Check under your rear wind deflector mounts for rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't recall, but they were very fine threads, maybe M6 x 1 x 25?? Pick up a few different sizes and see what fits (careful not to damage the threads of the nutsert). Be sure to use a thread sealer on the screws, IME water will get past the threads if not sealed.

Last edited:
I lost my bolts for the rear wind deflector, I want to put it back on now. Does anyone know what size machine screws I need?
Same here. Worse still, I bought a donor rear hatch for the glass, it was fully intact but very rusty, I lost those screws as well! Was going to take off the mounts from the donor and take to the hardware store to find appropriate sized screws.

Did you end up finding ones that fit? I'm going to try to get there tonight or tomorrow.

Reopening this thread...

Do ALL cruisers have the mounting holes for the deflector? My 1997 doesn't have a deflector but I picked one up from a mud member. I haven't had a chance to install it yet...

Thanks,

Reopening this thread...

Do ALL cruisers have the mounting holes for the deflector? My 1997 doesn't have a deflector but I picked one up from a mud member. I haven't had a chance to install it yet...

Thanks,
Only 80 series with the port installed rear deflector will have the necessary mounting holes. Consider yourself lucky you don’t have them.

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't want to drill holes into your hatch if they aren't there already.
The method used by the Port or Dealer to attach the dust deflector is a rust magnet. (Go back to page 1 and double check those photos)

If you're set on adding the rear wing you might try a double sided tape with a high sticky factor (lbs of force rating) to attach the mounting brackets to the hatch.

You could call 3M tech support for assistance in picking the right tape:

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't want to drill holes into your hatch if they aren't there already.
The method used to attach the dust deflector is a rust magnet. (Go back to page 1 and double check those photos)

If you're set on adding the rear wing you might try a double sided tape with a high sticky factor (lbs of force rating) to attach the mounting brackets to the hatch.

You could call 3M tech support for assistance in picking the right tape:

I just assumed that the ‘95 - ‘97 came stock with the deflector. And I checked, at least by running my hands across the top and checking the curved area of the hatch…no holes on my ‘97.

Damn.

I’ll check with 3M because I most certainly do not want to mess up with drilling holes. If I cant find a good enough adhesive, I’ll sell the deflector.

Thanks!

They all came from Japan without any mounting holes. All the rear hatch dust deflectors (and roof racks) were port or possibly dealer installed AFAIK. They drilled holes then pushed a nutsert into the sheet metal. Not the best method.

Last edited:
They all came from Japan without any mounting holes. All the rear hatch dust deflectors (and roof racks) were port or possibly dealer installed AFAIK. They drilled holes then pushed a nutsert into the sheet metal. Not the best method.
Mine has the roof rack…just no deflector. It’s not a huge deal.

I live in the Vancouver/Portland area and there’s not a ton of snow so it’s not going to do a whole bunch being there or not.

I mounted a rear lightbar to my rear wind deflector. Works great.

1660923676026.png

Last edited:
Dont have that on my 91..thank god!
It's just more aesthetically pleasing to me :)

But, after having the rig for seven years, it's also not a "Make or break" kinda thing...I just happen to wonder about it, bought one from another member figuring the holes would be there; thought maybe the PO removed it for whatever reason...had no idea that it actually might not have the holes in it.

I'm glad I have the roof rack though.

Another fastidious piece of 80 content by Kernal. :steer:

This is why I lol when I see casual claims of a "rust free!" 80 series in fs ads. If you have the factory spoiler and you've never touched it, 99% prob you have rust no matter where your 80 lived.

I had my rusty holes remediated by a pro body shop called C&C Collision in SoCal because I love the look of the OEM spoiler on my 80. Side note: They work on Singer vehicles which I understand is a shtshow of an operation unbeknownst to the ig type car crazed community.

I also had them redo the rear window gasket which is another area of concern on the hatch. Fortunately, there was no rust on mine since it was never touched.

Address it before it gets worse if you care.

Last edited:
Another fastidious piece of 80 content by Kernal. :steer:

This is why I lol when I see casual claims of a "rust free!" 80 series in fs ads. If you have the factory spoiler and you've never touched it, 99% prob you have rust no matter where your 80 lived.

I had my rusty holes remediated by a pro body shop called C&C Collision in SoCal because I love the look of the OEM spoiler on my 80. Side note: They work on Singer vehicles which I understand is a shtshow of an operation unbeknownst to the ig type car crazed community.

I also had them redo the rear window gasket which is another area of concern on the hatch. Fortunately, there was no rust on mine since it was never touched.

Address it before it gets worse if you care.

Maybe somewhere down the line I'll look into a body shop putting the wing on in a more permanent fashion. I'm going to check out @Kernal suggestion of 3m Heavy Duty tape, and I may utilize some heavy duty magnets.

My biggest area of concern is the front driver/passenger floorboards. I had no idea about the sunroof drains and if they become clogged then water drains into those floorboards. I thought I had a bad seal in the sunroof until I did a search ON sunroof seals and found the drains are a spot of contention. Since then, and just prior to this past rain season (I live/work in the Vancouver/Portland area) she was tarped to prevent any more drainage until a buddy and I can get the sunroof open (SUPRISE...it is stuck shut) and then clean the drains out. I haven't yet pulled the carpet up yet and I don't know if I want to.

If there's some rust, I'll deal with it as best I can.

Thankfully, the underside of the rig doesn't show any sign of rust anywhere.

NICE!

You could definitely blind someone who's tailgating you, hahaha!
Too often we were getting into camp late at night and couldn't see anything to setup our ground tent.

Maybe somewhere down the line I'll look into a body shop putting the wing on in a more permanent fashion. I'm going to check out @Kernal suggestion of 3m Heavy Duty tape, and I may utilize some heavy duty magnets.

My biggest area of concern is the front driver/passenger floorboards. I had no idea about the sunroof drains and if they become clogged then water drains into those floorboards. I thought I had a bad seal in the sunroof until I did a search ON sunroof seals and found the drains are a spot of contention. Since then, and just prior to this past rain season (I live/work in the Vancouver/Portland area) she was tarped to prevent any more drainage until a buddy and I can get the sunroof open (SUPRISE...it is stuck shut) and then clean the drains out. I haven't yet pulled the carpet up yet and I don't know if I want to.

If there's some rust, I'll deal with it as best I can.

Thankfully, the underside of the rig doesn't show any sign of rust anywhere.
I’d also check your front windshield. If it’s been changed, you’ll want to verify that the previous install(s) didn’t leave behind cuts into the metal body shell where rust will inevitably rear its ugly head over time. This occurs at both front and rear glass areas where one has to remove and reinstall the rubber gasket. Wankers literally cut corners and go super wanker mode by negligently not remediating their wanked out work.

When I replaced my aftermarket Fuyao windshield glass with OEM, my non-wanker installer showed me a few spots of rust on my West Coast 80. I’m lucky to have caught it early as they were tiny dots that could’ve become what you see here in this thread at the spoiler nutserts. It’s one thing to have a hatch rust out. It’s another level of saddies to have the body shell show boo boos.

Good fix and it does not look bad at all. I will have to check this. I know I had surface rust under the stock roof rack when I pulled that off.

Finally got around to taking off my deflector mounts and sure enough, rusted just like Kernal's. I'm half tempted to remove the nutserts, sand it all down, weld the holes and paint over it. My rear wiper works just fine in all weather conditions.

Since my rear glass was blown out in 2018 I haven't had the deflector on and it hasn't really made a difference.

Post up some photos if you took any.

It's just more aesthetically pleasing to me :)
I don't like the looks of these and am glad mine doesn't have it. Dust deflector eh? Completely worthless here.

Although the roof rack looks OK (IMO) on these, it will be going away soon. Inspecting through the gap behind sunroof, the rack attaching screws coming through the roof are wet. Not a great idea to have drill holes through sheet metal in very rainy locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom