.
-After you click the edit link...click "More Options..." button under the edit box.
-You can then drag photo files right into the message just like during original post. ;)

To confirm my self diagnosis mentioned above I took this to a local Toyota dealer and had it scanned. The results were exactly as I had thought and I was quoted just shy of $1,400 to repair. I told the dealer I would replace the parts myself and the service rep gladly gave me the two part numbers needed for the replacement of the Vapor Canister (77740-60470) and the Vapor Filter (77706-60040). These parts are hard to come by unless it is from an authorized Toyota parts dealer. The best price I found was from Toyotaonlineparts.com where the Canister was $579.43 (MSRP $876.97) and the Filter was $55.69 (MSRP $82.78).

I was a little worried about the difficulty in replacing these parts because I have yet to find a FSM for my 200 series like I have for the 80's and it seems that the people who own these tend not to work on them themselves. Nevertheless, I had a couple hours last Saturday so I jumped in and found this was quite possibly the easiest repair I have ever made on a vehicle (hopefully it works). Below is a step by step for anyone interested (took me about 45 mins working slowly).

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal (10mm wrench)
Step 2: Using the tools provided in the right tailgate storage drop the spare tire as shown in the owners manual (pg 463 i think).
View attachment 1209885

Step 3: Unplug all the connections to the existing charcoal canister (I used a small flathead screwdriver for help) and remove three 12mm bolts that hold it in place (12mm socket).

View attachment 1209886

Step 4: Unplug two connections to the vapor filter and remove one 12mm bolt holding the bracket. You could actually leave the bracket in place as I found out later because the bracket supplied with my new filter was not the same and would not work on my 2008. The filter is an updated part. Also save the rubber hose on the existing filter that connects to the filler neck area because the one supplied is too short.
View attachment 1209887

Step 5: Install the new vapor filter matching the existing layout.
View attachment 1209888

Step 6: Install the new charcoal canister matching existing layout.
View attachment 1209890

Step 7: Reconnect hoses and electrical connection, install hose clamp.
Step 8: Reinstall the spare tire.
Step 9: Reconnect negative battery terminal (10mm)
My dash just started lighting up like this over the last couple of weeks, wanted to check on how you’re fairing post canister / pump replacement.

Nice theory but this doesnt explain why the diesel gets the same error from time to time. It has no charcoal canister....
Can't speak to your error. We don't have the diesel option in the US. I'm sure the same sequence of warning lights can indicate many different things even on the gas engine driven vehicles. This thread was created to help solve a specific problem caused by overfilling a gasoline 200 series landcruiser and then having those warning lights. Feel free to give more details about your problem if you need help from the community in solving your problem. It may make the most sense to start your own thread though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom