Check Out This Recovery Option: The Bush Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if anyone has heard or seen of this simple but effective recovery system. This is a great solution for those of us who do not have a winch mounted on our rig. It is also very portable. It is a surprise this design was not thought of sooner. It is basically another set of rims that attach to the vehicle's rims and spools in the cable to pull the vehicle out of a pitfall.

The only disadvantage is the international shipping you may have to pay in addition to the product since the company is based out of Australia. It retails for $580 AUD, which is about $400 US. I doubt that there would be a customs duty with it, although I also did not have a chance to look for a North American vendor either.

www.bushwinch.com.au

Not sure if anyone has heard or seen of this simple but effective recovery system. This is a great solution for those of us who do not have a winch mounted on our rig. It is also very portable. It is a surprise this design was not thought of sooner. It is basically another set of rims that attach to the vehicle's rims and spools in the cable to pull the vehicle out of a pitfall.

The only disadvantage is the international shipping you may have to pay in addition to the product since the company is based out of Australia. It retails for $580 AUD, which is about $400 US. I doubt that there would be a customs duty with it, although I also did not have a chance to look for a North American vendor either.

www.bushwinch.com.au
Hmmm... It might work in the open bush of the outback, but I don't think it would be practical for the terrain we wheel. Not to mention the setup time.

Last edited:
Didn't know anyone was still making those.
If it were $60 then it would make sense. I remember the old timers wrapping rope/straps around the tire in a similar fashion.
$400 is decent Chinese electric winch money

Twice I saw a set of McCaine hub winches in use back in the early 70's. First on a soft sand beach and a few weeks later in a sloppy sluice of wet clay. It worked well on the flat beach where we could align the anchors so side-slipping was minimal. Not so much in the sluice when the vehicle slipped sideways. Guide pulleys ripped off the bumper and the cable slipped off one side. This pulled the vehicle crossways, tangled the cable something awful and ended up making the recovery twice as hard. We almost turned the vehicle over trying to realign it (it was a top heavy van). Better than nothing, but very difficult to use if you can't control the alignment of the anchor points.

www.bushwinch.com.au
There's another system which actually goes through your wheel. Again, currently based in Australia but they are looking for product testers in the US. www.bogout.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom